Re: [valleyveg] Hornet Nest Removal??

  • Cynthia Embree-Lavoie
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 21, 2005
      Sorry I don't have any suggestions, but I am really inspired and touched by your concern for the winged critters (not to mention the environment).  Hope you get some answers.

      Metta,
      Cynthia
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 22, 2005
        Hi Jack,
        We had a hornets' nest on our back patio when we lived in Seattle.  Since I had a very young child at the time, I certainly wasn't going to take any action on my own.  If you bother their nest, they will get angry, and you don't want that.  The exterminator that came used special skin coverings so that he didn't get stung.  Whatever you do, don't handle it yourself.  Susan Jaffe

[...]

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      • martinez.tara@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 22, 2005
          Hi Jack,
          I consulted with our entomologist today.  He says you can indeed just leave them alone until it gets cooler outside.  Typically around Oct-Nov, they will abandon the nest and overwinter in the ground.   BUT, the fledglings come back to the nest when the weather warms up again.  So, you don't want to let the nest overwinter.  And, he also says to have someone else remove it because a few will always stay behind to protect the territory.
          Good luck!  Tara

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 22, 2005
            Re: [valleyveg] Hornet Nest Removal?? If they are with in 20 feet of you. Kill them or they will come after you.
            Like Bees they may not like the chemial smell of your breath.

            They do not like noise either. And we all know what a party animal Jack is.

            I am sure the earth will still turn with out a few wasp or any bugs.
            -rey

            on 8/22/05 4:46 PM, martinez.tara@... at martinez.tara@... wrote:

            Hi Jack,
            I consulted with our entomologist today.  He says you can indeed just leave them alone until it gets cooler outside.  Typically around Oct-Nov, they will abandon the nest and overwinter in the ground.   BUT, the fledglings come back to the nest when the weather warms up again.  So, you don't want to let the nest overwinter.  And, he also says to have someone else remove it because a few will always stay behind to protect the territory.
            Good luck!  Tara

            "Hamburgers, Steak, Prime Rib, Chicken and Cheese make my mouth water but my Colon cringe."
            -Rey Ortega
            Sun Flour Baking Company

            Thank you for your time,
            Rey Ortega

            Sun Flour Baking Company/SK Publishing

            E mail: rey@...
            Web Addresses:
            http://www.sunflourbaking.com
            http://www.animalartgreetingcards.com
            http://www.tuckertomato.com
            http://www.sunkingpublishing.com

            Phone: 916-488-4150
            Fax: 916-487-8278
            Address: Sun Flour Baking Company/SK Publishing
            2464 Marconi Ave Sacramento, CA 95821

          • charma1117
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 22, 2005
              Hi Jack,
              I understand not wanting to kill them. I had a nest in my backyard
              and was stung in the head while I was just walking in my yard. I was
              sick all day with a horrible headache. Next they started attacking
              my dogs anytime I let them out. It was too much and I had hornets
              removed. They are aggressive little buggers!

              Good luck
              Charlotte

              --- In valleyveg@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Norris" <jacknorris@s...>