Fw: Animal Cruelty is Not for Sale: Help Stop Cruel Pig Lab!

  • Laurette Timms
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 6, 2008

      ----- Forwarded Message ----
      From: American Anti-Vivisection Society <aavs@...>
      Sent: Monday, August 4, 2008 1:24:54 PM
      Subject: Animal Cruelty is Not for Sale: Help Stop Cruel Pig Lab!

      American Anti-Vivisection Society
      American Anti-Vivisection Society - Celebrating 125 years of ending the use of animals in science

      Animal Cruelty is Not For Sale: Help Stop Cruel Pig PigletsLab!

      This Thursday, August 7, Covidien Electrosurgery, a retailer of surgical tools, is planning to use live pigs to demonstrate the use of its products at a hotel in Colorado. According to the advertisement, "Procedures that will be performed include: ureteral dissection, pelvic and para-aortic lymphadenectomy, repair of simulated bowel and bladder injury, bowel resection, ureteral re-anasomosis, and liver resection."

      This is not the first time animals have been used to demonstrate medical devices. AAVS supporters may remember a case last year in which a dog was killed at the Cleveland Clinic after being used to show salespeople a tool to treat brain aneurysms. Following this incident, the Clinic was issued a warning by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and legislators introduced a bill titled the Animal Protection Accountability Improvement Act that would prohibit the use of live animals for marketing medical devices. This bill is still in the House of Representatives’ subcommittee on Livestock, Dairy, and Poultry.

      Your urgent action is needed to stop this week’s marketing event and save the lives of these pigs. Please contact the hotel that is hosting the conference and urge it to cancel Covidien’s event. Tell the hotel that you will not patronize a place that plays host to such gratuitous animal abuse. Remember to make your voice heard before August 7!

      David Jurcak, General Manager
      Omni Interlocken Resort
      Broomfield, Colorado
      Phone: 303-438-6600
      Fax: 303-438-7224
      E-Mail: Use the webform at http://www.omnihotels.com/Home/ContactUsForm.aspx

      In addition, please help spare animals from being used in future demonstrations by asking your U.S. Representative to co-sponsor the Animal Protection Accountability Improvement Act (H.R. 2193).

      Click here to contact your Representative.

      Become a Member!

      When you join AAVS, you become part of the first animal organization in the country founded to end the cruel and unnecessary use of animals in science. We rely entirely on our members and friends for financial support. Your membership dues and contributions are used to support all of our campaigns and programs, as well as the production of our award winning publications.

      As an AAVS member, you are entitled to receive the quarterly AV Magazine and the bi-monthly Activate For Animals newsletter. These tools will help you stay up to date on the most current activities affecting animals in labs and our efforts to help them.

      Click here to join AAVS!

      Powered
      American Anti-Vivisection Society 801 Old York Road, Suite 204 Jenkintown, PA 19046 -215-887-0816
      To unsubscribe: click here.  |  Change profile: click here. |  To subscribe: click here

    • laurettetimms
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 6, 2008