Re: Where can I find a copy of VB, been searching for ye ars

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2011
      Rob,
      > Don't get VB5, get VB6 instead.

      That was a typo on my part. I do that all the time.
      I have never seen VB 6 except when it is just too expensive for playing around with. I did quite a lot with VB 4 years ago. I was teaching electronics and created programs for my students, for drilling resistor problems or color code drill.

      I once got an email from a French electronics teacher who had gotten one of my programs that ultimately came from EXEC PC BBS [bulletin board system]. I think that people in those days would raid the file sections of BBSs and spread them around.

      > I would not worry about the IDE in Win 7, as I find Win 7 is a PIA, and would keep XP as my development PC.

      I think my prolem was more a matter of having lost the key to make VB 4 work.

      > There must be some out there that have abandoned VB6 entirely, and would readily sell their copy, if you can get there attention ?

      Yeah, if I get there attention! My problem too is that I am a computer jack of all trades and master of none. When I can progress with one I move on to another 'trade'. :-)
      I have done a wee bit of machine coding, very wee. But for several CPUs. I started with the RCA COSMAC on a little one board machine called the ELF II. Pop Tronics published a lot of articles on that chip, I think they liked it because it would work off battery power.

      Later I used the Motorola 6802 chip. The company I worked for at the time used it in a product they made, as a simple temperature controller. I learned the chip on a Motorola D2 Kit, created to evaluate the chip.

      I programmed a bit on the 8080, my Interact computer used that chip. It came with 16 K of ram, I modified it to use all 64 k.

      When I taught Microprocessors at Milwaukee Area Technical College I had my student write a few simple programs. using MS Dos Debug program.

      Anyway, I would like to get a copy of some VB program that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Since I am now retired I have to be careful with my cash, and my arms and legs too for that matter.

      Thanks for the reply.

      Jim

      > I have no current intentions to move to VB.NET

      PS how would you go about getting it, one the net or is that just it's name. That dot net stuff seems confusing to me.