Re: [VatiStamps] Mount Athos

  • Jayaprakash K
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 3, 2011
      hello,
      I am from India .I am a collector of Vatican state stamps.almost finished
      collecting complete mint.i also collect Mount athos stamps.It is all in
      delcampe.Good christian theme.but costly.
      dr.prakash

      On 4 February 2011 02:42, Piazza, Daniel <piazzad@...> wrote:

      > I don't know where to get them, but they are listed in the 2011 edition
      > ofScott after Greece.
      >
      > Dan Piazza

      Take care.
      Dr.K.Jaya Prakash

    • Chuck Hall
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 3, 2011
        I do not have the 2011 Scotts, but will check my earlier versions. Here is
        a possible link to these stamps.

        http://www.mlahanas.de/Greece/Stamps/Athos/MountAthosStamps.html

        Chuck Hall

        _____

        From: vaticanstamps@yahoogroups.com <mailto:vaticanstamps%40yahoogroups.com>

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 4, 2011
          Here is the link to many of the stamps, which I see Hellenic Post has not updated:

          http://www.agionorostamps.gr/page/home/index.asp?lang=GR

          As was noted, some of the stamps do have very high face values, but how charming!

          I believe the Philatelic Bureau in Athens still has very handsome yearbooks for 2008, 2009 and 2010 on sale, which would enable a newcomer to get a complete collection at (probably) close to retail if you could find on the secondary market:

          http://www.elta.gr/

          I have obtained covers using these stamps from the two post offices on Mount Athos, Karyes and Dafni. They are valid throuughout Greece, though. Enjoy!
        • GerardY
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 4, 2011
            As a further observation on the high face values, I just received the program for 2011 from Hellenic Post for Mount Athos: 4 sets of 6 stamps, each set with a face value of 6 Euros!
          • Ralph
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 27, 2011
              Hi everyone, I'd like to introduce myself.
              My name is Ralph Phillips and I live in Israel.
              My interest in Mount Athos stamps is the fact that
              they are not from an acknowledged country.
              Since retiring from Public Relations, I have spent my
              time producing CD Catalogues of this type of entity
              as well as locals (non officials) of GB & USA.
              I am just now completing a catalogue of Soveign Military
              Order of Malta, and it will be available for sale within
              the next week or so.
            • GerardY
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 27, 2011
                Not sure why being "an acknowledged country" matters...The stamps are valid for postage, both at the 2 post offices (Dafnii and Karyes) on Mount Athos (I have covers) and throughout Greece. I also have collections from Turkish Cyprus, the South African homelands and Palestine Authority that are not from "acknowledged countries" I suppose

                --- In vaticanstamps@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph" <Phillipo@...> wrote:

                > Hi everyone, I'd like to introduce myself.
                > My name is Ralph Phillips and I live in Israel.
                > My interest in Mount Athos stamps is the fact that
                > they are not from an acknowledged country.
                > Since retiring from Public Relations, I have spent my
                > time producing CD Catalogues of this type of entity
                > as well as locals (non officials) of GB & USA.
                > I am just now completing a catalogue of Soveign Military
                > Order of Malta, and it will be available for sale within
                > the next week or so.

              • Ralph Phillips
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 27, 2011
                  Just a fad of mine.

                  When I was still saving stamps I got fed up with all the items that were
                  coming out of the countries appearing in 5-6

                  different forms in the catalogues, and decided to narrow my field of
                  interest to "entities" which do not appear in all

                  the official catalogues. (I know that SMOM appears in the Italian one).
                  Turkish Cyprus, the South African Homelands,

                  and the Palestinian Authority appear in the catalogues.

                  I had by then a nearly complete collection of British Locals and Modern
                  British Railways, and other unofficial places

                  like Nagorno-Karabakh, TransDnistria, Hutt River and others. So I
                  concentrated on this field.

                  When I retired I started making CD Catalogues of this type of material, so
                  far I had done 10, and now have virtually

                  finished S.M.O.M. & Mount Athos.