Northern CA Vegan Outreach Update

  • Jack Norris
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2011
      Valley Veg,

      I'd like to post an update about the local schools that Vegan Outreach
      leafleted this past semester.

      Jeni Haines once again filled in for Brian Grupe, who continues to
      heal from a shoulder injury. In February, Jeni fell off her long
      board and broke her collar bone, which stopped her from leafleting for
      a month. Brian stepped up his outreach with this turn of events and
      between the two of them, 38,794 students were reached at nearly 100
      schools with Jeni personally reaching 22,318 and Brian 16,476.

      Nora Kramer, Mercy for Animals new Dallas Texas Coordinator, joined
      Brian at 6 schools before moving, reaching 2,445 students. Nora will
      be missed! A new rising star, Lori Atkinson, reached 1,706 students
      at 5 different schools with Brian. Lori heard about volunteering
      through a post made to the Bay Area Vegetarians yahoo group in March.
      Michelle Setaro joined Jeni at 4 schools in the Modesto area during
      Jeni’s month long Central Valley tour, reaching 1,207.

      Brian and Jeni met a number of students who had received Vegan
      Outreach materials in previous semesters who reported altering their
      diet after receiving the leaflet. Check out Vegan Outerach’s
      homepage, where a revolving display of photos is present showing just
      some of the people we’ve met who have told us they’ve changed from our
      booklets:

      http://www.veganoutreach.org/

      In order to raise the funds for this outreach, Vegan Outreach does a
      yearly matching donation fundraiser called Team Vegan. It is currently
      in full swing right now and if you would like to support Jeni or
      Brian's work with a donation to their page, you can at one of these
      links:

      http://www.teamvegan.biz/team/Brian
      http://www.teamvegan.biz/team/Jeni

      We currently need almost $30,000 more to reach our goal of $75,000.

      These colleges were reached in the Bay Area, Central Valley, and Reno:

      Chabot | San Jose City | Evergreen Valley | Coll of San Mateo | Notre
      Dam de Namur | UC Berkeley | Mills | Mission | San Jose State |
      Truckee Meadows | U of Nevada – Reno | Lake Tahoe | San Francisco
      State | Skyline | University of San Francisco | UC San Francisco |
      Contra Costa | UC Davis | Foothill | Stanford | De Anza | City College
      of SF | Diablo Valley | Los Medanos | Berkeley City | Cabrillo |
      Hartnell | Gavilan | Solano Community | Napa Valley | Sonoma State |
      Santa Rosa Junior | Merritt | Laney | Coll of Alameda | Ohlone | Santa
      Clara University | CSU – East Bay | Academy of Art | Hastings College
      of the Law | Canada | Menlo | UC Santa Cruz | Monterey Peninsula | CSU
      –Monterey Bay | Las Positas | Bakersfield | CSU – Bakersfield |
      Reedley | Coll of the Sequoias | Fresno City | CSU – Fresno | Merced |
      UC Merced | Modesto Junior | CSU – Stanislaus | San Joaquin Delta |
      University of the Pacific | Yuba | Butte | CSU – Chico | Shasta |
      Sacramento State | Sierra | Folsom Lake | American River | Cosumnes
      River | Sacramento City |

      These high schools were also reached:

      Monterey | Oakland | Alameda | El Camino | Piedmont | Miramonte | Las
      Lomas | El Cerrito | Oakland Tech | Grace Davis | Rio Americano |

      Thank you!

      Jack

      --
      Jack Norris, Registered Dietitian
      President, Vegan Outreach |  VeganHealth.org