Rediscovering Veganism at World Veg Festival

  • Victor Tsou
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2009
      I am happy to announce that I will be offering a talk this Sunday at the San Francisco Vegetarian Society's World Veg Day! (see blurb below) I hope you'll join us for a lively presentation about the vegan ideal of non-exploitation! (what is it anyway? and how does it affect us as advocates?) As well, Miranda and I will be tabling all day on Sunday. Please stop by and say hello!

      WHAT: Talk: Rediscovering Veganism
      WHEN: Sunday, October 3, 2009, 4:00 - 5:15 pm
      ADDRESS: San Francisco County Fair Building, 9th Avenue at Lincoln, Garden Club Room
      URLS: www.sfvs.org/wvd/ and loveallbeings.org

      Rediscovering the vegan ideal of non-exploitation

      •    Are you interested in learning more about veganism?
      •    Are you curious about what the term ‘animal rights’ actually means?
      •    Are you interested in the connections between the exploitation of non-human and human animals?
      •    Do you passionately oppose the –isms, including classism, racism, sexism and speciesism?
      •    Do you find killing and exploiting others to be unacceptable, regardless of whether or not they suffered while they were being exploited?
      •    Do you think about relationships in terms of power and privilege?
      •    Do you want to hear something new about veganism?

      If you answered YES to any of the above, you may be interested in this talk!

       “The word veganism shall mean the doctrine that [humans] should live without exploiting animals.” – The Vegan Society, 1951

      While in recent times veganism has been reduced to a mere means to reducing suffering, historically, veganism meant something quite different and wonderful: the ideal of living without exploiting others.

      Victor Tsou will be offering a talk titled, “Rediscovering Veganism: Beyond animal welfare.” Come learn what animal rights and animal welfare actually mean in practical terms to us as vegans and animal advocates; how animal welfare relates to veganism; and how the vegan ideal of non-exploitation can help deepen our practice of veganism and revitalize our vegan advocacy.

      Victor is a community-based vegan advocate living in Oakland. He is a member of Living Opposed to Violence and Exploitation (L.O.V.E.), a collective promoting veganism as anti-oppression. Prior to joining L.O.V.E., Victor traveled the country leafleting for an animal welfare corporation. His experience speaking with people across the U.S. about veganism led him to question his old ideas about veganism and rediscover the vegan ideal of non-exploitation. Victor blogs regularly at loveallbeings.org.
      The Vegan Ideal: http://veganideal.org/
      Veganism as Anti-Oppression: http://loveallbeings.org/