Re: Training with Hayfever

  • dready_pete
    Message 1 of 30 , May 5, 2011
      I thought I'd update a little on what I'm this year. I'm still sticking to the all the stuff below (read the post below this one for more details), but I have noticed for me that wheat seems to trigger stronger reactions, so I tend to avoid it during the season. This year that got me thinking. I'm experimenting with co enzyme q10 & glutamine several times a day. Both aid the stomach in different ways, but both will lessen the assimilation of unwanted proteins through the stomach. I was thinking that if wheat can cause hayfever to get worse could this be because wheat proteins trigger or worsen hayfever? If so, by making the gut better (q10 has been shown to lessen leaky gut & glutamine is the best fuel for the gut to use) then maybe hayfever will be less. I have zero evidence for this, it is all theory I just made up this year when thinking about it, but as I happen to have glutamine in right now & my partner is using q10, then why not give it a go & see how I am this year.
      Anyway I'm not suggesting that you try this, but I'm just letting you know what I'm trying out right now.
      You can read the rest of my hayfever plans below.

      Pete Ryan www.veganbodybuilding.org

    • Pat Reeves
      Message 2 of 30 , May 5, 2011
        Hi Pete!
        Good to hear from you - sounds like you have a pretty sound programme there!
        I've attached some general info which I give to patients with asthma/hay
        fever etc. You may be able to use some.
        Leaving here tomorrow to referee at European Championships in Bournemouth -
        back Monday.
        Had follow-up with surgeon yeaterday - had to report that the sub-acromial
        decompression really has not made any difference - except to make locking
        out the deadlift painful! - something I did not have pre-op! Physio is
        giving me lots of shoulder retractions and it is slowly improving, but
        pulling 60k (my warm-up) remains painful on lock-out, However, 70, 80, 90,
        95 gets better. I'm hoping to pull a little over 90 (my present World record
        at M6) at German Nationals on 12 June - then inch up half/one kilo at World
        event 24/25/26th June in US. I cannot over-stretch myself as tear is already
        getting bigger. I have pinned him down to doing the major repairwork on 29th
        June - twenty-hours after I touch down in UK! - that provides the recovery
        time I need to compete at my qualifier on Nov 6th. It also puts me out of
        action with patients for the whole of July!
        At least I have a date, and can plan the rest of year accordingly.
        Spoke to Tim yesterday re sadly cannot get to 2011 festival as it is too
        close to my competition. He invited me to talk next year - said I'd be happy
        to do Brighton or Bristol - but the World event is either May/June - and the
        British could be in March - so I cannot say 'yes' to either event until I
        have the dates - hopefully later this year.
        Ok - work calls...................take care - love Pat.

        On 5 May 2011 18:22, dready_pete <pete@...> wrote:

        > I thought I'd update a little on what I'm this year. I'm still sticking to
        > the all the stuff below (read the post below this one for more details), but
        > I have noticed for me that wheat seems to trigger stronger reactions, so I
        > tend to avoid it during the season. This year that got me thinking. I'm
        > experimenting with co enzyme q10 & glutamine several times a day. Both aid
        > the stomach in different ways, but both will lessen the assimilation of
        > unwanted proteins through the stomach. I was thinking that if wheat can
        > cause hayfever to get worse could this be because wheat proteins trigger or
        > worsen hayfever? If so, by making the gut better (q10 has been shown to
        > lessen leaky gut & glutamine is the best fuel for the gut to use) then maybe
        > hayfever will be less. I have zero evidence for this, it is all theory I
        > just made up this year when thinking about it, but as I happen to have
        > glutamine in right now & my partner is using q10, then why not give it a go
        > & see how I am this year.
        > Anyway I'm not suggesting that you try this, but I'm just letting you know
        > what I'm trying out right now.
        > You can read the rest of my hayfever plans below.
        >
        > Pete Ryan www.veganbodybuilding.org

        *Pat Reeves, Practitioner of Nutritional and Functional Medicine.*
        *
        FULL MEMBER OF THE BRITISH ASSOCIATION FOR APPLIED NUTRITION AND NUTRITIONAL
        THERAPY.
        *
        *Registered with Nutritional Therapy Council and CNHC Reg.no. 000057 - A11.
        *
        *For information on living foods, courses, and to obtain my inspirational
        book *
        * 'A Living Miracle' please visit my website www.foodalive.org*
        *
        *

      • Vegan Bodybuilding
        Message 3 of 30 , May 5, 2011
          Hi Pat,
          you can't send attachments to the group as it's too easy to spread a
          virus that way, if you could email me the hayfever stuff directly then
          that would be ace as I like to see the new thinking on these things as
          I'm sure there's a lot I miss as I don't really keep a close eye on
          research in that field at all!
          That's bad about your shoulder, but maybe it's just a slow healer,
          shoulders are so complex & need so many muscles to balance to function
          correctly that maybe a while in rehab will sort it out. I've been
          playing around with mini bands trying out lateral movements, forward &
          backwards & step-up type movements all for the shoulders (so the bands
          are around the wrists). I've found lateral step-ups, bear-crawls
          forward & back, step-ups with the hands & lateral walks with the arms
          have felt like they've really helped my shoulders. I'm not suggesting
          you do them as you have a physio so I'd stick with their advice, but
          as something people could add as warm-up, they could make ace pre-hab,
          activation type exercises for people to try out (you can also use mini
          bands for legs as well they are great fun for a warm-up, but we are
          talking shoulders right now).
          Anyway hope you recover fully soon,

          On 5 May 2011 18:59, Pat Reeves <pat@...> wrote:
          > Hi Pete!
          > Good to hear from you - sounds like you have a pretty sound programme there!
          > I've attached some general info which I give to patients with asthma/hay
          > fever etc. You may be able to use some.
          > Leaving here tomorrow to referee at European Championships in Bournemouth -
          > back Monday.
          > Had follow-up with surgeon yeaterday - had to report that the sub-acromial
          > decompression really has not made any difference - except to make locking
          > out the deadlift painful! - something I did not have pre-op! Physio is
          > giving me lots of shoulder retractions and it is slowly improving, but
          > pulling 60k (my warm-up) remains painful on lock-out, However, 70, 80, 90,
          > 95 gets better. I'm hoping to pull a little over 90 (my present World record
          > at M6) at German Nationals on 12 June - then inch up half/one kilo at World
          > event 24/25/26th June in US. I cannot over-stretch myself as tear is already
          > getting bigger. I have pinned him down to doing the major repairwork on 29th
          > June - twenty-hours after I touch down in UK! - that provides the recovery
          > time I need to compete at my qualifier on Nov 6th. It also puts me out of
          > action with patients for the whole of July!
          > At least I have a date, and can plan the rest of year accordingly.
          > Spoke to Tim yesterday re sadly cannot get to 2011 festival as it is too
          > close to my competition. He invited me to talk next year - said I'd be happy
          > to do Brighton or Bristol - but the World event is either May/June - and the
          > British could be in March - so I cannot say 'yes' to either event until I
          > have the dates - hopefully later this year.
          > Ok - work calls...................take care - love Pat.
          >
          > On 5 May 2011 18:22, dready_pete <pete@...> wrote:
          >

          >> I thought I'd update a little on what I'm this year. I'm still sticking to
          >> the all the stuff below (read the post below this one for more details), but
          >> I have noticed for me that wheat seems to trigger stronger reactions, so I
          >> tend to avoid it during the season. This year that got me thinking. I'm
          >> experimenting with co enzyme q10 & glutamine several times a day. Both aid
          >> the stomach in different ways, but both will lessen the assimilation of
          >> unwanted proteins through the stomach. I was thinking that if wheat can
          >> cause hayfever to get worse could this be because wheat proteins trigger or
          >> worsen hayfever? If so, by making the gut better (q10 has been shown to
          >> lessen leaky gut & glutamine is the best fuel for the gut to use) then maybe
          >> hayfever will be less. I have zero evidence for this, it is all theory I
          >> just made up this year when thinking about it, but as I happen to have
          >> glutamine in right now & my partner is using q10, then why not give it a go
          >> & see how I am this year.
          >> Anyway I'm not suggesting that you try this, but I'm just letting you know
          >> what I'm trying out right now.
          >> You can read the rest of my hayfever plans below.
          >>
          >> Pete Ryan www.veganbodybuilding.org

        • Pat Reeves
          Message 4 of 30 , May 5, 2011
            Hi Pete!
            Ok, please provide alternative email ad for yourself and I can send the
            attachment!
            Present physio is good - we are doing all the band stuff.
            Upcoming surgery is unlikely to create an increase in my lifts, but may just
            allow me to lift for longer - and that's obviously my long-term plan!
            So, I have to undergo all the agony I went through last year, with no
            'immediate' advantages - but on balance - I think this is the best option,
            as the tear will simply get worse with time: I accepted the surgery after
            careful consideration.
            Around until midday tomorrow before I leave for Bournemouth.
            Love, Pat