Pope Pius XII - Just Wondering

  • Tom Makofski
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 18, 2009
      Just wondering if there is anyone out there that has made a specialized collection of Pope Pius XII issues? I am thinking in terms such as plating the 1851 3 cent issue.

      Tom Makofski
    • Piazza, Daniel
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 18, 2009
        Hi Tom,

        A few things are going on here: Pius XII was pope from 1939-1958. If you meant 1951, there is no 3 cent issue that year. If you meant Pius IX, his first issue was 1852 but was denominated in bajocchi, not cents.

        Not sure what you are referring to. Maybe if you describe the stamp or gave a Scott number...

        Dan Piazza

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 19, 2009
          Okay, let me see if I can clear up a very bad posting! I am wondering if anyone out there has worked on a specialized collection of Pope Pius XII (Scott 72-76; 91-98 and 102-109). Has anyone every worked on platting these stamps similar to the work of Dr. Chase for the US 3cent 1851 stamps (Scott 10 & 11). Or for that matter, is plating these stamps even possible?

          Tom

          --- In vaticanstamps@yahoogroups.com, "Piazza, Daniel" <piazzad@...> wrote:

          > Hi Tom,
          >
          > A few things are going on here: Pius XII was pope from 1939-1958. If you meant 1951, there is no 3 cent issue that year. If you meant Pius IX, his first issue was 1852 but was denominated in bajocchi, not cents.
          >
          > Not sure what you are referring to. Maybe if you describe the stamp or gave a Scott number...
          >
          > Dan Piazza
          >
          > ________________________________

        • Piazza, Daniel
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 19, 2009
            Ah, got it. I am sure it could be done, but am not sure what the purpose
            of plating would be since all of the Pius XII issues exist in full
            sheets in reasonable quantity.

            Some of the Roman States issues might be more promising if you're
            looking for a plating study subject.

            Dan

            Okay, let me see if I can clear up a very bad posting! I am wondering if
            anyone out there has worked on a specialized collection of Pope Pius XII
            (Scott 72-76; 91-98 and 102-109). Has anyone every worked on platting
            these stamps similar to the work of Dr. Chase for the US 3cent 1851
            stamps (Scott 10 & 11). Or for that matter, is plating these stamps even
            possible?

            Tom

            --- In vaticanstamps@yahoogroups.com
            <mailto:vaticanstamps%40yahoogroups.com> , "Piazza, Daniel"
            <piazzad@...> wrote:

            > Hi Tom,
            >
            > A few things are going on here: Pius XII was pope from 1939-1958. If
            you meant 1951, there is no 3 cent issue that year. If you meant Pius
            IX, his first issue was 1852 but was denominated in bajocchi, not cents.

            > Not sure what you are referring to. Maybe if you describe the stamp or
            gave a Scott number...

            > Dan Piazza

          • Tom Makofski
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 19, 2009
              Well, let's take this just a little farther. . . are there various different shades and/or plate repairs (recutting)for these stamps?