Vanilla upgrade path

  • g_poul
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 22, 2002
      Today I looked at vanilla again... wait... actually I'm looking at
      it each day... but today I looked at the source again... :)

      I think I now understand at least the basics about how it works...
      but I'm not so sure yet... although I made a few modifications and
      they seem to work... but nothing big...

      I had the thought that it might be extremely difficult to upgrade to
      future versions because we are all playing around with the source. -
      what do you think?

      I remember my last vanilla upgrade... it wasn't fun... - Is there
      anyone out there who has a good idea about how to make this upgrade
      stuff easier?

      my 2 euro-cents: maybe it would make it easier to publish patch
      files?

      btw: I also had a few nice ideas today about new vanilla features
      and I'll post more about that later.
    • Earl Walker
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 22, 2002
        Hi!

        > I had the thought that it might be extremely difficult to upgrade to
        > future versions because we are all playing around with the source. -
        > what do you think?

        currently the "playing around" makes a consistent release management
        quite bothersome ;)

        no fine news, but _at the moment_ there is no other way, but to get in
        contact with me or with chris if you'd like to see some of your
        changes merged to upstream vanilla. we'll see if and where the changes
        fit and accomodate it for the next release.

        i repeat: there *is* no automated way round this. one can contribute
        stuff to "the community" in which ever way she wants, but to merge
        things upstream, get in contact with chris or me.

        > I remember my last vanilla upgrade... it wasn't fun... - Is there
        > anyone out there who has a good idea about how to make this upgrade
        > stuff easier?

        vanilla is living in a quite interesting "open source" zone. advocates
        often preach that "the user" is able to change everything - but be
        honest, how often did you change things in apache's core?

        vanilla is different here. some difference is due to REBOL (-> easy
        comprehensibility of the source), some differences are due to the
        current "design." the user is currently forced to get into the source,
        to do some stuff that should be made easier to do (eg. lots of html
        template stuff).

        there are various approaches underway, to ease this situation.

        !! if one out there thinks that she has *really* good grip with the
        vanilla core (vanilla.r) and would like to help with the core cleanup:
        shout out loud ;)

        > my 2 euro-cents: maybe it would make it easier to publish patch
        > files?

        see above.

        > btw: I also had a few nice ideas today about new vanilla features
        > and I'll post more about that later.

        yeah! post them, post them, POST THEM ;)

        --
        Best regards,
        Earl mailto:earl.walker@...
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2002
          > no fine news, but _at the moment_ there is no other way, but to get in
          > contact with me or with chris if you'd like to see some of your
          > changes merged to upstream vanilla. we'll see if and where the changes
          > fit and accomodate it for the next release.

          Creating a ChangeLog file would also help. :)

          That way everyone would be able to know which files where modified and
          what was fixed. - so you are able to fix your own files if needed.

          > vanilla is living in a quite interesting "open source" zone. advocates
          > often preach that "the user" is able to change everything - but be
          > honest, how often did you change things in apache's core?

          Please don't remind me how often I had to...

          But IMHO the point is that they 'can' do that. - Not that they will do
          it.

          They might also pay a consultant to do it. ;-)))

          But this is not the right location for an open/free software debate.

          > vanilla is different here. some difference is due to REBOL (-> easy
          > comprehensibility of the source), some differences are due to the
          > current "design." the user is currently forced to get into the source,
          > to do some stuff that should be made easier to do (eg. lots of html
          > template stuff).

          IMHO the problem is not when new features are added by the user but when
          something is modified. -> And that's why I thought it might be better to
          have a patch file...

          But I recognized one thing... I can also create patch files of my
          modifications and apply them to new releases :-)))

          A ChangeLog would still be nice to have.

          > there are various approaches underway, to ease this situation.

          ChangeLog?? :)

          > !! if one out there thinks that she has *really* good grip with the
          > vanilla core (vanilla.r) and would like to help with the core cleanup:
          > shout out loud ;)

          rotfl.

          > > btw: I also had a few nice ideas today about new vanilla features
          > > and I'll post more about that later.
          >
          > yeah! post them, post them, POST THEM ;)

          I'm sorry... haven't had time to write everything down yet. - my mails
          are still in the draft folder. -> will mail them asap.
        • Earl Walker
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 5, 2002
            Hi!

            Sunday, March 03, 2002, 8:07:50 AM, you wrote:

            > Creating a ChangeLog file would also help. :)

            as this was your only message, a mere reply here will do :)

            yep, we've had a changelog for 0.5.1, i'm not sure it was complete :)
            depending on my personal time, there may be an 0.5.2 - i promise,
            you'll get at least a basic changelog attached ;)

            however, a little bit further on the horizon is a quite interesting
            vanilla release. i'm very sorry guys and girls, but currently my time
            is really sparse.

            i know i promised quite a few things recently, but the austrian armed
            forces are currently stealing my time - and believe it or not, i have
            no choice but doing as they command ;))

            i have a good feeling, that things get better within the next two
            weeks, maybe even by next monday ;)

            stay tuned! vanilla is well worth it ;)

            --
            Best regards,