Skip to search.

Dr. B V Raman....

  • Narasimha P.V.R. Rao
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 26, 2005
      Dear Vinay,

      contributions cannot be
      nobody can come close
      belongs to a different
      Varahamihira.

      > Dear Narasimha,
      > I differ in my views on Dr.Raman. Raman used a wrong

      Ayanamsha, (that invariably changed the Navamsha
      > lagna, navamsha
      position of planets) and sometimes did

      I too personally do not use Raman ayanamsa. I use Lahiri ayanamsa and believe it has only a small error. But, in the absence of a conclusive proof of the correct ayanamsa, scholars are free to use what they like. Dr Raman, Krishnamoorthy, Swami Sadashiva Giri, Swami Yukteshwar's followers all have their own favorite ayanamsas. You can fault anyone for following what they prefer.

      > not even advocate the use of Navamsha chart.
      He
      > suggested that the Navamsha chart could be shelved if
      planet was strong in the rashi chart. I hear that

      There are people today shelving shashtyamsa chart. I don't see any difference between shelving navamsa and shelving shashtyamsa.

      > even today his children faithfully use his
      Ayanamsha.

      What's wrong with it?

      I use Lahiri ayanamsa and used it in all my articles published in "Astrological Magazine". They never held it against me and published my articles. When they respect my decision to use Lahiri ayanamsa, I respect their decision to use Raman ayanamsa.

      > A pity. He rarely used other divisional
      charts like
      > D-10 etc. Raman used nothing other than the

      Vimshottari Dasha for predictions. I wonder how he
      > could give sound
      predictions with such techniques.

      That is the beauty! He gave sound predictions for several decades.

      Though he used what was convenient to him, he was never against the use of D-10 etc. Nor was he against the use of other dasas. He respected other views and especially those who had allegiance to maharshis. As an individual teacher, he had the freedom to focus on what worked for him and what was convenient to him. I will not blame him for exercising that freedom.

      Just before he passed away, I was invited to send an article and sent one containing my researches on D-27 and received his blessings in a letter. He said he was happy to see youngsters engaged in serious astrology research and gave me his encouragement and blessings. The article was published in the last "Astrological Magazine" that he edited (January 1999 issue). It was my first published article in astrology.

      How can you fault a man who encounraged others studying divisional charts for ignoring them?

      Each generation discovers (or, sometimes, invents) new things. It cannot blame the previous generations for leaving those things. Each generation has a job to do.

      > Unlike some of his contemporaries like Krishnamurthy
      > or Sheshadri Iyer who have to their
      credit some
      > original contributions, Raman contributed nothing

      original or new to the arsenal of astrological

      When did having "original contributions" become a criterion for being a great astrology author?

      If an author comes by today and translates (interprets) Parasara perfectly, I will bow to his feet. It will be the greatest contribution anybody (apart from Parasara) would've ever made to astrology!!!

      Dr Raman brought the knowledge of maharshis to modern educated men. It is a far greater contribution than any original researches.

      > techniques. Coming to his writings, his
      books "How to
      > Judge a Horoscope Vol 1 and Vol 2" which I have
      read
      > are downright badly written books according to me.

      But, countless Jyotishis learnt from those books and progressed as astrologers.

      Even today, many of us consider those books the best reference book for bhava results.

      > gave up reading half way. Honestly I felt that even I
      > could write a book like that! He simply
      culled

      If so, please do!!!!

      > statements from classics and added them in his book
      > under the relevant bhava judgment
      without bothering to
      > explain how or why such a statement could work.

      That couldn't be more wrong. So many clear practical examples were given!

      > person with no knowledge of astrology can
      understand
      > neither head nor tail of these books. An
      astrologer
      > who does not interpret and explain the pithy sayings
      > of the classics is no great
      astrologer. For example
      > you explain the use of Arudhas even in
      Divisional
      > charts but explain how and why it is to be done. This

      lends credence to what you say and there is some
      > chance of its
      acceptability. I place KN Rao on a
      > higher pedestal than Dr. Raman in
      terms of the
      > predictions given and probably even in his
      writings.

      Well, old people like my father who followed Dr Raman for MANY DECADES tell me that he is unsurpassed in the quantity and quality of predictions. He was highly successful for several decades. Some are probably influenced by the propaganda that came after his peak years from some self-promoting savants that came after him. A Tendulkar or Sehwag cannot make you forget Bradman. When it comes to public predictions, Dr Raman is the Bradman.

      In writings, I will not dare to put anybody near him. Yes, there have been more entertaining authors after him, who wrote fluffy books with a lot of style, a lot of claims and little useful substance. His books are filled with sattva guna and substance.

      > But there's no doubt Raman's name will live
      on for a
      > long time to come because of his complete dedication
      the craft of astrology and for having the courage
      > to revive a craft that
      was almost dead in the mid
      > fifties. But to compare him to Varahamira, in
      my

      I am glad you recognize atleast that.

      > opinion, is like comparing a Viv Richards, a
      Sachin
      > Tendulkar or a Brian Lara to any B grade batsman.

      These are just my views and we all have the right to
      > have our
      own.

      I agree. :-)

      > Warm Regards,
      > Vinay K

      May Jupiter's light shine on us,
      Narasimha
      Free Jyotish lessons (MP3):
      http://vedicastro.home.comcast.net
      Free Jyotish software (Windows): http://www.VedicAstrologer.org
      SJC website: http://www.SriJagannath.org
    • Anil VSNL
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 26, 2005
        Dear Members ,

        Please for God sake let us stop worshiping some Guru as "he was the best" , "greatest of all" , "no one can come close to him" etc.

        Everyone has a right to have great respect for his guru, but I know of astrologers in various cities and even small towns who are not only great astrologers but outstanding counselors and social workers,  and many of them offering services free.

        Unfortunately they are not internet savvy and have not published literature and may not be finding need to do marketing for themselves.

        But that does not reduce their greatness.

        I hope everyone takes my context and perspective in right spirit.

        Regards,

        Anil

> [...]

        In writings, I will not dare to put anybody near him. Yes, there have been more entertaining authors after him, who wrote fluffy books with a lot of style, a lot of claims and little useful substance. His books are filled with sattva guna and substance.

        > But there's no doubt Raman's name will live on for a
        > long time to come because of his complete dedication
        > to the craft of astrology and for having the courage
        > to revive a craft that was almost dead in the mid
        > fifties. But to compare him to Varahamira, in my

        I am glad you recognize atleast that.

        > opinion, is like comparing a Viv Richards, a Sachin
        > Tendulkar or a Brian Lara to any B grade batsman.
        >
        > These are just my views and we all have the right to

        I agree. :-)

        > Warm Regards,
        > Vinay K

        May Jupiter's light shine on us,
        Narasimha
        Free Jyotish lessons (MP3):
        http://vedicastro.home.comcast.net
        Free Jyotish software (Windows): http://www.VedicAstrologer.org
        SJC website: http://www.SriJagannath.org

        ....... May Jupiter's light shine on us .......

        ||   Om Tat Sat   ||   Sarvam Sri Krishnaarpanamastu   ||

      • Raman Suprajarama
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 27, 2005

          Dear Vinay,

          I would want to bring a few points to your notice.

          > Dear Narasimha,

          > I differ in my views on Dr.Raman. Raman used a wrong
          > Ayanamsha, (that invariably changed the Navamsha
          > lagna, navamsha position of planets) and sometimes did

          The question of Ayanamsa is very debatable. Geocentric system was given by Ptolemy and this was accepted as the correct system. When Copernicus gave the heliocentric system, everyone including the church condemned it. His book “De Revolutionibus” was suppressed for 13 years. It is now accepted the correct planetary system. While I am not debating on which is the correct Ayanamsa to be used, it would be in order to respect each one’s belief.

          > not even advocate the use of Navamsa chart. He

          > suggested that the Navamsa chart could be shelved if
          > a planet was strong in the rashi chart. I hear that

          The above statements are not true. Dr. Raman gave importance to the Navamsa chart. If you go through “Notable Horoscopes” by Dr. Raman, you can see how he has used the Navamsa chart in analysis and timing events. I would want to give a few lines from the talk he gave at Cambridge , England on 21 September 1970.

          He said, “I should like to be somewhat prolix in my treatment of the Navamsa chart.

          Its first and most important use, as I have already said, is in balancing for good or bad, the main chart so that the horoscope as a whole is assessed correctly. The most powerful Raja Yogas or combinations for royalty get tempered or even neutralized if the planets causing such Yogas are afflicted in the Navamsa. Conversely, even if the main chart is somewhat weak and the planets causing affliction are well placed in the Navamsa, the main chart secures strength”. During the usual discussions that I had with him, he always stressed on looking at the planetary placements in Navamsa chart and then draw conclusions.

          > A pity. He rarely used other divisional charts like

          > D-10 etc. Raman used nothing other than the

          > Vimshottari Dasha for predictions. I wonder how he

          > could give sound predictions with such techniques.

          Dr. Raman did use divisional charts and other Dasas. If you read his book Studies in Jaimini Astrology, he has given the various Dasa systems and also examples. He said that Vimshottari Dasa was universally applicable, and if one finds it difficult to compute other Dasas, he can safely predict using this Dasa system. During our discussions of Jaimini principles, he suggested I start with Chara Dasa and Shoola Dasa for predicting general events and timing death respectively. He also suggested the use of Ashtamsa chart along with Shoola Dasa. In regard to divisional charts, this is what he wrote “The life chart or the Rasi Kundali is indeed the basic chart upon which rests all the other charts. In it is hidden all the various factors which will come to fruition in the course of the present life of an individual. But it must be dissected into other charts so that a clear history of each one of the factors of life is obtained. Quite often the evidence which seems important in the Rasi or the main chart is modified by the evidence furnished by the subsidiary chart.”

          > even today his children faithfully use his Ayanamsha.

          I did try using Lahiri Ayanamsa and other Ayanamsas. When I tried to analyze using Lahiri Ayanamsa, never did my grandfather or father discourage it. It was after many tests and my own understanding that I started using Raman Ayanamsa.

          > Unlike some of his contemporaries like Krishnamurthy

          > or Sheshadri Iyer who have to their credit some
          > original contributions, Raman contributed nothing
          > original or new to the arsenal of astrological

          Looks like you have not read his books completely. Apart from the general combinations that are given in the classics, Dr. Raman has also given many new and different combinations. Best example would be the Longevity chapter in Hindu Predictive Astrology. In his book, How to judge earthquakes and weather, he has given different rules and methods based on his experience. The Astrological Magazine carried lot of articles giving new ideas and thoughts in regard to Mundane Astrology.

          Sri Narasimha Rao has given a good reply to your other statements and I would want to leave it at that.

          It is ok to bring out the negative points of a person, so as to help him, but it more important to verify the statements one makes. While false statements do not carry any weight, it could bring in bad Karma.

          Om Tat Sat,

          Raman Suprajarama

> [...]

          In writings, I will not dare to put anybody near him. Yes, there have been more entertaining authors after him, who wrote fluffy books with a lot of style, a lot of claims and little useful substance. His books are filled with sattva guna and substance.

          > But there's no doubt Raman's name will live on for a
          > long time to come because of his complete dedication
          > to the craft of astrology and for having the courage
          > to revive a craft that was almost dead in the mid
          > fifties. But to compare him to Varahamira, in my

          I am glad you recognize atleast that.

          > opinion, is like comparing a Viv Richards, a Sachin
          > Tendulkar or a Brian Lara to any B grade batsman.
          >
          > These are just my views and we all have the right to

          I agree. :-)

          > Warm Regards,

          > Vinay K

          May Jupiter's light shine on us,
          Narasimha
          Free Jyotish lessons (MP3): http://vedicastro.home.comcast.net
          Free Jyotish software (Windows): http://www.VedicAstrologer.org

          SJC website: http://www.SriJagannath.org

          ....... May Jupiter's light shine on us .......

          ||   Om Tat Sat   ||   Sarvam Sri Krishnaarpanamastu   ||

        • Panditji
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 27, 2005
            Namaste,

            Thanks for sharing your experiences with BV Raman. When you spoke to
            him, did he mean to use nvansha as a chart with aspects.

            The staement " If it is afflicted in navansha, badly placed in navansha"

            Now this can mean in the same amsha as a malefic ( say with rahu,
            mangal) or debilited in navansha. Did he use aspects in navansha. Like
            a graha in 3rd amsha from shani is afflicted etc.

            Could you please shed light on this.

            Thanks

            On 4/27/05, Raman Suprajarama <cru115@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > original or new to the arsenal of astrological
            >

            > Looks like you have not read his books completely. Apart from the general
            > combinations that are given in the classics, Dr. Raman has also given many
            > new and different combinations. Best example would be the Longevity chapter
            > in Hindu Predictive Astrology. In his book, How to judge earthquakes and
            > weather, he has given different rules and methods based on his experience.
            > The Astrological Magazine carried lot of articles giving new ideas and
            > thoughts in regard to Mundane Astrology.
            >

            > Sri Narasimha Rao has given a good reply to your other statements and I
            > would want to leave it at that.
            >

            > It is ok to bring out the negative points of a person, so as to help him,
            > but it more important to verify the statements one makes. While false
            > statements do not carry any weight, it could bring in bad Karma.

          • Kathy
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 27, 2005
              Hello!

              Can't resist telling you this!!! Just received a message from the
              outer space:

              <Notable Horoscopes, page 169> ....!@#$!&#@$! could not make
              anything out of it.. do you?

              Kate

              --- In vedic-astrology@yahoogroups.com, Panditji <navagraha@g...>
              wrote:
              > Namaste,
              >
              > Thanks for sharing your experiences with BV Raman. When you spoke to
              > him, did he mean to use nvansha as a chart with aspects.
              >
              > The staement " If it is afflicted in navansha, badly placed in
              navansha"

              > Now this can mean in the same amsha as a malefic ( say with rahu,
              > mangal) or debilited in navansha. Did he use aspects in navansha.
              Like
              > a graha in 3rd amsha from shani is afflicted etc.
              >
              > Could you please shed light on this.
              >
              > Thanks

            • Praveen Kumar
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 27, 2005
                Dear Panditji,
                Yes, I too use aspects and yogas in Navamsa. Shri K.N.Rao also advocates the same. It gives results too.

                Praveen kumar (Mumbai)
                Thanks for sharing your experiences with BV Raman. When you spoke to
                him, did he mean to use nvansha as a chart with aspects.

                The staement " If it is afflicted in navansha, badly placed in navansha"

                Now this can mean in the same amsha as a malefic ( say with rahu,
                mangal) or debilited in navansha. Did he use aspects in navansha. Like
                a graha in 3rd amsha from shani is afflicted etc.

                Could you please shed light on this.

                Thanks
              • Suresh Surendranathan
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 27, 2005
                  Hi Kathy,

                  Ya..Your sense of humour is pathetic - thats what it means!

                  Hope that helps
                  Suresh

                  >From: "Kathy" <dupedoctor@...>
                  >To: vedic-astrology@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [vedic-astrology] Dr. B V Raman....
                  >Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:18:46 -0000
                  >

                  >Hello!
                  >
                  >Can't resist telling you this!!! Just received a message from the
                  >outer space:
                  >
                  > <Notable Horoscopes, page 169> ....!@#$!&#@$! could not make
                  >anything out of it.. do you?
                  >
                  >Kate
                  >
                  >--- In vedic-astrology@yahoogroups.com, Panditji <navagraha@g...>
                  >wrote:
                  > > Namaste,
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for sharing your experiences with BV Raman. When you spoke to
                  > > him, did he mean to use nvansha as a chart with aspects.
                  > >
                  > > The staement " If it is afflicted in navansha, badly placed in
                  >navansha"
                  > >
                  > > Now this can mean in the same amsha as a malefic ( say with rahu,
                  > > mangal) or debilited in navansha. Did he use aspects in navansha.
                  >Like
                  > > a graha in 3rd amsha from shani is afflicted etc.
                  > >
                  > > Could you please shed light on this.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks

                • ganapat_shishya
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 27, 2005
                    Dear learned readers,

                    > > I differ in my views on Dr.Raman. Raman used a wrong
                    > > Ayanamsha, (that invariably changed the Navamsha
                    > > lagna, navamsha position of planets) and sometimes did
                    > > not even advocate the use of Navamsha chart.

                    You have to give it a try with an open mind on a large number of
                    charts before deciding whether the ayanamsa is wrong or not.

                    > > A pity. He rarely used other divisional charts like
                    > > D-10 etc. Raman used nothing other than the
                    > > Vimshottari Dasha for predictions. I wonder how he
                    > > could give sound predictions with such techniques.

                    This is very arrogant talk. Tell me what is a divisional chart?
                    They are nothing but a microscopic view of the rasi chart.

                    Ever wondered if Dr. Raman used his head alone to do the divisional
                    computations and 'see' the complete picture. I think thats where the
                    explanation lies. He himself was a supercomputer and did not need
                    extra charts that we can't live without today.

                    Regards
                    GS
                  • Panditji
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 27, 2005
                      Namaste Praveenji,

                      Thanks. I have not used aspects and yogas in divisions( divisional
                      charts for some) I have had reasonable success in identifying events
                      without these parameters. Not everything ofcourse.

                      Have you followed Vijaydas Pradeepjis posts. He is making some very
                      compelling points. If there are divisional charts why worry about
                      uttamamsha, gopuramsha ? Just use yogas in the said divisional chart.
                      When parashar says bhava whose lord is in benefic shastyamsha, this
                      bhava is in all likely hood in main bahava kundali. Otherwise you may
                      have saptam bhavesh from rashi in krura shatiamsha and saptam bhavesh
                      from navansh in amrita bhavesh, what will you do then ?

                      It is an discussion worth pondering over. You are one of the learned
                      and experienced jyotishi. I would like your take on this.

                      Thanks

                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 27, 2005
                        Good to see you sporting a Guru Mangala yoga! Was a big help.

                        do not say....elementary watson!!

                        Kate

                        --- In vedic-astrology@yahoogroups.com, "Suresh Surendranathan"
                        <sherlockthegreat@h...> wrote:
                        > Hi Kathy,
                        >
                        > Ya..Your sense of humour is pathetic - thats what it means!
                        >
                        > Hope that helps
                        > Suresh
                      • Raman Suprajarama
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 27, 2005

                          Namasthe,

                          > Thanks for sharing your experiences with BV Raman. When you spoke to

                          > him, did he mean to use nvansha as a chart with aspects.

                          Yes. The Navamsa chart is studied as a normal chart and all rules including aspects and conjunctions are applied accordingly.

                          > Now this can mean in the same amsha as a malefic ( say with rahu,

                          > mangal) or debilited in navansha. Did he use aspects in navansha. Like

                          > a graha in 3rd amsha from shani is afflicted etc.

                          He did use aspects. In notable horoscopes, he has written “In Navamsa, Lagna is afflicted by the aspect of Saturn” while dealing with a horoscope.

                          You can consider the example of Neechabhanga Raja Yoga for better clarity. If a planet is debilitated in the Rasi chart, and if its lord is in a Kendra to Lagna in Navamsa, Neechabhanga takes place. So we study the planets in Navamsa with reference to Navamsa Lagna.

                          However, that does not imply that one has to neglect other rules. In Navamsa, we also make use of the sign occupied by atmakaraka. In my opinion, we study the Navamsa chart or any other divisional chart as a normal chart and judge the relevant issues. The Navamsa chart is given more importance as it is a chart representing “Dharmic aspects” of the native. While the Rasi chart is used as the base, the divisional charts are used to get a finer picture.

                          Om Tat Sat,

                          Raman Suprajarama

                          (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

                        • Raman Suprajarama
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 27, 2005

                            Dear Ms. Kathy,

                            Please let me know the horoscope number. While I am no way equal to Dr. Raman, I will definitely try to help you with my limited understanding.

                            Om Tat Sat,

                            Raman Suprajarama

                          • V.Partha sarathy
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 27, 2005
                              Dear Punditji

                              If i may interject

                              a) The one way to ascertain strength of a planet, its beneficians is
                              vaiseshikamsas, vimsopaka. You can see if the lagna lord in benefic
                              shastyamsa is good karma, and bad shastyamsa is bad karma. That is
                              one way to analyse things
                              b) The second way as propounded by new age masters is to construct
                              charts. I very clearly remember that in Saravali or somewhere Kalayan
                              varma talks of Sani aspecting moon in navamsa and giving some xyz
                              results etc etc. I am no expert in sanskrit, but i have read all
                              these books and am quite convinced that aspects can be used in
                              navamsa. If they can be used in navamsa, then why not in other
                              divisionals?
                              c) Ok coming back, the reason why we construct divisional charts is
                              actually a step beyond just analysing the strenght or beneficiance of
                              the planet. It is actually peeping into the actual environment and
                              ascertaining what that environment stands for. For example you might
                              know what kind of work a person does through rasi, navamsa,
                              dispositor and nakshatra. But to find out what kind of environment he
                              or she works in, who is the boss, what is his nature, when you take
                              short leaves?, when you are suspended, under what circumstances, why
                              do you get promotions, what are the resources available to you at
                              your workplace etc etc can be found by d-10. So d-10 is only
                              magnifying the career aspect and giving "SUKSHMA readings", minute
                              details which you may not get from rasi chart alone.
                              I too consider the Rasi chart as foundation, but i never ignore the
                              divisionals. Just for academic and intellectual stimulation why dont
                              you try them. You need not use them for predictions. You will enjoy
                              the learning process.

                              Best wishes
                              partha

                              wrote:
                              > Namaste Praveenji,
                              >
                              > Thanks. I have not used aspects and yogas in divisions( divisional
                              > charts for some) I have had reasonable success in identifying events
                              > without these parameters. Not everything ofcourse.
                              >
                              > Have you followed Vijaydas Pradeepjis posts. He is making some very
                              > compelling points. If there are divisional charts why worry about
                              > uttamamsha, gopuramsha ? Just use yogas in the said divisional
                              chart.
                              > When parashar says bhava whose lord is in benefic shastyamsha, this
                              > bhava is in all likely hood in main bahava kundali. Otherwise you
                              may
                              > have saptam bhavesh from rashi in krura shatiamsha and saptam
                              bhavesh
                              > from navansh in amrita bhavesh, what will you do then ?
                              >
                              > It is an discussion worth pondering over. You are one of the learned
                              > and experienced jyotishi. I would like your take on this.
                              >
                              > Thanks

                              > On 4/27/05, Praveen Kumar <chunnu2001@v...> wrote:
                              > > Dear Panditji,
                              > > Yes, I too use aspects and yogas in Navamsa. Shri K.N.Rao also
                              advocates the
                              > > same. It gives results too.
                              > >
                              > > Praveen kumar (Mumbai)

                              Service.
                            • Praveen Kumar
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 27, 2005
                                Yes, Panditji. Rasi bhavas are primary for any consideration. But, bhavas in divisions too are used. For this purpose divisions should be treated as independent charts too. Say 5th lord of Navamsa is in the 7th. Then it indicates a love marriage. In Rasi too same interpretation is to be drawn. In all Vargas relevant houses are to be seen. In dasamsa, 10 house (besides lagna) is most important for profession. Shri K.N.Rao says, "..there are many other (secret) uses of vargas".

                                But, all this is subject to the condition that vargas are to be given very limited importance while drawing a conclusion. Shri K.N.Rao says (and which I find working) in his book on Vimshottari that three and a half points should be given to the Rasi chart, three points to Navamsa and only half a point to the interconnected third chart (D-10, D-12 etc). He says, " Never allow the third chart to supersede the importance of the birth horoscope and Navamsa. But do not fail to see the third relevant chart."  Shri K.N.Rao gives you only a skeleton house or sometimes just the foundation but never a finished house which you can use readily. Hence, one has to draw one's own conclusions.

                                There is nothing contradictory in use of vargas for planetary strength (and that is the main use of vargas) like uttamamsha, gopuramsha etc. and their use as independent charts. This strength is extremely important. See the Sun exalted in the Rasi chart of new Pope. See that it is exalted in many vargas. Now come back to his Rasi chart (Aqu lagna from K.N.Rao) . Sun is lord of 7th house (of position) aspecting the 9th house (of religion). Now consider Pada Lagna or Arudha Lagna which falls in the 7th house (without using exception). Here, this Sun becomes lord of Lagna placed in the 9th house of religion. What conclusion will you draw ?

                                "There are well defined rules in astrology" and "there are no rules in astrology". You have to reconcile the two statements by being flexible enough.

                                Praveen Kumar (Mumbai)
                                Thanks. I have not used aspects and yogas in divisions( divisional
                                charts for some) I have had reasonable success in identifying events
                                without these parameters. Not everything ofcourse.

                                Have you followed Vijaydas Pradeepjis posts. He is making some very
                                compelling points. If there are divisional charts why worry about
                                uttamamsha, gopuramsha ? Just use yogas in the said divisional chart.
                                When parashar says bhava whose lord is in benefic shastyamsha, this
                                bhava is in all likely hood in main bahava kundali. Otherwise you may
                                have saptam bhavesh from rashi in krura shatiamsha and saptam bhavesh
                                from navansh in amrita bhavesh, what will you do then ?

                                It is an discussion worth pondering over. You are one of the learned
                                and experienced jyotishi. I would like your take on this.

                                Thanks

                                On 4/27/05, Praveen Kumar <chunnu2001@...> wrote:
                                > Dear Panditji,
                                > Yes, I too use aspects and yogas in Navamsa. Shri K.N.Rao also advocates the
                                > same. It gives results too.

                                > Praveen kumar (Mumbai)

                              • SuryaViswanadham
                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 28, 2005
                                  Dear Raman,

                                  Glad to take that name. As someone already pointed out, it was bad
                                  humour. It was balagangadhar tilak's chart.(p 269. Notable Horoscopes)

                                  I read all the books of Dr Raman and reasonably understood them.

                                  Thanks for your gesture.

                                  Kate

                                  --- In vedic-astrology@yahoogroups.com, "Raman Suprajarama"
                                  <cru115@n...> wrote:
                                  > Dear Ms. Kathy,
                                  >

                                  > Please let me know the horoscope number. While I am no way equal to
                                  Dr.
                                  > Raman, I will definitely try to help you with my limited
                                  understanding.

                                  > Om Tat Sat,
                                  >

                                  > Raman Suprajarama
                                • Kathy
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Apr 28, 2005
                                    --- In vedic-astrology@yahoogroups.com, "SuryaViswanadham"
                                    <vishwanatham@g...> wrote:

                                    > Dear Raman,
                                    >

                                    > Glad to take that name. As someone already pointed out, it was bad
                                    > humour. It was balagangadhar tilak's chart.(p 269. Notable
                                    Horoscopes)

                                    > I read all the books of Dr Raman and reasonably understood them.
                                    >
                                    > Thanks for your gesture.
                                    >
                                    > Kate
                                    >

                                    > --- In vedic-astrology@yahoogroups.com, "Raman Suprajarama"
                                    > <cru115@n...> wrote:
                                    > > Dear Ms. Kathy,
                                    > >

                                    > > Please let me know the horoscope number. While I am no way equal
                                    > Dr.
                                    > > Raman, I will definitely try to help you with my limited
                                    > understanding.
                                    > >

                                    > > Om Tat Sat,
                                    > >

                                    > > Raman Suprajarama
                                  • Panditji