Re: [veganbodybuilding] My training goals

  • Vegan Bodybuilding
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 29, 2003
      Hi Adam,
      During the 6 week Hypertrophy phase I'm doing a 4 day split.  It's a bit of an odd split designed to balance up some of my specific weaknesses.  I do Monday, Tuesday, Thurs, Friday (2 days on,1 day off, 2days on, 2 days off). 45-60 secs between sets (well maybe a touch longer between squats :-)

      On Monday - I do legs, but at the start I do seated BB shoulder press, then leg extensions, squats, leg curls, SLDLs, calf raises, hand grippers .

      Tuesday - back & chest.  First I do chins (I'm using a system called 'ladders' first set 1 rep, 2nd set 2 reps, 3rd set 3 reps...so on, until you can't do a set with 1 more rep, then you do sets of 1 rep less each set until you're back to 1 rep set-see clarence bass site for more details, http://www.cbass.com/ ), then pulldowns (wide grip), cross-bench pullovers, bent over BB row, incline press, Pressdown, Rope hold (hold a weighted rope for time).

      Thursday - Shoulders.  Upright row (keeping elbows low - had rotator cuff problems in the past, so can't do high elbow version), Lat raise, DB seated shoulder press (super-set, 1 arm at a time), bent over lat raise, curl & press (old exercise that's done just like it sounds!), hammer curl, Pinch grip.

      Friday - Legs (but starting with) Dip, Deadlift on boards (standing on boards really adds to the leg involvement), good mornings, calf raise, Reverse back raise (or Hyper extension), wrist curl, reverse wrist curl.

      I'm really trying to push shoulder & leg development for a while (as is obvious).  It's not your conventional split & I'll be going back to a more balanced routine after this 6 weeks is over, but that's how it looks at the moment.

      Reps I'm doing light, medium & heavy weeks, so:
      Week 1 - (light) 50% RM 12 x 3
      Week 2 - (medium)  60% RM 12 x 3
      Week 3 - (heavy)  60% RM 15 x 3
      Week 4 - (light) 50% RM 12 x 3 (by now your 50% RM is presumed slightly higher, so the weight is a bit more than last time)
      Week 5 - (medium) 60% RM 12 x 3
      Week 6 - (heavy) 70% RM 10 x 3
      That's the hypertrophy phase, then move on to the mixed phase where the reps are slowly lowered & time between sets extends (3 weeks duration), then 6 weeks Maximum Strength phase low reps, heavy weights, longer rest (70-90% RM/3-5 minutes rest).  After one complete cycle I'll evaluate the effectiveness of this sort of training (remember I'm aiming at balance of strength & muscle size).
      Well, what do ya think?  Worth a go?