Tale on what is True Sympathy & Consideration for others!!

  • Divya Venkat
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 27, 2006
      SWAMI VIVEKANANDA AND THE OLD MAN

      Once Swami Vivekananda was in a certain town to give
      spiritual discourses. People recognised in him a great
      monk and profound scholar. They listened to his
      discourses with rapt attention for about three days.

      Every day, when the discourse came to an end, some
      people used to gather around him to ask about certain
      subtle points on Sadhana, Ethics and Sastras. Students
      were eager to know about national regeneration and the
      solutions he could suggest.

      There was an old man sitting in a corner observing
      Vivekananda with avidity but could not speak one word.
      He was there all the three days, waiting for a chance
      to be near the monk.

      On the third day he made bold, went to him and said:
      "Son! Shall I bring you something to eat? These people
      never gave you anything nor did they give you time to
      relax and think about your food. I shall run and be
      back with food and drink for you."

      Vivekananda was greatly touched by the loving words
      spoken by the old man. He said with a beaming smile:
      "Come, let us go together to your place to eat and
      drink." !

      SPIRITUAL COMMENTARY

      Blessed indeed was the old man for he had sympathy and
      consideration for a fellow human being.

      He was ready to render loving service to the monk.

      This indeed is true devotion and he is indeed a true
      devotee!!

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Divya Venkat
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 28, 2006
        NARADA AND THE LORD

        Once upon a time, sage Narada came into the presence
        of the Lord. The Lord asked him, "Narada, in all your
        travels through the world have you been able to
        discover the principal secret of the universe? Have
        you been able to understand the mystery behind this
        world? Everywhere you look you see the five great
        elements, earth, water, fire, air and ether. Which do
        you think occupies the first place? Of everything that
        is to be found in the universe what is the most
        important of all?"

        Narada thought for awhile and then answered, "Lord, of
        the five elements the densest, biggest and most
        important is surely the earth element."

        The Lord answered, "How can the earth element be
        biggest when three-fourths of the earth is covered by
        water and only one-fourth is land? Such a big earth is
        being swallowed by the water. What is bigger, the
        thing that is being swallowed or that which is
        swallowing it?" Narada acknowledged that water must be
        bigger because it had swallowed the Earth.

        The Lord continued his questioning. He said, "But
        Narada, we have the ancient tale that when the demons
        hid in the waters, then in order to find them, a great
        sage came and swallowed up the whole ocean in one
        gulp. Do you think the sage is greater or the ocean is
        greater?"

        Narada had to agree that without doubt the sage was
        certainly greater than the water he had swallowed.

        "But," continued the Lord, "it is said that when he
        left his earthly body, this same sage became a star in
        the heavens. Such a great sage is now appearing only
        as a small star in the vast expanse of the sky. Then
        what do you think is bigger; is it the sage or is it
        the sky that is bigger?"

        Narada answered, "Swami, the sky is surely bigger than
        the sage." Then the Lord asked, "Yet we know that one
        time when the Lord came as avatar and incarnated in a
        dwarf-body, he expanded himself so hugely that he was
        able to cover both the earth and the sky with his one
        foot. Do you think God's foot is bigger or the sky?"

        "O, God's foot is certainly bigger," Narada replied.
        But, the Lord asked, "If God's foot is so big, then
        what about his infinite form?"

        Now, Narada felt that he had come to the final
        conclusion. "Yes," he said exultantly, "the Lord is
        the biggest of all. He is infinite beyond measure. In
        all the worlds there is nothing greater than he."

        But the Lord had still one more question. "What about
        the devotee who has been able to imprison this
        infinite Lord within his own heart? Now tell me,
        Narada, who is greater, the devotee who has the Lord
        locked up or the Lord who is locked up by the
        devotee?"

        Narada had to admit that the devotee was even greater
        than the Lord, and that, therefore, the devotee must
        rank first in importance over everything, surpassing
        even the Lord.

        SPIRITUAL COMMENTARY

        A true devotee of the Lord has a devotion which is
        unintermittent, uninterrupted, like the flow of oil
        from one vessel to another.His devotion is not
        dispirited; nor elated or satisfied with lesser gains;
        it always fights against failure, loss, calumny,
        calamity, ridicule and against egoism and pride,
        impatience and cowardice.

        To such a devotee, God Himself is at his service at
        all times as both of them cannot exist without
        eachother.Such devotees never perish as Lord krishna
        tells in Bhagavad Gita - " Na Me Bhaktaha
        Pranashyati"- Chap 9,verse 31 meaning- "My Devotees
        shall never perish"!.

        But it should not be misunderstood that only those who
        worship a picture or image with pompous paraphernalia
        are devotees. Whoever walks straight along the moral
        path, whoever acts as he speaks and speaks as he has
        seen, whoever melts at another's woe and exults at
        another's joy.... is a devotee, perhaps a greater
        devotee!

        So such a devotee should never consider himself weak,
        as God is a servant of such devotees. If we have God
        installed in our hearts through our love for Him, we
        can have the whole world. So we must develop devotion.
        We should shape our hearts into purer more suitable
        dwelling places for God.

        Once a devotee prayed, "Oh God, if you were a tree, I
        would climb around you like a creeper. It is my desire
        to never be separate from you. Oh God, if You were a
        fragrant flower, I would go around You like a bee
        making a humming sound until I finished drinking the
        nectar from You. If You were the ocean, I would be a
        river and merge into You. If You were the sky, I would
        be the star shining there in You. If You were a
        mountain, I would be the stream running over you."

        That is the kind of feeling and intimate relationship
        that should exist between God and the devotee. As a
        flower blooms, it does not invite the honeybee to come
        to it. So also, the devotee on his own should go and
        merge himself in God. There is no fundamental
        difference between a river and the ocean, but so long
        as they are separate they carry different names. When
        once they merge together, they would have the same
        name and taste.

        God without the devotee and the devotee without God
        cannot exist. Some people think that God is
        stone-hearted, but God is softer than butter. What
        must one do to melt this soft, sweet butter that is
        God? One must apply Love; that is the heat. The more
        Love (heat) that is applied, the faster God will melt.
        This heat is generated by repetition of the name and
        simultaneous remembrance of the form of God. When the
        name and form are rubbed together, the necessary heat
        is generated. Nothing melts the heart of God except
        the devotion of the devotee!!

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Divya Venkat
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 1, 2006
          THE THREE DOLLS

          It was a king's court, the ministers, pundits and
          artists were all seated in their respective places.
          The king and his ministers had earned quite a name and
          fame for their wit and wisdom.

          One day a sage entered the court. He was given a warm
          welcome with all honor due to him. The king asked him:
          "Oh revered one! May I know what brings you here? We
          are very happy on account of your presence here
          today."

          The sage replied: "Oh King, your court is reputed for
          its wit and wisdom. I have brought three beautiful
          dolls and I would like to have an assessment and
          evaluation of these dolls done by your ministers."

          He presented to the king the three dolls. The king
          called his senior most minister and gave him the dolls
          for examination and evaluation. The minister just
          looked once at the dolls and commanded a royal
          messenger to fetch him a thin steel-wire.

          The minister inserted the wire into the right ear of
          one of the dolls. The wire came out of the left ear.
          He kept it aside.

          He took up another doll and once again passed the wire
          into its right ear. It came out of the mouth of the
          doll. He kept that doll in one place.

          He took up the third doll and inserted the wire, it
          neither came out of the other ear nor from the mouth.
          The king and the courtiers were eagerly watching the
          scene.

          The minister paying his tributes to the sage said: "Oh
          revered one." Of the three dolls, the third one is the
          best.

          The three dolls actually are symbolic of three types
          of listening. There are three types of listeners, in
          the world. The first type listen to every word, only
          to pass it out from the other ear. The second type
          listen well, remember it well only to speak out all
          that they have heard. The third type listen, retain
          everything they have heard and treasure it up in their
          hearts. They are the best type of listeners."

          The sage congratulated the king and the minister on
          the successful evaluation of the dolls and blessing
          them both, left the court.

          SPIRITUAL COMMENTARY

          'Shravanam' is the first and the foremost among the
          nine types of devotion.

          Having heard the words of the wise, we should try to
          revolve their meaning and message in our minds and put
          them into practise to elevate our lives.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Divya Venkat
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 2, 2006
            THE BROKEN MIRROR

            Zebunnissa was the daughter of the Moghul Emperor
            Aurangazeb. She was not only beautiful and charming
            but a great scholar and a poetess. She was an ardent
            lover of Indian Culture.

            Once, Aurangazeb gave her a beautiful mirror as a
            birthday gift. Zebunnissa loved the mirror very much.

            One day her maid was holding the mirror to her while
            Zebunnissa was combing her hair after her bath. The
            mirror just slipped from the hand of the maid and
            broke into pieces. The maid was mortally afraid. She
            knew that the mirror was a precious gift, given to the
            princess and how much she loved the mirror. The maid
            was prepared to accept any punishment her princess may
            give her. She fell at her feet.

            But the princess very calmly said with a smile. "Get
            up. I am glad the instrument of flattery is broken.
            Why worry over the broken mirror? Even this body to
            which all these articles cater is liable to damage and
            destruction"!!

            SPIRITUAL COMMENTARY

            Is this not a lesson in detachment to our body?

            Once after the Kurukshetra war,Lord Krishna took
            Arjuna to Dwaraka and provided all comforts to him
            during his stay there. Arjuna was a bit embarrassed to
            take avail of the services rendered by Lord Krishna to
            him. He told Krishna "Oh! Lord! How can I take
            services from You?"

            Krishna replied, "Arjuna! You are mistaken. Whom am I
            serving? Is it your body? Even your body belongs to
            Me. It is not yours. I am the protector of all beings
            in the world. You, therefore, should not delude
            yourself thinking that you are the body.The human body
            is like a doll. However, one has to perform all his
            karmas using the body as the instrument. Man has the
            right only to perform karma. The entire world moves on
            account of karma. I am the Director of this cosmic
            play, Oh! Arjuna!"!!

            The body is made up of five elements and is bound to
            perish sooner or later, but the Indweller has neither
            birth nor death. The Indweller has no attachment
            whatsoever and is the eternal witness.

            Truly Speaking, the Dehi (indweller) is Devadeva (God
            of gods) Himself!!

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Divya Venkat
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 3, 2006
              THE SADHAKA AND HIS GURU

              Once a Sadhaka, who had great ambition to know
              something about the divine, wanted his eye of wisdom
              to be opened.

              He entered a cave where a guru was residing. While
              entering the cave he saw a small light. As he moved
              forward even that little light got extinguished.

              In darkness one feels frightened, and in fear, we
              think of God very intensively. Thus he uttered loudly
              the word ‘Namahsivaya and on hearing this, the saint
              asked him who he was.

              He said that he had come to seek his grace. The great
              saint, who was sustaining himself in the cave only by
              breathing the air around him, had the competence to
              know the mind of his visitor. He said that he will
              answer his question later but asked him first to go
              and light the light lamp, which had been extinguished.

              The visitor took a matchbox and tried to light the
              lamp but did not succeed. He told the guru that he had
              finished all the matchsticks and yet he had not
              succeeded in lighting the lamp.

              The guru then asked him to open he lamp, put out all
              the water and pour oil in it, and then try to light
              it. The person did this but the lamp would not light
              even then.

              The guru then said that the wick was probably wet with
              water and asked him to dry it nicely in the open and
              then attempt to light the lamp. He did this and
              succeeded.

              Then the person ventured to mention his need and
              sought it to the guru. The surprised guru said that
              the appropriate answer was being given all the while.

              The visitor pleaded that, being an ignorant man he was
              not able to understand the significance of the
              teaching and requested the guru to explain to him in
              clearer terms.

              The guru said: "In the vessel of your heart, there is
              the wick of your Jiva. The wick has been immersed all
              these days in the water of your sensuous desire.
              Therefore you are not able to light the lamp of
              wisdom. Pour our all the water of desires from the
              vessel of your heart, and fill it with Naamasmarana of
              God. Take the wick of Jiva and dry it in the sunshine
              of Vairagya; squeeze out of it all the water present
              in the form of desire and put into the heart the oil
              of devotion of Naamasmarana. It will be possible for
              you to light the lamp of wisdom."

              SPIRITUAL COMMENTARY

              Ramana Maharshi has said, “Once you experience the
              Self or the Atma, or the Consciousness within you or
              the Self which has the highest light intensity, you
              will see a 'light' of cosmic energy equal to intensity
              of crores of suns. But you cannot see it with the help
              of the physical, naked eyes, but only with the Inner
              Eye."

              So, once the Inner Eye of Wisdom, the Third Eye,
              experiences the Self, the Spirit or Consciousness,it
              amounts to the light intensity of thousands of crores
              of suns – ‘Atma Jyothi’. The light of the Self, the
              light of the Spirit, is a beacon. It is the Light of
              lights!

              That’s the reason why in every religion, in every
              festival, and in every activity, we start by lighting
              the lamp. The outer lamp is a symbol of the inner
              lamp, of the Inner Light. It is the Inner Light that
              makes the eyes see. If there is no Inner Light, the
              external light is useless. “There is light in me, so I
              can see the light outside. The light in me is the
              Inner Light.” That is the Light of the Spirit, the
              Light of the Self. One should have the capacity to
              receive that Light.

              The real bliss comes from enjoying the Light of the
              Self!

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Divya Venkat
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 3, 2006
                KRISHNA AND ARJUNA

                About the end of the Kurukshetra war, one evening,
                Arjuna felt proud that Krishna was his charioteer and
                his ‘servant’.

                He felt that as master; he should get down from the
                chariot after Krishna and not before Him. So, that
                day he insisted that Krishna should get down first.

                But, Krishna was adamant: Arjuna must come down first,
                he said. After wasting a long time, pleading and
                protesting and praying, Arjuna got down, very
                unwillingly, swallowing his pride.

                Krishna then came down, and, immediately the chariot
                went up in flames! Krishna explained the reason. The
                incendiary arrows and missiles that had struck on the
                chariot were powerless so long as He was on it; but,
                when his presence was no longer there, they set the
                chariot on fire!!

                SPIRITUAL COMMENTARY

                Thus, Krishna showed that every act and word of the
                Lord had significance and a purpose, which mortals
                cannot gauge.

                Egoism is a tough enemy and it requires constant
                vigilance to conquer it.

                This way just like how Krishna humbled Arjuna’s pride
                during the war in an interesting manner, HE would also
                deal with us as and when neccessary!

                Just have complete Faith that those tests,lessons and
                experiences in life are for our own good and for our
                own spiritual evolution! Everything is God's will!

                "The existence of God does not depend upon our
                accepting it. There are two ways to know God. One is
                faith. The other is experience" - Sw.Chinmayananda.

                http://mail.yahoo.com