Scars of love

  • vedicwisdom@shrutis.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2006
      Scars of love

      Some years ago on a hot summer day in south Florida a little boy decided to
      go for a swim in the old swimming hole behind his house.

      In a hurry to dive into the cool water, he ran out the back door, leaving
      behind shoes, socks, and shirt as he went. He flew into the water, not
      realizing that as he swam toward the middle of the lake, an alligator was
      swimming toward the shore.

      His mother, in the house, was looking out the window and saw the two as they
      got closer and closer together. In utter fear, she ran toward the water,
      yelling to her son as loudly as she could. Hearing her voice, the little boy
      became alarmed and made a U-turn to swim to his mother.

      It was too late. Just as he reached her, the alligator reached him. From the
      dock, the mother grabbed her little boy by the arms just as the alligator
      snatched his legs. That began an incredible tug-of-war between the two.

      The alligator was much stronger than the mother, but the mother was much too
      passionate to let go.

      A farmer happened to drive by, heard her screams, raced from his truck, took
      aim and shot the alligator. Remarkably, after weeks and weeks in the
      hospital, the little boy survived.

      His legs were extremely scarred by the vicious attack of the animal. And, on
      his arms, were deep scratches where his mother's fingernails dug into his
      flesh in her effort to hang on to the son she loved.

      The newspaper reporter who interviewed the boy after the trauma, asked if he
      would show him his scars. The boy lifted his pant legs; and then, with
      obvious pride, he said to the reporter, "But look at my arms. I have great
      scars on my arms, too. I have them because my mom wouldn't let go."

      You and I can identify with that little boy. We have scars, too.

      No, not from an alligator, or anything quite so dramatic. But, the scars of
      a painful past. Some of those scars are unsightly and have caused us deep
      regret. But, some wounds, my friend, are because God has refused to let go.
      In the midst of your struggle, He's been there holding on to you.

      The Scripture teaches that God loves you. But sometimes we foolishly wade
      into dangerous situations. The swimming  hole of life is filled with peril -
      and we forget that the enemy is waiting to attack. That's when the tug-o-war
      begins - and if you have the scars of His love on your arms, be very, very
      grateful. He did not - and will not - let you go.