Re: [vanvogt] Re: Haunted Atoms

  • Alexander Martin Pfleger
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2009
      Hello all we have on this planet,

      Having read the story, here my statement: perhaps not a forgotten masterpiece (but we shouldn´t forget that in most cases the not so good van Vogt stories are better than the best stories of some other authors like for example...), but it has indeed some undeniable atmospheric qualities and some interesting thematical parallels to the Clane Linn stories and to "The House that stood still". You read it, and you see - "it is van Vogt!"

      Yours,

      Alexander

      Thanks for posting The Haunted Atoms, Isaac. A good complement to a hot lazy summer afternoon... It's not as ambitious as many of his stories, but I still liked it, and always enjoy that unmistakable idiosyncratic VV style. It's a rare treat to finally read some of the handful of his stories that were never anthologized.

      Having problems with message search? Fill out this form to ensure your group is one of the first to be migrated to the new message search system.

      Re: [vanvogt] Haunted Atoms

      Right on, Alexander! Rare, but not great. As Isaac points out, it's not one

      of his better stories. The story was published in 1951, but I suspect van

      wrote it much earlier, as the writing in this story seems to be a bit rough

      around the edges. Van wasn't noted for his writing, but this one, I think,

      was written before van reached his best level.

      Agree with you, Isaac, about the story's distinctive mood and material of

      interest. Thanks for sharing.

      Sully

      Not one of his better stories, but it has a distinctive mood and

      certainly contains some material of interest.

      Also, I'll be updating the site tonight with some new covers and more

      illustrations.

      Enjoy!

      Isaac