To read van Vogt

  • Alexander Martin Pfleger
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3 4:16 AM
      Glattbach, den 3. 4. 2007

      Alexander Martin Pfleger

      Weidegang 15

      63864 Glattbach

      Tel. 06021 / 412722

      Hello Donald, Isaac and other slans!

      Very well said!

      Van Vogt speaks both to the intellectuality and the imagination of his readers!

      Almaphros

      On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 01:14:44 -0000 "tiptoebasoon"

      <mxkw2wb02@...> writes:

      a review of Slan and Slan Hunter, about a third of the way down the

      page:

      http://www.dondammassa.com/r1.htm

      a couple interesting articles about aevv and null-a:

      http://www.book-of-thoth.com/article1655.html

      http://www.junkware.net/Bootstraps/00-1101.htm

      This review, the way I see it, is typical of many reviews of Van's works.

      One of the complaints is that Van doesn't thoroughly explain how things

      come about, he expects the reader to just accept it.

      What many reviewers don't realize is that Van focused more on

      storytelling than on long, boring explanations. (As a reader, I skip

      over long explanations that some writers give in their stories. I

      quickly learned that you can't skip over anything Van writes, because

      everything he writes has meaning.)

      And I didn't get merely a triad of this email, I got a whole bevy of them

      :-)

      Donald

      > One of the complaints is that Van doesn't thoroughly explain how things

      > come about, he expects the reader to just accept it.

      > What many reviewers don't realize is that Van focused more on

      > storytelling than on long, boring explanations. (As a reader, I skip

      > over long explanations that some writers give in their stories. I

      > quickly learned that you can't skip over anything Van writes, because

      > everything he writes has meaning.)

      Well said, Donald. Van Vogt interacted a lot with his readers, by

      making them do a lot of the creation process -- you had to think to

      fill in the "gaps." Most people don't take well to this -- they want

      to be spoon-fed every little thing. When they don't instantly

      understand something they get mad and call the author lousy and

      incompetent for not doing all their thinking for them.

      > And I didn't get merely a triad of this email, I got a whole bevy of

      > them

      > :-)

      Likewise. I wrote that particular email after only the lonesome three

      had arrived in my inbox -- but all their sisters and cousins and aunts

      were right behind them!

      Isaac