Tale on the Importance of Practical Application of Our Knowledge in Daily Life!

  • Divya Venkat
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30 2:29 AM
      THE VILLAGERS AND THE NEW MEDICINE

      There was an isolated village that was struck by an
      epidemic. All the medicine men could not work out a
      cure. In the end the village agreed to send out a man
      to look for a cure. This man was very fortunate. He
      soon found a cure and returned to the village. He
      gave the recipe of the cure to the village head. The
      village head quickly convened a village meeting
      involving everyone especially all the medicine men.

      In the meeting, the medicine men agreed that this cure
      would work. However just before they start on
      producing the cure, suddenly a medicine man exclaimed,
      "Wait wait, I think I can improve on the cure!" Hence
      he expounded on his theory. All the other medicine
      men roughly agreed but they decided that they needed
      more time to analyze it. Someone in the crowd
      shouted, "Why don't we just have the original cure
      now?" The village elders replied, "No no, we cannot
      just use any cure. We must use the BEST cure." Hence
      the village decided to reconvene the meeting 1 week
      later.

      After 1 week, all the medicine men agreed that the
      cure would indeed be improved with the new suggestion.
      However just before they start on producing the cure,
      suddenly another medicine man exclaimed, "Wait wait, I
      think I can further improve on the cure!" Hence he
      expounded on his theory. All the other medicine men
      roughly agreed but they decided that they needed more
      time to analyze it. Again someone in the crowd
      shouted, "Why don't we just have the improved cure
      now?" The village elders replied, "No no, we cannot
      just use any cure. We must use the BEST cure." Hence
      the village decided to reconvene the meeting another 1
      week later.

      Unfortunately this repeated a few more times. After
      every week, they found ways to improve on the cure
      further. Hence in the end, no cure was produced. In
      the end, everyone in the village died.

      SPIRITUAL COMMENTARY

      This story is to point out a common problem faced by
      many of us especially those trying to lead a spiritual
      outlook in life. We are intrigued by so many beautiful
      philosophies and theories given by various spiritual
      masters to the extent that we neglect practicing it or
      overlook the same in complacency.

      For example,in yoga the breathing excersices and
      meditation might be very simple techniques which helps
      cure many ailments of the body and also gives us peace
      of mind and good health. However some of us may find
      it too simple and spend most of our time looking for
      more complex practices. It would have been good too,
      if we finally settled on some practice. But more
      often, the search goes on forever and the person
      misses opportunities for practice again and again. In
      the end, years of practice opportunities are wasted.
      This is a pity. A practice no matter how simple,
      would have worked towards reducing the person's
      suffering here and now.

      Similarly concepts like non-ttachment,karma,overcoming
      vasanas and understanding we are all Brahman or
      absolute truth and bliss, no doubt may be very deep to
      comprehend and understand, but their simpler forms are
      highly implementable attitudes in daily life.

      Instead of all the time pursuing only to directly
      experience the ultimate meaning of Brahman, it would
      help greatly to put its simpler aspects to use every
      day like loving eachother and being a stitha pragna or
      a man with steadfast and equanimous mind etc.

      One would then say, "I cannot implement the theory
      without first understanding all aspects of it." This
      is like the village elders saying, "No no, we cannot
      just use any cure. We must use the BEST cure."

      Sometimes using the simpler aspects itself helps us
      understand the deeper aspects.Without trying out and
      finding what is true happiness in life and
      experiencing it, how can we know the ultimate aspects
      of Brahman?

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Divya Venkat
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2006
        THE POOR MOTHER AND HER THREE SONS

        A poor mother in India had 3 sons. One day, the mother
        needed some oil. So she passed some money and an
        empty bottle to one of her sons and asked him to go
        buy some oil.

        This son went along merrily and bought a bottle of
        oil. On his way back, he tripped over at a bad
        portion of the road and his bottle fell onto the
        floor. The boy quickly picked up the bottle but half
        of the oil had already flowed away. The boy was very
        sad. "Oh dear, I lost half of the oil," he thought.
        He cried all his way back to his mom. His mom
        pacified him and told him that everything was alright.

        Now the mother still needed more oil. So she passed
        some money and an empty bottle to another one of her
        sons and asked him to go buy some oil.

        Similarly this son went along merrily and bought a
        bottle of oil. On his way back, he also tripped over
        at the same bad portion of the road and his bottle
        fell onto the floor. The boy quickly picked up the
        bottle but half of the oil had already flowed away.
        However this boy was very happy. "Oh look, I managed
        to save half of the oil," he thought. Thus he smiled
        all his way back to his mom. His mom also pacified
        him and told him that everything was alright.

        Still the mother needed more oil. So she passed some
        money and an empty bottle to the third of her sons and
        asked him to go buy some oil. Similarly this son went
        along merrily and bought a bottle of oil. On his way
        back, he also tripped over at the same bad portion of
        the road and his bottle fell onto the floor. The boy
        quickly picked up the bottle but half of the oil had
        already flowed away. This boy was very happy. "Oh
        look, I managed to save half of the oil," he thought.

        "However I still need the other half bottle of oil."

        Hence he went back to the shop, told the shop owner
        what happened and volunteered to work for half a
        bottle of oil. The shop owner gave him some work, and
        let him earn a half bottle of oil. Eventually the boy
        brought a full bottle of oil back to his mother. His
        mother was of course very happy.

        SPIRITUAL COMMENTARY

        This story illustrates different attitudes or
        reactions exhibited by people when one realizes that
        nothing in this life is permanent and everything is
        changing and life is nothing but a series of ups and
        downs we have to cross and evolve according to our
        past karmas - The cycle of Birth and Death.

        Some people react in a pessimistic way. Hence like the
        first boy, they become very sad and do nothing about
        it and blame everything on destiny and dont even try
        to improve their actions in this birth.Such a
        pessimistic attitude would only ruin the person
        completely.

        Some people react in an optimistic way by cherishing
        the remaining happiness in life thinking- let me
        atleast enjoy the good fruits of my past births in
        this birth and I dont care what is in store for me in
        the next births. Hence they dont perform any good
        actions in this birth but only keep exhausting their
        present pleasures and comforts in life which they have
        acquired due to their actions in past births. Hence
        like the second boy, they become very happy but also
        dont do anything for their evolution from this cycle
        of Birth and death. This attitude also does not help
        one achieve the goal.

        Finally there are some who react not only in an
        optimistic way by understanding what karma is, but
        also want to do something about ending/reducing their
        negative fruits of action by engaging in good actions
        in this birth and also understanding God/Guru and
        'self' who helps him cross this ocean of Life and
        Death.Hence like the third boy, they not only stay
        happy but also eventually earn a full bottle of oil
        i.e they reap the fruits of their actions not only in
        this birth but also take their present good karmas to
        the next birth finally attaining Moksha or the Lord
        himself! This attitude always leads one to the best of
        results and makes him a Jeevan Mukta!

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Divya Venkat
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 7, 2006
          BUDDHA AND THE ROWDY BOYS

          Buddha was walking along the country-side begging for
          alms. He was approaching a village. Many people in
          that village had a great affection for Buddha. But
          just before he reached the outskirts of the village,
          some young rowdies loitering along the road began to
          jeer at him.

          A little surprised at this reception, Buddha stopped
          and sat down on a rock. He said to them, "Well,
          gentlemen, what pleasure do you derive from
          criticizing me?" Without giving any reason, they
          increased their denunciation of Buddha.

          Buddha said, "Continue as long as you want." They
          berated and reviled him to a point where they got
          tired of their own invective. Buddha's forbearance was
          so well developed that their hatred could not touch
          him. At first they were having a good time, but
          finally, having exhausted themselves without getting
          the reaction they wanted, they decided to go away.

          As they were walking away, Buddha called out to them,
          "Children, I want to tell you something. In the
          village just beyond here, there are many people who
          love me very much. If they were to hear that you have
          been denouncing me in this vile way, they would cut
          you to pieces. In order to save you from that danger,
          I have stayed here on this rock and allowed you to
          criticize me. In that way I have given you a gift.
          Without spending a single cent, without making any
          effort, I have been able to give you so much enjoyment
          by allowing you to berate me. Rather than feel unhappy
          with your criticism, I am glad because I have been
          able to give you some pleasure and spare you from
          serious harm."

          Then Buddha explained yet another important point to
          them in a way that made an indelible impression on
          their hearts.

          "Suppose a poor monk comes to your house and asks for
          alms. You bring some food out to him. But suppose the
          type of food you are offering is ritually impure and
          not acceptable by the monk. What will happen then?
          Since he has not accepted your offer, you will have to
          take it back and it will remain with you. Similarly,
          you are offering me all this criticism. These are the
          alms you are trying to give me. But I have not
          accepted your offerings. Well then, you will have to
          keep them; they remain with you. So you see, all your
          criticisms are really just being redirected to
          yourselves. You are not criticizing me at all!"

          SPIRITUAL COMMENTARY

          One can send a letter by registered post to a friend.
          If the friend does not accept this registered letter,
          what will the Postal Department do with the letter? It
          will redirect it back to the person who sent it.

          If you are criticizing someone but this person does
          not accept your criticism, then inevitably the
          criticism comes back to you. Do not think that by
          voicing the jealousy and hatred you may be feeling,
          that you will be troubling those to whom these odious
          sentiments are directed. In truth, you will only be
          troubling yourself. Jealousy and hatred will create
          great difficulties for the one who is infected with
          them.

          Even when someone criticises you unjustly,forbearance
          is the essential quality to be practised in such
          situations.One bereft of forbearance is no human being
          at all. We should have sympathy and forbearance
          towards the poor,the physically challenged and the
          ignorant.Forbearance is a quality which inspires
          people to undertake noble deeds. This noble quality is
          to be taught to others as well, to enable them to
          imbibe it.

          Forbearance is a potent instrument. Dharmaraja (the
          eldest of the Pandavas) was able to score many
          victories with the weapon of forbearance. Forbearance
          is not a sign of weakness or cowardice. No other
          weapon has the power of forbearance. It should not be
          used only as an individual instrument. It has to be
          experienced collectively also. That is the reason why
          the scripture has commended collective forbearance at
          the very outset of the spiritual quest.

          What is its inner meaning? ¡®Let us live and move in
          harmony. Let us grow together. Let us cherish the
          wisdom that we have acquired together. Let us live in
          complete harmony without any misunderstanding.¡¯

          This quality easily comes to a man who has understood
          these profound truths:

          There is only one caste - the caste of Humanity.
          There is only one religion - the religion of Love.
          There is only one language - the language of the
          Heart.
          There is only one God - He is Omnipresent.
          There is only one law - the law of Dharma.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Divya Venkat
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 10, 2006
            THE CROCODILE AND THE HYENA

            Upon the banks of the river Nile, a hyena met a
            crocodile and they stopped and greeted one another.

            The hyena spoke and said, "How goes the day with you,
            Sir?"

            And the crocodile answered saying, "It goes badly with
            me. Sometimes in my pain and sorrow I weep, and then
            the creatures always say, 'They are but crocodile
            tears.' And this wounds me beyond all telling."

            Then the hyena said, "You speak of your pain and your
            sorrow, but think of me also, for a moment. I gaze at
            the beauty of the world, its wonders and its miracles,
            and out of sheer joy I laugh even as the day laughs.
            And then the people of the jungle say, 'It is but the
            laughter of a hyena.'"!!

            SPIRITUAL COMMENTARY

            None of us have any valid reason to be depressed or
            frustrated. It is rather strange to find many people
            unhappy, but on inquiry you will find that the person
            has no genuine cause to be unhappy. On investigation
            you will find that he is unhappy, but not for any
            valid reason. He is unhappy because he thinks the
            other man is happier than he is:) ha ha!

            This sort of comparison, this sort of competition is
            making life miserable. It is not man's fault. It is
            the nature of his mind as it will never be satisfied
            at any time. Therefore, the mind has to be mastered
            and disciplined.

            If the mind is not mastered or disciplined,then even
            while we sit quietly in the name of meditation, it
            becomes ridiculous, farcical, meaningless, artificial,
            and purposeless -- without any goal. Therefore we are
            restless.If one really is a spiritual man and truly
            meditative, he should be peaceful within. He should be
            loving, with a smile and with a sense of satisfaction,
            remaining in a blissful state. But how many people are
            truly blissful?

            If the mind is not disciplined, it is of no use at
            all. A person with an uncontrolled mind can be easily
            seen through by his various interactions,
            interrelationships,vanity, talk and his individual
            behaviour even if he might call himself spiritual.And
            therefore, this sort of mind, if it is not
            disciplined, if it is not mastered, will certainly
            take us away from our spiritual goals.

            Hence we have to Master the mind -- and see that good
            is accepted. See that good is entertained. See that
            good is fostered!! Then only we can be positive in
            life.

            Positivism means to be benefited in the worst of
            negative situations. When everything is positive, when
            everything is favourable, if you are happy, there is
            nothing great about it. For example - Bala Gangadhar
            Tilak wrote the Bhagavad Geetha while he was in
            prison. Therefore, even a negative situation can be
            viewed in the positive sense -- that is spirituality.
            Spirituality means there is nothing negative in this
            world. Whatever happens to us is for our own good.
            Preparedness, alertness and unconditional acceptance
            is spirituality.

            Hence Master the Mind and be a MasterMind!!:)

            http://mail.yahoo.com