Project Bhakti Hinduism Classes for Children!

  • Divya Venkat
    Message 1 of 86 , Jul 2, 2007
      Dear Friends,
                           Please find attached the flyer for Project Bhakti Hinduism classes for children. These classes have been going on successfully in Singapore under the able support of Hindu Endowments Board for the past 6 yrs by God's grace and we have quite a large pool of children who have registered for the same. The classes for the next module begin on July 8th which is the coming Sunday and will continue every Sunday for 12 weeks from 9-11am in various temples as given in the flyer.

      Please help in passing the flyer to all the parents who might be interested to send their children to these classes.

      We are also looking for youth volunteers who would love to be a part of this Bhakti family and are willing to learn about our culture and also teach the children to mould them further. Training would be provided for all volunteers. The trainings would be on Saturday afternoons.

      Since more and more new children are registering for the classes, we require a good pool of dedicated teachers who would like to volunteer themselves to this noble cause, and at the same time be an active learner and share their knowledge/ideas with the rest of us. Please pass on this message to anyone who might be interested.

      Interested volunteers, pls mail me to confirm so that I could be in touch with you and provide you with further details.

      Thank you very much,

      Om & Prem,
      Divya.

    • Divya Venkat
      Message 86 of 86 , Jul 31, 2007
        A LESSON FROM ALICE FREEMAN

        Alice Freeman Palmer, the second president of Wellesley College, was happiest when she was doing most for others.

        When she left the college in 1887, she gave herself so unweariedly to her self-imposed task of lightening the burdens of the unfortunate that her husband, a Harvard professor expostulated. He thought she should give her time and strength to writing books that would make her still more famous.

        "You are building no monument," he said. "When you are gone, people will ask who you are and no one will be able to say."

        "Well why should they?" was the answer. "I am trying to make people happier and wiser. Books don't help much toward that. It is people that count. You want to put yourself into people; they touch other people; these, others still, and so you go on working forever." !!

        That was such a wonderful and touching answer isnt it?

        SPIRITUAL COMMENTARY

        What makes us human is our capacity to love. Love is that quality that erases prejudice and moves us to forgive, gives us peace of mind in a turbulent world, and keeps us sane.

        Love sees broken souls and heals them. Love hears plaintive cries and answers. Love discerns a need and fulfills it. Love does not see color, race or features; love sees people.

        Yes, we are imperfect. Our love is imperfect but the power of love overshadows its imperfections. The power of love knows no boundaries, no walls. It holds no record of misgivings but believes in second chances.

        Love does not ask for anything in return. It is at times a self-sacrificing gift but it is given freely. For when we give love and see the difference that one act of love can make, the feeling is priceless, indescribable.

        And in that one moment, we get a glimpse of the power contained in each of us, the power, not to change the world, but to change a part of the world. And then we see the power of our love working in unison, the power to change the world!

        A person with true love in his/heart has the power to have a positive influence in every life he touches and makes a deep influence on others!

        The only way of getting into another person's heart or to influence anyone positively is through genuine unconditional love!

        But how to love others unconditionally when there are so many differences between each of us??

        You can't please everybody. Every one of us is born unique in our ways, outlook, attitudes, likes, dislikes, opinions, and perspective. Come to think of it, even if we have a lot of things that are different from each other, we still are set by boundaries, norms and principles for socially acceptable behavior so that we can co-exist peacefully.

        Here are just basic things to remember. One is to realize and put in our hearts that we should respect other's ways, outlooks, attitudes, likes and dislikes, opinions or perspective. If we do that, there comes the acceptance that no one has to be like you or you don't need to be like the others, just so you could get along.

        Do not expect others to see your way. If they don't, respect that. Do not expect others to make the same decisions that you do. If they don't, respect that. Conflicts are second-nature to humans. People are argumentative to a fault, in many aspects of our lives. We just have to stop and listen. We don't have to agree, but respect others ideas and opinions.

        If you don't want to get stumped while expressing your thoughts, then don't do that to others as well. In this generation and age, people are accustomed to just being in a group, organization, or having friends that also have the same viewpoints as we do. By doing this, we limit our capabilities to inculcate respect.

        And remember, you can only be on the same wavelength with someone else to a minimal extent. Even twins are not so much alike.

        Next time you would have a cross (a disagreement) with someone, remember all these. You are at an advantage because that person might go on because he doesn't know that respect is needed to ensure that we live peacefully. And if you stoop down to his level, you are the loser, not him. Understanding is respecting. Respecting is not a way to please everyone but a course to ensure that you are a principled person.

        Love blossoms and grows only if we have true respect for eachother!

        Respect others and learn to love......till your heart is overflowing with the fullness of happiness..then it will naturally flow to others also!