Re: [valleyveg] Hornet Nest Removal??

  • fgray4birds@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 20, 2005
      Hi Jack.  I don't know anything about hornets, but I admire your thoughfulness and sensitivity to be asking the question.  I have used the spray route, but will think more next time.  Hope someone knows the answer.  Best of Luck, Frank Gray, Antelope
    • Cynthia Embree-Lavoie
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 21, 2005
        Sorry I don't have any suggestions, but I am really inspired and touched by your concern for the winged critters (not to mention the environment).  Hope you get some answers.

        Metta,
        Cynthia
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 22, 2005
          Hi Jack,
          We had a hornets' nest on our back patio when we lived in Seattle.  Since I had a very young child at the time, I certainly wasn't going to take any action on my own.  If you bother their nest, they will get angry, and you don't want that.  The exterminator that came used special skin coverings so that he didn't get stung.  Whatever you do, don't handle it yourself.  Susan Jaffe

[...]

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        • martinez.tara@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 22, 2005
            Hi Jack,
            I consulted with our entomologist today.  He says you can indeed just leave them alone until it gets cooler outside.  Typically around Oct-Nov, they will abandon the nest and overwinter in the ground.   BUT, the fledglings come back to the nest when the weather warms up again.  So, you don't want to let the nest overwinter.  And, he also says to have someone else remove it because a few will always stay behind to protect the territory.
            Good luck!  Tara

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 22, 2005
              Re: [valleyveg] Hornet Nest Removal?? If they are with in 20 feet of you. Kill them or they will come after you.
              Like Bees they may not like the chemial smell of your breath.

              They do not like noise either. And we all know what a party animal Jack is.

              I am sure the earth will still turn with out a few wasp or any bugs.
              -rey

              on 8/22/05 4:46 PM, martinez.tara@... at martinez.tara@... wrote:

              Hi Jack,
              I consulted with our entomologist today.  He says you can indeed just leave them alone until it gets cooler outside.  Typically around Oct-Nov, they will abandon the nest and overwinter in the ground.   BUT, the fledglings come back to the nest when the weather warms up again.  So, you don't want to let the nest overwinter.  And, he also says to have someone else remove it because a few will always stay behind to protect the territory.
              Good luck!  Tara

              "Hamburgers, Steak, Prime Rib, Chicken and Cheese make my mouth water but my Colon cringe."
              -Rey Ortega
              Sun Flour Baking Company

              Thank you for your time,
              Rey Ortega

              Sun Flour Baking Company/SK Publishing

              E mail: rey@...
              Web Addresses:
              http://www.sunflourbaking.com
              http://www.animalartgreetingcards.com
              http://www.tuckertomato.com
              http://www.sunkingpublishing.com

              Phone: 916-488-4150
              Fax: 916-487-8278
              Address: Sun Flour Baking Company/SK Publishing
              2464 Marconi Ave Sacramento, CA 95821

            • charma1117
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 22, 2005
                Hi Jack,
                I understand not wanting to kill them. I had a nest in my backyard
                and was stung in the head while I was just walking in my yard. I was
                sick all day with a horrible headache. Next they started attacking
                my dogs anytime I let them out. It was too much and I had hornets
                removed. They are aggressive little buggers!

                Good luck
                Charlotte

                --- In valleyveg@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Norris" <jacknorris@s...>