Hornet Nest Removal??

  • Jack Norris
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 20, 2005
      Hornet Nest Removal??

      Please don't feel obligated to read this post....

      I have a hornets nest in a closet on my back patio which stores my water heater, and I'm contemplating killing them because I need to replace the door to the closet that has become warped from the weather. I feel a bit nervous working on it while hornets are flying in and out of the closet.

      I don't know if hornets are capable of being conscious of pain -- I'm skeptical that any insects or bugs are -- but I'd rather not kill them if possible. I also think they may have positive environmental benefits.

      My main question is, will it get cold enough in Sacramento to where the hornets will eventually leave the nest or hibernate at which point I can safely replace the door?

      If so, should I knock the nest down -- or will the hibernating hornets come flying out to get me?

      I realize that I could just go buy hornet killing pesticides and spray the nest at night, but as I said above, I don't like resorting to that if it's not going to hurt me too much to just wait until winter.

      If anyone has any experience with this or suggestions, they would be welcome.

      Maybe I'll just slowly take the door off and put it back on watching very diligently for angry hornets. Sigh.

      Thanks,

      Jack
    • Tara Martinez
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 20, 2005

        Hi Jack,

        I can ask my coworker on Monday.  He is an entomologist (we work for an organic pesticide company), so he’ll probably have some good ideas.  I will let you know what he says.

        Tara

      • fgray4birds@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 20, 2005
          Hi Jack.  I don't know anything about hornets, but I admire your thoughfulness and sensitivity to be asking the question.  I have used the spray route, but will think more next time.  Hope someone knows the answer.  Best of Luck, Frank Gray, Antelope
        • Cynthia Embree-Lavoie
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 21, 2005
            Sorry I don't have any suggestions, but I am really inspired and touched by your concern for the winged critters (not to mention the environment).  Hope you get some answers.

            Metta,
            Cynthia

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 22, 2005
              Hi Jack,
              We had a hornets' nest on our back patio when we lived in Seattle.  Since I had a very young child at the time, I certainly wasn't going to take any action on my own.  If you bother their nest, they will get angry, and you don't want that.  The exterminator that came used special skin coverings so that he didn't get stung.  Whatever you do, don't handle it yourself.  Susan Jaffe

[...]

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            • martinez.tara@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 22, 2005
                Hi Jack,
                I consulted with our entomologist today.  He says you can indeed just leave them alone until it gets cooler outside.  Typically around Oct-Nov, they will abandon the nest and overwinter in the ground.   BUT, the fledglings come back to the nest when the weather warms up again.  So, you don't want to let the nest overwinter.  And, he also says to have someone else remove it because a few will always stay behind to protect the territory.
                Good luck!  Tara

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 22, 2005
                  Re: [valleyveg] Hornet Nest Removal?? If they are with in 20 feet of you. Kill them or they will come after you.
                  Like Bees they may not like the chemial smell of your breath.

                  They do not like noise either. And we all know what a party animal Jack is.

                  I am sure the earth will still turn with out a few wasp or any bugs.
                  -rey

                  on 8/22/05 4:46 PM, martinez.tara@... at martinez.tara@... wrote:

                  Hi Jack,
                  I consulted with our entomologist today.  He says you can indeed just leave them alone until it gets cooler outside.  Typically around Oct-Nov, they will abandon the nest and overwinter in the ground.   BUT, the fledglings come back to the nest when the weather warms up again.  So, you don't want to let the nest overwinter.  And, he also says to have someone else remove it because a few will always stay behind to protect the territory.
                  Good luck!  Tara

                  "Hamburgers, Steak, Prime Rib, Chicken and Cheese make my mouth water but my Colon cringe."
                  -Rey Ortega
                  Sun Flour Baking Company

                  Thank you for your time,
                  Rey Ortega

                  Sun Flour Baking Company/SK Publishing

                  E mail: rey@...
                  Web Addresses:
                  http://www.sunflourbaking.com
                  http://www.animalartgreetingcards.com
                  http://www.tuckertomato.com
                  http://www.sunkingpublishing.com

                  Phone: 916-488-4150
                  Fax: 916-487-8278
                  Address: Sun Flour Baking Company/SK Publishing
                  2464 Marconi Ave Sacramento, CA 95821

                • charma1117
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 22, 2005
                    Hi Jack,
                    I understand not wanting to kill them. I had a nest in my backyard
                    and was stung in the head while I was just walking in my yard. I was
                    sick all day with a horrible headache. Next they started attacking
                    my dogs anytime I let them out. It was too much and I had hornets
                    removed. They are aggressive little buggers!

                    Good luck
                    Charlotte

                    --- In valleyveg@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Norris" <jacknorris@s...>