Re: [valleyveg] Hornet Nest Removal??

  • martinez.tara@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 22 4:46 PM
      Hi Jack,
      I consulted with our entomologist today.  He says you can indeed just leave them alone until it gets cooler outside.  Typically around Oct-Nov, they will abandon the nest and overwinter in the ground.   BUT, the fledglings come back to the nest when the weather warms up again.  So, you don't want to let the nest overwinter.  And, he also says to have someone else remove it because a few will always stay behind to protect the territory.
      Good luck!  Tara

      Hi Jack,
      We had a hornets' nest on our back patio when we lived in Seattle.  Since I had a very young child at the time, I certainly wasn't going to take any action on my own.  If you bother their nest, they will get angry, and you don't want that.  The exterminator that came used special skin coverings so that he didn't get stung.  Whatever you do, don't handle it yourself.  Susan Jaffe

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 22 4:54 PM
        Re: [valleyveg] Hornet Nest Removal?? If they are with in 20 feet of you. Kill them or they will come after you.
        Like Bees they may not like the chemial smell of your breath.

        They do not like noise either. And we all know what a party animal Jack is.

        I am sure the earth will still turn with out a few wasp or any bugs.
        -rey

        on 8/22/05 4:46 PM, martinez.tara@... at martinez.tara@... wrote:

        Hi Jack,
        I consulted with our entomologist today.  He says you can indeed just leave them alone until it gets cooler outside.  Typically around Oct-Nov, they will abandon the nest and overwinter in the ground.   BUT, the fledglings come back to the nest when the weather warms up again.  So, you don't want to let the nest overwinter.  And, he also says to have someone else remove it because a few will always stay behind to protect the territory.
        Good luck!  Tara

        "Hamburgers, Steak, Prime Rib, Chicken and Cheese make my mouth water but my Colon cringe."
        -Rey Ortega
        Sun Flour Baking Company

        Thank you for your time,
        Rey Ortega

        Sun Flour Baking Company/SK Publishing

        E mail: rey@...
        Web Addresses:
        http://www.sunflourbaking.com
        http://www.animalartgreetingcards.com
        http://www.tuckertomato.com
        http://www.sunkingpublishing.com

        Phone: 916-488-4150
        Fax: 916-487-8278
        Address: Sun Flour Baking Company/SK Publishing
        2464 Marconi Ave Sacramento, CA 95821

      • charma1117
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 22 5:43 PM
          Hi Jack,
          I understand not wanting to kill them. I had a nest in my backyard
          and was stung in the head while I was just walking in my yard. I was
          sick all day with a horrible headache. Next they started attacking
          my dogs anytime I let them out. It was too much and I had hornets
          removed. They are aggressive little buggers!

          Good luck
          Charlotte

          --- In valleyveg@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Norris" <jacknorris@s...>