Sri Panchami: Ashtakavarga Research

  • Narasimha P.V.R. Rao
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
      Namaste friends,

      There was a discussion on samudaya ashtakavarga (SAV) a while ago. Someone gave a few counter-examples to some standard SAV principles. For example, Bill Gates has scores of 24, 27 and 27 in 9th, 10th and 11th houses. Successful people like him are expected to have scores over 30 in those 3 houses.

      I said at that time that there may be errors in standard understanding of SAV. I also said I did some research and will share it with others when the time comes.

      Today is Magha Sukla Panchami. It is known as "Sri Panchami" and a day supposed to be dear to goddess Saraswathi (the goddess of knowledge). She is worshipped today. On this auspicious day, I have decided to bow to Her and share my research finding with the Jyotish community. You don't have to accept it or even test it. If you get the inspiration from inside, you may try it and see how it works. I do expect people to resist my idea, as what I am saying is different from what everybody else taught until now.

      *       *       *

      When finding the strengths of various houses in SAV, people normally consider houses from lagna alone. Suppose lagna is in Gemini. Then, to see the strength of 9th house, the 9th from Gemini (i.e. Aq) is taken and scores in Aq in all the eight ashtakavargas are aggregated. Aq may be the 2nd house from Sun, 5th house from Moon, 7th house from Jupiter and so on. Still, scores in Aq in all the eight bhinna ashtakavargas (BAV) are added up. This is somehow supposed to give an indication of how strong the 9th house is overall.

      The whole idea of ashtakavarga is that lagna is not the only reference. Seven planets can be used as references along with lagna. When that is the whole idea, how logical is it to take the houses from lagna alone when finding the strengths of houses?

      Aren't the 9th houses from Sun, Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus and Saturn good for nothing? Should the strength of the 9th house be decided solely based on the 9th house from lagna? When we say "the 9th house" are we to totally ignore the 9th houses from other references, or is the "9th house" a combination of all the eight 9th houses?

      My idea was to add the score in the 9th house from Sun in Sun's BAV, the score in the 9th house from Moon in Moon's BAV, the score in the 9th house from Mars in Mars's BAV and so on, to see the strength of the 9th house. This total is a reflection of how strong the 9th house is overall. The overall 9th house in a chart is combination the eight 9th houses (from lagna, Sun, Moon etc)!

      This is very simple and you can do the calculations manually. But, if you need a software, this variation will be available in version 7.0 of Jagannatha Hora software planned to be released on Magha Pournima (2005 Feb 23). I will make this calculation available in the free version.

      In Bill Gates case, the scores in 9th, 10th and 11th houses using this approach are not 24, 27 and 27. They are 31, 34 and 37.

      I have used this reckoning of house strengths using SAV in many natal charts and dasa pravesha charts and was satisfied. If my idea sounds appealing to you, please feel free to try it.

      By the way, ashtakavarga can be found in divisional charts. You may try this approach of assessing the strengths of houses using SAV in divisional charts also.

      May Jupiter's light shine on us,
      Narasimha
      Free Jyotish lessons (MP3): http://vedicastro.home.comcast.net
      Free Jyotish software (Windows): http://www.VedicAstrologer.org
    • Muhammad Imran
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
        Namaste Narasimharao,

        Once again, with a unique idea !

        Ghalib says for such a situation,
        "Gheyb se aate hain ye mazameen khayaal main". i.e.

        These 'devine verses'
        As I write
        Are
        The hallowed revelatios
        Descending
        From on 'High'

        M.Imran

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Sabri
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
          Dear Narasimha P.V.R. Rao Ji,

          Many thanks for sharing your research and knowledge with us. We
          deeply appreciate. May Shri Saraswati's blessings be always with you.

          Respectfully, Adnan Sabri.

          --- In vedic-astrology@yahoogroups.com, "Narasimha P.V.R. Rao"

        • Muruli Shamanna
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 12, 2005
            Yes, I feel it is quite logical also. What we normally follow is just rasi total. If we really want to find the strength of each house we need to see how each planet influence on the ninth house from its position.

            Thanks for sharing the info.

            Regards
            Muruli
[...]

            ||   Om Tat Sat   ||   Sarvam Sri Krishnaarpanamastu   ||

          • pp_gurav
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 13, 2005
              Dear Narasimhaji,

              I am doing some research using SAV. I am deeply indebted to you for
              sharing your research & the tool. I am eagerly awaiting for the
              release. I am facing many irregularities(but still the reguarities
              are more statistically) in the expected results & actual results. May
              be this new technique might help in explaining those irregularities.

              Until now I reconciled those irregularities by taking SAV from AL.
              But still found that wide fluctuations of SAVs from Lagana & AL. So
              did not know which one to take. This is easy expalining the hapened
              events. But impossible for predicting the event, as we dont know
              which one will dominate. I will be grateful to hear your comments on
              this dilemma. May be I am totally wrong on this.

              I will share my experience after testing it with the new technique
              discovered by you.

              Namaste,
              Pradeep

            • kasim_c@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 13, 2005
                Dear Narasimha,

                This knowledge sharing and innovation is very welcome.
                What is Guru Sanjay Raths view on this?

                With best wishes

                Kasim

                <pvr@c...> wrote:
> [...]
                the 9th house is overall. The overall 9th house in a chart is
                combination the eight 9th houses (from lagna, Sun, Moon etc)!

                > This is very simple and you can do the calculations manually. But,
                if you need a software, this variation will be available in version
                7.0 of Jagannatha Hora software planned to be released on Magha
                Pournima (2005 Feb 23). I will make this calculation available in
                the free version.

                > In Bill Gates case, the scores in 9th, 10th and 11th houses using
                this approach are not 24, 27 and 27. They are 31, 34 and 37.

                > I have used this reckoning of house strengths using SAV in many
                natal charts and dasa pravesha charts and was satisfied. If my idea
                sounds appealing to you, please feel free to try it.

                > By the way, ashtakavarga can be found in divisional charts. You
                may try this approach of assessing the strengths of houses using SAV

              • Sundeep Babbar
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 15, 2005
                  Dear Narasimha Rao jee,

                  Excellent research work. Infact till date I have always counted strenghts from lagan and not from any other planet. The results in total were quite unconvincing.  This seems to be the reason why. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us. Do you suggest any software which can calculate SAV based on these principals?

                  Thanks....Sundeep

                  "Narasimha P.V.R. Rao" <pvr@...> wrote:
[...]

                  Do you Yahoo!?

                • tatwagnan
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 15, 2005
                    Hi,

                    My thoughts on this.

                    I think SAV calculated traditionally is the right way.
                    Reasoning: Is'nt SAV all about contribution (sinking the powers) of
                    each planet into that specific bhava "with reference FROM lagna"
                    where "lagna" is signifying the "self". That is how each planet
                    impacts that specific bhava with respect to the "self". This point
                    is important. Here the interest is in how each planet
                    is "contributing" to that specific location in the zodiac rather
                    than relative positioning from each planet "which the new system
                    proposes".

                    The zodiac point of Ninth from a planet in 5th to Lagna is
                    defenitely different than 9th from Lagna itself. Hence ninth from
                    each planet is going to be different. How can they be added to
                    gather.

                    The new system is quite analogous to building a Navamsa chart taking
                    only "ninth fragment" of each Rasi bhava in the Rasi chakra.
                    Ignoring all the other 8 fragments.

                    Another way to look at the new system: Say we are interested in 12th
                    bhava and its SAV count. Instead of calculating the contribution of
                    planets of 5th to 12th the new system will will account for strong
                    4th thouse that is 12th to the 5th house. Does this make sense?

                    This is only my thought process and reasoning and I regard and
                    respect Narasimha and every one else on this list for their valuable
                    contribution to the system of Astrology.

                    Best Regards

                    Ven

                    <pvr@c...> wrote:
> [...]
                    the 9th house is overall. The overall 9th house in a chart is
                    combination the eight 9th houses (from lagna, Sun, Moon etc)!

                    > This is very simple and you can do the calculations manually. But,
                    if you need a software, this variation will be available in version
                    7.0 of Jagannatha Hora software planned to be released on Magha
                    Pournima (2005 Feb 23). I will make this calculation available in
                    the free version.

                    > In Bill Gates case, the scores in 9th, 10th and 11th houses using
                    this approach are not 24, 27 and 27. They are 31, 34 and 37.

                    > I have used this reckoning of house strengths using SAV in many
                    natal charts and dasa pravesha charts and was satisfied. If my idea
                    sounds appealing to you, please feel free to try it.

                    > By the way, ashtakavarga can be found in divisional charts. You
                    may try this approach of assessing the strengths of houses using SAV

                  • sonnya2003
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 17, 2005
                      Hmmm ... Very interesting.

                      SA