Export to Unicode

  • kevinsooryan@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 19, 2004
      Dear Cibu,
      after long back, i am writing again.
      I have been thinking to ask you some doubts for long, sorry for this delay.

      1]
      why u r exporting the UTF-8 to internet browser? any specific reason?
      why cant it be to a .txt file? notepad loads much more faster than a browser and also supports unicode character set and also the user have an option to save file easily than from a browser.
      2]
      are u planning to make varamozhi a complete unicode program? now it only exports to unicode. will in the future it creats unicode text in its own controls. dont your developing environment handles unicode strings (wide strings)?
      3]
      one main thing lacking in varamozhi is a print command. Just a print command will enables users to make the malayalam text into pdf, jpg, and somany other formats using pdfcreator from sourceforge itself.

      kevin & siji
      ________________________
      move to unicode
      let us help the diverse cultures on this earth sustain.
    • Cibu
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 19, 2004
        > 1]
        > why u r exporting the UTF-8 to internet browser? any specific reason?
        > why cant it be to a .txt file? notepad loads much more faster than a browser
        > and also supports unicode character set and also the user have an option to
        > save file easily than from a browser.

        As you know, a unicode character requires more than 8 bits for
        representation. UTF-8 is the most widely accepted 8 bit representation
        of wide characters. For more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8

        > 2]
        > are u planning to make varamozhi a complete unicode program? now it only
        > exports to unicode. will in the future it creats unicode text in its own
        > controls. dont your developing environment handles unicode strings (wide
        > strings)?

        Varamozhi's GUI is written in Perl/Tk. When Perl/Tk supports Unicode
        rendering I can support it without any problem. I really don't whether
        it supports that now or not.

        > 3]
        > one main thing lacking in varamozhi is a print command. Just a print command
        > will enables users to make the malayalam text into pdf, jpg, and somany
        > other formats using pdfcreator from sourceforge itself.

        That is one reasoning for export to HTML option. After the document
        is opened in Internet Explorer, one can save it or print it without I
        programming those options. This minimizes my programming effort which
        I badly want to keep minimal.

        BTW, is there any newer versions fo Anjali? Did you get a chance to
        look at my comments..

        thanks,
        Cibu

        --
        More about me: http://www.blogger.com/profile/1246232
      • kevinsooryan@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 19, 2004
          Dear
          I asked you why exporting to internet explorer. You can better export to text file and open it in notepad. Notepad also support unicode, big endian, and utf-8 formats apart from ANSI. notepad is more silent and faster than IE.

          a new release (and I hope a perfect release) of Anjali will be there soon. I am waiting for an updated uniscribe. there is a bug in the uniscribe which prevents the formation of reph feature in malayalam. Mr. paul from microsoft promised to solve it and get a copy of the dll by end of this year. so only expect anjali by that time.

          And there is still issues not resolved on the chillus, mpa, nta and some other in the unicode. anyway i will strictly follow the unicode standards what ever is the latest.

          I think you have the latest copy of anjali. are u using it?

          kevin & siji
          ________________________
          move to unicode
          let us help the diverse cultures on this earth sustain.
          > why u r exporting the UTF-8 to internet browser? any specific reason?
          > why cant it be to a .txt file? notepad loads much more faster than a browser
          > and also supports unicode character set and also the user have an option to
          > save file easily than from a browser.

          As you know, a unicode character requires more than 8 bits for
          representation. UTF-8 is the most widely accepted 8 bit representation
          of wide characters. For more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTF-8

          > 2]
          > are u planning to make varamozhi a complete unicode program? now it only
          > exports to unicode. will in the future it creats unicode text in its own
          > controls. dont your developing environment handles unicode strings (wide
          > strings)?

          Varamozhi's  GUI is written in Perl/Tk. When Perl/Tk supports Unicode
          rendering I can support it without any problem. I really don't whether
          it supports that now or not.

          > 3]
          > one main thing lacking in varamozhi is a print command. Just a print command
          > will enables users to make the malayalam text into pdf, jpg, and somany
          > other formats using pdfcreator from sourceforge itself.

          That is one reasoning for export to HTML option.  After the document
          is opened in Internet Explorer, one can save it  or print it without I
          programming those options. This minimizes my programming effort which
          I badly want to keep minimal.

          BTW, is there any newer versions fo Anjali? Did you get a chance to
          look at my comments..

          thanks,
          Cibu

          --
          More about me: http://www.blogger.com/profile/1246232

          Transliteration based Malayalam Editor @ http://varamozhi.sourceforge.net

        • Cibu
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 20, 2004
            > I asked you why exporting to internet explorer. You can better export to
            > text file and open it in notepad. Notepad also support unicode, big endian,
            > and utf-8 formats apart from ANSI. notepad is more silent and faster than
            > IE.

            I am sorry... I misunderstood your question. I agree notepad is
            better. But the notepad in Windows NT 4.0 doesn't look like supporting
            Unicode fully. The conjucts are not formed. It is like viewing in
            Malayalam Unicode text in FireFox. Is there something I should do?

            > I think you have the latest copy of anjali. are u using it?

            yes. I am. Eventhough there are some glitches, it is my favourite font now.

            thanks,
            cibu
          • kevinsooryan@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 20, 2004
              dear
              actually i dont know about the notepad in versions other than xp.
              and what ar the major glitches, is there anything which i have not noticed yet?

              in the coming version of anjali, baseline will be OK. letter height will be levelled to the height of english small letters (any different suggestion?), will be autohinted in fontographer, number of glyphs will be reduced and number of possible conjucts will be increased, reph feature will be working. anything more required?

              kevin & siji
              ________________________

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 21, 2004
                Kevin,

                here are my recommendations:

                1. symbol for 'ra' does not come left of a conjunct. eg: try writing
                'ktra' in varamozhi and export

                2. samvr~thOkaaram shows a doted circle. eg: annu~. Also when I write
                '10-)o' the doted circle appear. Unicode is yet to define how to
                render above two cases. Nevertheless, they are important.

                3. Times new roman, Courier etc have different size for small letters
                compared to Verdana or Tahoma at same point size. I don't know why.
                Since Malayalam glyphs are more complex than English, I would suggest
                you to make Anjali point size comparable to Verdana instead of Times
                new roman for viewing comfort.

                4. i prefer the 'au' vowel symbol to be without 'e' vowel symbol
                infront. 'au' with 'e' symbol in front is too old for me :)

                thanks,
                Cibu

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 24, 2004
                  Dear cibu,

                  1. symbol for 'ra' does not come left of a conjunct. eg: try writing
                  'ktra' in varamozhi and export

                  as per in original rachana, I've encoded anjali for this conjuct. anjali uses 'ra' from 'tira'(means wave) to make the ra symbol in the left. not 'ra' from 'tara'(means foundation). I based rachana program for this conjuct rule. Actually I dont have any other source for that. which 'ra' should be used to write 'ktra'? any rules available with you which will be accepted by everybody as a standard? or raise this point in the unicode indic list.
                  regarding 'mpa' conjuct, mr. nishad kaipally have a point. he says it should form from both ma+virama+pa and na+virama+pa. it should be mapped both way. it can be done, but not sure whether it is correct or not. he have quoted a sorting order from sabdataravali (or something like that, i dont remember properly). i have sent that mail in this group a few days before.

                  2. samvr~thOkaaram shows a doted circle. eg: annu~. Also when I write
                  '10-)o' the doted circle appear. Unicode is yet to define how to
                  render above two cases. Nevertheless, they are important.

                  samvruthokaaram is showing properly on my machine. u may have to update the usp10.dll. For displaying a symbol (pulli) alone, unicode says, put it after a sequence of space and ZWJ (or ZWNJ, i have a doubt, need to look the unicode books).

                  3.  Times new roman, Courier etc have different size for small letters
                  compared to Verdana or Tahoma at same point size. I don't know why.
                  Since Malayalam glyphs are more complex than English, I would suggest
                  you to make Anjali point size comparable to Verdana instead of Times
                  new roman for viewing comfort.

                  I will study more about this.

                  4. i prefer the 'au' vowel symbol to be without 'e' vowel symbol
                  infront. 'au' with 'e' symbol in front is too old for me :)

                  unicode have codepoints for both. If you dont want the 'e' before the letter, use the 'au' alone. the code is 0D57. if this is also coming with a dotted circle we have to ask microsoft.

                  kevin & siji
                  ________________________

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 25, 2004
                    Kevin,

                    > 1. symbol for 'ra' does not come left of a conjunct. eg: try writing
                    > 'ktra' in varamozhi and export
                    >
                    > as per in original rachana, I've encoded anjali for this conjuct. anjali
                    > uses 'ra' from 'tira'(means wave) to make the ra symbol in the left. not
                    > 'ra' from 'tara'(means foundation). I based rachana program for this conjuct
                    > rule. Actually I dont have any other source for that. which 'ra' should be
                    > used to write 'ktra'? any rules available with you which will be accepted by
                    > everybody as a standard? or raise this point in the unicode indic list.

                    My issue was not about general discussion of whether 'ra' or 'Ra'
                    should own the 'ra' symbol. Instead, for the particular conjunct
                    'ktra' the 'ra' symbol is being placed on the right instead of the
                    left by Anjali font. Please try converting 'ktra' to unicode through
                    varamozhi and let me know the result you see is correct or not.

                    > regarding 'mpa' conjuct, mr. nishad kaipally have a point. he says it should
                    > form from both ma+virama+pa and na+virama+pa. it should be mapped both way.
                    > it can be done, but not sure whether it is correct or not. he have quoted a
                    > sorting order from sabdataravali (or something like that, i dont remember
                    > properly). i have sent that mail in this group a few days before.

                    It is Ok solution. But the problem is while sorting. A word could be
                    written in two different ways. This ambiquity will affect the sorting
                    of the words. So my take on this is - please avoid introducing
                    ambiquities as far as possible.

                    > 2. samvr~thOkaaram shows a doted circle. eg: annu~. Also when I write
                    > '10-)o' the doted circle appear. Unicode is yet to define how to
                    > render above two cases. Nevertheless, they are important.
                    >
                    > samvruthokaaram is showing properly on my machine. u may have to update the
                    > usp10.dll. For displaying a symbol (pulli) alone, unicode says, put it after
                    > a sequence of space and ZWJ (or ZWNJ, i have a doubt, need to look the
                    > unicode books).

                    So you means to say, for 'nu~' I can write 0D28(na) + 0D41(u symbol) +
                    0D4D(chandrakkala). Then both 'u' symbol and chandrakkala will appear
                    after 'na'.

                    I am not attempting usp10.dll update because from the google search it
                    appears to me that, it involves some reboots are recovery procedure.

                    > 4. i prefer the 'au' vowel symbol to be without 'e' vowel symbol
                    > infront. 'au' with 'e' symbol in front is too old for me :)
                    >
                    > unicode have codepoints for both. If you dont want the 'e' before the
                    > letter, use the 'au' alone. the code is 0D57. if this is also coming with a
                    > dotted circle we have to ask microsoft.

                    Here also, my confusion is about the ambiquity of representation. If I
                    use 0D57, a word containging 'au' can be represented in two ways. Is
                    that right?

                    -thanks,
                    Cibu
                  • kevinsooryan@yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 26, 2004

                      സിബു,

                      (ക്റ്റ്ര) ശരിയാക്കാം. ഞാന്‍ നല്ലവണ്ണം പരിശോധിച്ചിട്ടാണു് വിട്ടതെങ്കിലും ഇതെന്റെ കണ്ണില്‍പെട്ടില്ല.

                      സംവൃതോകാരം എന്റെ അടുത്തു ശരിയ്ക്കും വരുന്നുണ്ടു്. ഈ എഴുത്തില്‍ തന്നെ പലയിടത്തും ഞാന്‍ അതു പ്രയോഗിച്ചിട്ടുണ്ടു്. സിബുവിന്റെ കമ്പ്യൂട്ടറില്‍ കാണുന്നില്ലെങ്കില്‍, പഴയ യൂണീസ്ക്രൈബിന്റെ കുഴപ്പമായിരിയ്ക്കണം.
                      0D28(na) + 0D41(u symbol) + 0D4D(chandrakkala) ശരിയാണു്. അതു പോലെ reph (ര്‍) ഒരു ഗോപി ചിഹ്നമായി തുടര്‍ന്നു വരുന്ന അക്ഷരത്തിന്റെ മുകളില്‍ വരുന്ന വിദ്യയും യൂണീസ്ക്രൈബില്‍ ഇപ്പോ ഇല്ല.

                      (ഔ) പുള്ളിയുടെ കാര്യം, പഴയ ലിപിയില്‍ ഖരത്തിന്റെ മുന്നിലും പിന്നിലും പുള്ളികള്‍ വേണം. പിന്നീടതു ഒരു പുള്ളി മാത്രമായി. രണ്ടു രീതിയിലും എഴുതാന്‍ സൌകര്യം വേണം, എന്നാല്‍ സോര്‍ട്ടിങ്ങില്‍ കാര്യങ്ങള്‍ പിശകാവുമായിരിയ്ക്കും. എന്തായാലും പഴയലിപിയില്‍ തന്നെ എഴുതുന്നവര്‍ക്കു അങ്ങിനെയും, പുതിയ ലിപിക്കാര്‍ക്കു അവരുടെ രീതിയിലും എഴുതാന്‍ സൌകര്യം വേണം.

                      kevin & siji
                      ________________________
                      move to unicode
                      let us help the diverse cultures on this earth sustain.

                      'ra' does not come left of a conjunct. eg: try writing
                      >> 'ktra' in
                      varamozhi and export

> [...]

                      displaying a symbol (pulli) alone, unicode says, put it after
                      sequence of space and ZWJ (or ZWNJ, i have a doubt, need to look the

                      unicode books).

                      > So you means to say, for 'nu~' I can write
                      0D28(na) + 0D41(u symbol) +
                      > 0D4D(chandrakkala). Then both 'u'
                      symbol and chandrakkala will appear
                      > after 'na'.
                      >
                      > I am
                      not attempting usp10.dll update because from the google search it

                      appears to me that, it involves some reboots are recovery procedure.

                      >> 4. i prefer the 'au' vowel symbol to be
                      without 'e' vowel symbol
                      >> infront. 'au' with 'e' symbol in front is
                      too old for me :)

                      >> unicode have codepoints
                      for both. If you dont want the 'e' before the
                      >> letter, use the 'au'
                      alone. the code is 0D57. if this is also coming with a
                      we have to ask microsoft.

                      > Here also, my confusion is about the
                      ambiquity of representation. If I
                      > use 0D57, a word containging 'au' can
                      be represented in two ways. Is
                      > that right?

                      -thanks,
                      > Cibu

                    • Cibu
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 26, 2004
                        Kevin,

                        > സംവൃതോകാരം എന്റെ അടുത്തു ശരിയ്ക്കും വരുന്നുണ്ടു്. ഈ എഴുത്തില്‍ തന്നെ
                        > പലയിടത്തും ഞാന്‍ അതു പ്രയോഗിച്ചിട്ടുണ്ടു്. സിബുവിന്റെ കമ്പ്യൂട്ടറില്‍
                        > കാണുന്നില്ലെങ്കില്‍, പഴയ യൂണീസ്ക്രൈബിന്റെ കുഴപ്പമായിരിയ്ക്കണം.

                        How do you update the uniscribe engine? Where do you get it from?

                        > (ഔ) പുള്ളിയുടെ കാര്യം, പഴയ ലിപിയില്‍ ഖരത്തിന്റെ മുന്നിലും പിന്നിലും
                        > പുള്ളികള്‍ വേണം. പിന്നീടതു ഒരു പുള്ളി മാത്രമായി. രണ്ടു രീതിയിലും എഴുതാന്‍
                        > സൌകര്യം വേണം, എന്നാല്‍ സോര്‍ട്ടിങ്ങില്‍ കാര്യങ്ങള്‍ പിശകാവുമായിരിയ്ക്കും.
                        > എന്തായാലും പഴയലിപിയില്‍ തന്നെ എഴുതുന്നവര്‍ക്കു അങ്ങിനെയും, പുതിയ
                        > ലിപിക്കാര്‍ക്കു അവരുടെ രീതിയിലും എഴുതാന്‍ സൌകര്യം വേണം.

                        Irrespective of, one is writting 'au' symbol with left & right symbols
                        or with right symbol only, the alphabet is 'au' itself. Unicode is
                        standardizing the alphabets. Hence only one encoding should be used in
                        both the cases.

                        Now for those who want to see left&right symbols for 'au' should use a
                        different (more traditional) font. And those who want to see right
                        symbol only should use another malayalam (more contemporary) font. So
                        reader has the control on viewing a malayalam text (it is not the
                        writer who gets control). Also, it is not possible to integrate both
                        into one Unicode font by definition.

                        0D57 ('au' length marker) is just a mechanism to produce the right
                        part alone by the combination = space + 0D57('au' length marker) +
                        ZWJ.

                        BTW, I was just querying about the how much traditional Anjali Unicode
                        should be. Keeping right & left parts of 'au' symbol is your personal
                        preference. If I don't like it, then, as per unicode, I am suppose to
                        create my own font :)

                        thanks,
                        Cibu

                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 26, 2004

                          Dear cibu,

                          i didnot update the usp10.dll itself. i have installed the sp2 update for xp. it carries an updated uniscribe. i think the latest version of IE also carry an updated version of uniscribe, u can check in the microsoft site. anyway i am waiting for the next update of uniscribe, with a fix for reph.

                          regarding 'au', will write later.

                          kevin & siji