Seven Reasons Why a Scientist Believes in God by CRESSY MORRISON

  • Ravishankar Gopal
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2007
      Dear Members,

      A. CRESSY MORRISON, Former President of the New York
      Academy of Sciences

      WE ARE STILL IN THE DAWN of the scientific age and
      every increase of light reveals more brightly the
      handiwork of an intelligent Creator. We have made
      stupendous discoveries; with a spirit of scientific
      humility and of faith grounded in knowledge we are
      approaching ever nearer to an awareness of God.

      For myself, I count seven reasons for my faith:

      1: By unwavering mathematical law we can prove that
      our universe was designed and executed by a great
      engineering intelligence.

      Suppose you put ten pennies, marked from one to ten,
      into your pocket and give them a good shuffle. Now try
      to take them out in sequence from one to ten, putting
      back the coin each time and shaking them all again.
      Mathematically we know that your chance of first
      drawing number one is one in ten; of drawing one and
      two in succession, one in 100; of drawing one, two and
      three in succession, one in 1000, and so on; your
      chance of drawing them all, from number one to number
      ten in succession, would reach the unbelievable figure
      of one in ten billion.

      By the same reasoning, so many exacting conditions are
      necessary for life on the earth that they could not
      possibly exist in proper relationship by chance. The
      earth rotates on its axis 1000 miles an hour at the
      equator; if it turned at 100 miles an hour, our days
      and nights would be ten times as long as now, and the
      hot sun would likely burn up our vegetation each long
      day while in the long night any surviving sprout might
      well freeze.

      Again the sun, source of our life, has a surface
      temperature of 10,000 degrees Fahrenheit, and our
      earth is just far enough away so that this "eternal
      life" warms us just enough and not too much ! If the
      sun gave off only one half its present radiation, we
      would freeze, and if it gave as much more, we would
      roast.

      The slant of the earth, tilted at an angle of 23
      degrees, gives us our seasons; if the earth had not
      been so tilted, vapors from the ocean would move north
      and south, piling up for us continents of ice. If our
      moon were, say, only 50,000 miles away instead of its
      actual distance, our tides might be so enormous that
      twice a day all continents would be submerged; even
      the mountains could soon be eroded away. If the crust
      of the earth had only been ten feet thicker, there
      would be no oxygen, without which animal life must
      die. Had the ocean been a few feet deeper, carbon
      dioxide and oxygen would have been absorbed and no
      vegetable life could exist.

      It is apparent from these and a host of other examples
      that there is not one chance in billions that life on
      our planet is an accident but It is his Grace we
      exist.

      2: The resourcefulness of life to accomplish its
      purpose is a manifestation of an all-pervading
      Intelligence.

      What life itself is, no man has fathomed. It has
      neither weight nor dimensions, but it does have force;
      a growing root will crack a rock. Life has conquered
      water, land and air, mastering the elements,
      compelling them to dissolve and reform their
      combinations.

      Life, the sculptor, shapes all living things; an
      artist, it designs every leaf of every tree, and
      colors every flower. Life is a musician and has taught
      each bird to sing its love song, the insects to call
      one another in the music of their multitudinous
      sounds. Life is a sublime chemist, giving taste to
      fruits and spices, and perfume to the rose, changing
      water and carbonic acid into sugar and wood, and, in
      so doing, releasing oxygen that animals may have the
      breath of life.

      Behold an almost invisible drop of protoplasm,
      transparent, jellylike, capable of motion, drawing
      energy from the sun. This single cell, this
      transparent mist-like droplet, holds within itself the
      germ of life, and has power to distribute this life to
      every living thing, great and small. The powers of
      this droplet are greater than our vegetation and
      animals and people, for all life came from it. Nature
      did not create life; fire-blistered rocks and a salt
      less sea could not meet the necessary requirements.

      Who, then, has put it here?

      3: Animal wisdom speaks irresistibly of a good Creator
      who infused instinct into otherwise helpless little
      creatures.

      The young salmon spends years at sea, then comes back
      to his own river, and travels up the very side of the
      river into which flows the tributary where he was
      born. What brings him back so precisely? If you
      transfer him to another tributary he will know at once
      that he is off his course and he will fight his way
      down and back to the main stream and then turn up
      against the current to finish his destiny accurately.

      Even more difficult to solve is the mystery of eels.
      These amazing creatures migrate at maturity from ponds
      and rivers everywhere - those from Europe across
      thousands of miles of ocean - all bound for the same
      abysmal deeps near Bermuda . There they breed and die.
      The little ones, with no apparent means of knowing
      anything except that they are in a wilderness of
      water, nevertheless start back and find their way not
      only to the very shore from which their parents came
      but thence to the selfsame rivers, lakes or little
      ponds. No American eel has ever been caught in Europe
      , no European eel in American waters. Nature has even
      delayed the maturity of the European eel by a year or
      more to make up for its longer journey. Where does the
      directional impulse originate?

      4: Man has something more than animal instinct - the
      power of reason.

      No other animal has ever left a record of its ability
      to count ten, or even to understand the meaning of
      ten. Where instinct is like a single note of a flute,
      beautiful but limited, the human brain contains all
      the notes of all the instruments in the orchestra. No
      need to belabor this fourth point; thanks to human
      reason we can contemplate the possibility that we are
      what we are only because we have received a spark of
      Universal Intelligence.

      5: Provision for all living is revealed in such
      phenomena as the wonders of genes.

      So tiny are these genes that, if all of them
      responsible for all living people in the world could
      be put in one place, there would be less than a
      thimbleful. Yet these genes inhabit every living cell
      and are the keys to all human, animal and vegetable
      characteristics. A thimble is a small place to hold
      all the individual characteristics of almost three
      billion human beings. However, the facts are beyond
      question.

      Here evolution really begins - at the cell, the entity
      which holds and carries the genes. That the
      ultra-microscopic gene can absolutely rule all life on
      earth is an example of profound cunning and provision
      that could emanate only from a Creative Intelligence;
      no other hypothesis will serve.

      6: By the economy of nature, we are forced to realize
      that only infinite wisdom could have foreseen and
      prepared with such astute husbandry.

      Many years ago a species of cactus was planted in
      Australia as a protective fence. Having no insect
      enemies in Australia , the cactus soon began a
      prodigious growth; the alarming abundance persisted
      until the plants covered an area as long and wide as
      England , crowding inhabitants out of the towns and
      villages, and destroying their farms. Seeking a
      defense, entomologists scoured the world; finally they
      turned up an insect which lived exclusively on cactus,
      and would eat nothing else. It would breed freely,
      too; and it had no enemies in Australia . So animal
      soon conquered vegetable, and today the cactus pest
      has retreated - and with it all but a small protective
      residue of the insects, enough to hold the cactus in
      check forever.

      Such checks and balances have been universally
      provided. Why have not fast-breeding insects dominated
      the earth? Because they have no lungs such as man
      possesses; they breathe through tubes. But when
      insects grow large, their tubes do not grow in ratio
      to the increasing size of the body. Hence there never
      has been an insect of great size; this limitation on
      growth has held them all in check. If this physical
      check had not been provided, man could not exist.
      Imagine meeting a hornet as big as a lion!

      7: The fact that man can conceive the idea of God is
      in itself a unique proof.

      The conception of God rises from a divine faculty of
      man, unshared with the rest of our world - the faculty
      we call imagination. By its power, man and man alone
      can find the evidence of things unseen. The vista that
      power opens up is unbounded; indeed, as man's
      perfected imagination becomes a spiritual reality, he
      may discern in all the evidence of design and purpose
      the great truth that heaven is wherever and whatever;
      that God is everywhere and in everything that nowhere
      so close as in our hearts.

      It is scientifically as well as imaginatively true,
      as the Psalmist said: The heavens declare the Glory of
      God and the firmament showeth His handiwork.

      Regards

      Pl Chant

      Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare
      Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
      If you have any questions or doubts concerning
      Spirituality, Mental peace or problems in life or
      about dharma, please write to us by clicking here:
      http://www.namadwaar.org/answers/askquestion.php

      His Holiness Sri Sri Swamiji personally answers these
      questions for you and suggests prayers.
      For more Namakirtan articles please visit
      http://guruandnamakirtan.blogspot.com/

      Be a better pen pal.