Glories to Our Guru's...... Guru Purnima seri es…. Part-2 - Madhurakavi Azhwar

  • Ravishankar Gopal
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2012
      Radhe Krishna All,

      On this occasion of Guru Purnima week we are sharing the discourse of H.H.Sri Sri Muralidhara swamiji about certain Great disciples who were deeply devoted to their Guru's.

                          Guru Bhakti - 2: Madhurakavi Azhwar

      The descent of saints (Mahans) on this earth is indeed a boon conferred upon us by the Lord in order to uplift us from the clutches of samsara (Family life). The stories depicting the lives of such Mahans are as Holy as the scriptures such as Ramayana and Srimad Bhagavatam.(Life and glories of Lord Sri.Krishna)

      The association of such sages purifies the tainted mind (which is akin to impure water) and makes it devoid of all the vileness (and thus made pure like the Holy Ganges). Having carried far away from the Lotus Feet of the Lord by the strong currents of samsara the grace of the Mahans is the only thing that takes us back to the proximity of the Lord. During the lifetime of such Mahans, many cross the ocean of samsara by adhering to their teachings (Upadesa). In order to elevate the men of the world, Mahans attract them by their speech, gait, gestures and virtues. Having taken refuge at the Lotus Feet of such great souls and having enjoyed their immense grace, many people worship them as their very Lord and are bound to them by love. The mind (of such people) which is enslaved to the Guru (and bound by love), refuses to be attracted even towards God! They experience inexplicable bliss in serving and celebrating their Guru. Madhurakavi Azhwar was one such guru Bhakta (devotee of guru).

      Madhurakavi Azhwar is one among the twelve Azhwars. The word Azhwar means -"One immersed in the thought of Lord". But Madhurakavi Azhwar differed from this general description! This was because he was forever contemplating on the Lotus Feet of his Guru. He demonstrated the greatness of Guru Bhakti. He says:-"The Lord Damodara (one bound by chains to the mortar) is indeed my God. But the very thought of my Guru and the utterance of His Name alone gives me bliss." He considered serving his Guru and singing His glory to be his livelihood.

      Once Nammazhwar was singing (Thiruvaymozhi) on the Lord. Madhurakavi Azhwar was scribing the 'pasurams' recited by Nammazhwar. At one point while Nammazhwar was describing the 'Damodara Leela' of the Lord, he shed immense tears of love at the thought of Lord's compassion and grace and went into ecstasy (Samadhi). He
      remained absorbed in that state for six months. At the end of six months, he came out of ecstasy and continued the recital of that pasuram. All the six months, Madhurakavi Azhwar did not stir from the place. Keeping his eyes fixed on the Lotus of his Guru's face, he awaited patiently for his Guru's next word. The Vaishnavas thus exclaim: -

      "Nammazhwar was steeped in ecstasy and was unaware of surroundings, space and time. But Madhurakavi Azhwar, who was thoroughly conscious of his surroundings, space and time, sat without stirring before his Guru for all the six months. Great indeed is his guru Bhakti!"

      Madhurakavi Azhwar teaches us through his pasuram (a type of song, usually religious, specifically written for the purpose of praise, adoration or prayer of lord) thus: -"It is
      needless to worry that 'I am not literate', 'I am not shrewd enough' or 'I lack devotion'. For, immaterial of all these, our Guru will correct us and will bind us with His compassion and love." Thus, Madhurakavi Azhwar proved to be the pioneer amongst the Vaishnava Acharyas to show the greatness of Guru Bhakti.

      !!!!More Glories of Guru's will follow!!!!
      ---------------------
                                              "Azhaikkindraan Arangan"

      http://youtu.be/e1EAye2XwoM - (18-6-12)

      http://youtu.be/63QIBp48AhI - (19-6-12)

      http://youtu.be/d4I67OEQb4c - (20-6-12)

      http://youtu.be/9eBzcWxt_jU - (21-6-12)

      http://youtu.be/lEp2GxWQAPc - (22-6-12)

      From 2nd April - 2012, Sri Swamiji's new discourse series "Azhaikkindraan Arangan" is been telecasted on STAR VIJAY TV from Monday to Friday at  7:15 AM.... For live telecast -  http://livetvchannelsfree.in/starvijay.htm

      Don't miss it!
      Regards & Chant the Maha Mantra:
      Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare
      Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
      Pl visit: http://www.namadwaar.org/home.php