Hinduism is monotheism , then why so many Gods and Godessess

  • anuradha_mvd
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2006
      There is the concept of Advaita Brahma , Then we have god as
      creator,preserver and destroyer( three Gods)

      Ok, If they are one , why is it not specifically , it is the same
      Brahm( God)

      Over and above we have their consorts too; of course it is shakti.

      Why one doesn't modify the things, such that hinduisn doesnt appear as
      mockery to rest of the world

      Idolism is wrong, as God is spirit

      Instead of going gaga over the vedas , why dont we correct the ailing
      system in hinduism

      There had been off shoots of hinduism like sikhism ,jainism, Buddhism

      There are much more clear in their perception

      Hinduisn/Vedism needs reintrepretation ; although it says the truth ,
      but in such a twisted way , patchy way ;then why one wont go to
      simpler paths like
      Buddhism or christainity, they all say the same thing.

      Except for Catholics in Christainity , even keeping a cross or a
      jesus's photograph is idolatry

      There are no millions of Gods

      We all know they all say the same thing.one will go a better presented
      pattern
    • Ram Singh
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 23, 2006
        Srinivasa_Govinda has a given a scholarly and fitting reply to the letter by Anuradha_mvd.  I need add only a few things which I deem necessary. She (I think the writer is a female) is worried about 'appear as mockery to the rest of the world'.  It is this inferiority complex which is at the root of the problem of the confusion in Anuradha's mind.
        Why should we do or say or think something just to gain acceptability of the rest of the world?  Is the rest of the world better than us? Not necessarily.  In some areas they may appear to be better to some.  Two hundred and fifty years ago we were the richest country in the world.  Just because that position has been usurped by somebody else, we need not get the idea that the current rich are right in everything or that we shoud do things for their acceptance.  People and nations mock at others owing to ignorance, ill-will, material greed and conceipt.  Why should we pay heed to such things?  I welcome an honest and original inquest into our past, based on respect for the experience of our ancestors and our own experiences of the present.  But taking decisions and making opinions based on the acceptability of others who are unlikey to have the weight of experience of social and spiritual background that we have will lead us to the position where we are neither here nor there.  Just ignore what the rest of the world thinks about you.  Practise what you think is best for yourself without imposing it on others.  Half of the confusion that you have will vanish in a jiffy.
        Going  ga ga over the Vedas is one of the best things that can happen to any individual on this earth since they give us the full freedom of just life, at the same time giving proper direction to such a life.  Most of our problems could have been solved if we had not taken the ambivalent attitude that Macaulay and Nehru have fostered in us.
        Much is made of idolatry.  There is nothing wrong in idolatry.  There are some spiritually exalted ones who can meditate on God or his numerous forms without the need to have a visible image.  But most common people can think clearly if visible forms are there.  Hence our ancestors have helped such ordinary folk with various forms of the same one God in visual images.  Through these images or idols the people worship the same one God.
        'Sarvadeva namaskarah kesavam pratigacchati' (The salutations to all gods finally reach the supreme God).
        But beware.  All those who worship God in non-idolated form (such as Muslims and Christians) are not spiritually exalted ones who do not need idols.  Rather they have been denied the opportunity of praying to their heart's content with an idol of their choice.  The result is there for all to see.  Very low spiritual strength and hence extreme intolerance.  So we have the numerous Muslim conquests in the name of Islam ('oppressive majority and turbulent minority' as Arnold Toynbee has put it), Spanish inquisition, Crusades, Goan inquisition, South American butchery and the modern day Islamic terrorism and world wide Christian proselytisation through deceit, fraud and force.
        Listern, sister.  There is nothing wrong in idol worship as long as you keep in mind that the idol is not God by itself but a representative of the One Almighty who sustains all of us.
        If some wrong and ugly concepts like untouchability (for which no Vedic or Upanishadic sanctins exists) have crept in our practices, let us remove those ugly things at the earliest.  These things are problems faced by our society and it is our duty to cleanse it.  Let no third party be allowed to poke their nose and vitiate the atmosphere by spreading hate.
        Let me reiterate that we believe in One God but innumerable forms and names.  Hence we do not have intolerance about other forms of worship.  Those who believe One God and only one name and form and book need not teach us spiritualism.  Their very concept has fawned intolerance and hate.
        Let us complete this intervention of mine with the noble saying form the Vedas - 'Ekam Sat, vipraah bahudhaa vadanti' (Truth is One, the knowledgable people call It in different ways)

        Catch all the FIFA World Cup 2006 action on Yahoo! India Click here