Fwd: Global Boycott Proctor & Gamble Day May 16 - Get Active!

  • laurettetimms
    Message 1 of 1 , May 15, 2008
      --- In animalconnectiontx@yahoogroups.com, Shannon Morgan
      <fortheanmls@...> wrote:

      Pick up the phone on Call-In day to urge P&G to end cruel animal
      experiments
      Please join IDA and thousands of activists worldwide on May 16 -
      Global Boycott Proctor & Gamble Day. We'll unite to expose P&G's
      callous abuse and inform people about cruelty-free shopping in dozens
      of countries throughout the world. Our efforts on this day, and
      throughout the year, can save tens of thousands of animals from a
      horrific fate at the hands of P&G's vivisectors.
      P&G admits it conducts poisoning tests on animals to assess
      chemicals in their brands including Tide, Olay, Cascade, Pantene and
      Herbal Essences. Guinea pigs, rabbits, hamsters, ferrets, rats and
      mice are among the thousands of animals poisoned and killed every year
      in P&G's "product safety research," and cats and dogs are used in
      experiments for their pet foods. P&G are very secretive about their
      toxicity tests, where chemicals are repeatedly force-fed to animals,
      rubbed into their raw skin, or dripped into their eyes. Other brutal
      tests include forcing animals to inhale chemicals or injecting
      substances up their noses.
      P&G is known for an abundance of animal testing for such trivial,
      everyday products. And they are certainly the world's largest producer
      of such products, selling their brands (such as Fairy, Pantene, Ariel,
      Head & Shoulders, Olay, Iams/Eukanuba) in 140 countries worldwide. If
      hundreds of other companies can make similar cosmetics and household
      products without animal testing, so can P&G.
      The call-in is part of the 12th annual Global Boycott Procter &
      Gamble Day, led by the UK-based international animal protection group
      Uncaged and in partnership with dozens of animal protection
      organizations around the world. Over 140 events will take place across
      the world, from Sydney to Stockholm. The campaign is supported by
      stars such as Sir Paul McCartney, Pretenders lead-singer Chrissie
      Hynde, poet and musician Benjamin Zephaniah, and singer Morrissey.

      1) Please call, email, fax or write a letter to P&G on May 16th to
      politely urge Proctor & Gamble to stop testing on animals and instead
      redirect funds towards alternatives. Be polite but firm!
      Call-in to: 1-800-543-1745
      Webmail: http://pg.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/pg.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php
      Fax: (513) 983-9369
      Mailing address:
      Mr A.G. Laffley
      Chairman & CEO
      Procter & Gamble
      One Procter & Gamble Plaza
      Cincinnatti, OH 45202
      See a sample letter/email
      2) Write letters to the editors of your local newspapers and weekly
      newspapers. See a listing of all U.S. newspapers. Make sure to let us
      know if your letter gets printed. Below is a sample, though using your
      own words is strongly encouraged. See a sample letter/email
      For more on what you can do to stop P&G's cruel and unnecessary
      tests, visit www.pandgkills.com.
      Sample Letter To P&G Chair Laffley
      Dear Mr. Laffley:
      I am horrified to learn that Procter & Gamble continues to test on
      and kill animals in the development of cosmetic, household cleaning,
      and pet food products and ingredients.
      I will no longer buy any P&G products until the company permanently
      ceases testing on animals. I will be urging my friends, family, and
      colleagues to also boycott P&G products.
      Since 1999, several countries around the world, including the UK,
      have banned animal testing for cosmetics. The European Union also
      voted for the ban, which included the sale of animal-tested products
      within its borders.
      Polls show that the vast majority of the public is strongly against
      animal testing for cosmetic, household products, and pet foods, and
      that hundreds of companies do not engage in animal testing, yet make
      perfectly good, safe products.
      I urge P&G to establish a firm non-animal testing policy for these
      products and ingredients. With all the recent advances in non-animal
      technology, P&G should be able to eliminate animal tests. It is high
      time that P&G fulfill its stated desire to eliminate animal testing
      for non-drug products and ingredients. Until then I will continue to
      boycott P&G products and encourage others to do the same.
      Sincerely,
      YOUR NAME
      Sample Letter To the Editor
      Dear Editor:
      It is appalling that Procter & Gamble, which makes world-famous
      brands like Tide, Bounce, Mr. Clean, Olay, Crest, Pantene, Head &
      Shoulders, Pringles, and Iams/Eukanuba, among many others, continues
      to test products on animals.
      These experiments are cruel, unnecessary, and happening right now in
      the U.S. But we can all make a difference - and feel better about
      ourselves - simply by refusing to buy P&G products and switching to
      cruelty-free brands. I urge everyone to make this decision today -
      it's not as hard as you might think. The Web site www.pandgkills.com
      contains information and product lists.
      Sincerely,

      YOUR NAME