Dine-out this Saturday evening

  • Ken Jaffe
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 21, 2005
      Hi all,

      You are invited to join SVS at our February dine-out at Maalouf's Taste of Lebanon Restaurant (1433 Fulton Ave., Sacramento, 972-8768) at 7:00 PM this Saturday February 26.  Susan and I and another couple ate there this past Saturday evening, and the food was excellent.  The owners Abdul and Rita Maalouf are very friendly (Rita and their daughter Laylal handle the front and Abdul manages the kitchen).  They have an extensive vegan section in their menu, including some great vegan appetizers (such as the hummus, baba ganoujh, foul madamas (garlicky fava beans), tabbouleh, falafel and grape leaves), several salads, and a few entrees (including the excellent moussaka and some of the best falafel I've had in this area).  It was nice to not see yogurt on anything (as is often the case in Lebanese food).  Prices are very reasonable ($4-6 for appetizers and salads, $8-10 for entrees).  They have some excellent Lebanese wines and an assortment of non-alcoholic beverages, including mint tea and turkish espresso.  Best of all, they have a belly dancer Friday and Saturday evenings from around 7:30-9:00 (we saw Marie this past Saturday; she was talented and lovely).  Since Abdul and Rita's facility is small, they would like a rough head-count by this Thursday.  I wouldn't be surprised if Abdul even makes a few special vegan items for us, if we have a good size group.  So if possible, kindly RSVP by midday this Thursday (kjaffe@...; 916-631-7766; cell 916-952-0783).  I hope to see you there.

      Ken Jaffe

      SVS dine-out coordinator

      916-631-7766

      cell 916-952-0783