Re: [valleyveg] NFL player

  • Jack Norris
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 19, 2007
      I was listening to KHTK sports talk radio yesterday afternoon and the local
      Sacramento talk host, Grant Napier was discussing the Michael Vick
      indictment. Someone called up and asked what the difference was between what
      Vick did and what Brad Miller does (Miller is a Kings player and a hunter).
      Grant got huffy about it, defending Miller (and I don't fully disagree given
      that Miller isn't breaking any laws while Vick did) and then asked the guy
      if he was a vegetarian. The caller said he wasn't a vegetarian but insisted
      that there was no difference between Vick and Miller (and he was saying that
      what both of them do is bad). Napier told the caller that if he really felt
      that way he should be a vegetarian. He also said he thought the caller was
      crazy or something to that effect.

      Anyway, I thought it was a very interesting conversation and while Napier
      defended Miller, he didn't disparage vegetarians either.

      Jack Norris
      Vegan Outreach
      www.veganoutreach.org

      > Rob, it's a good point you make. It raises the interesting question of
      > whether making some steps toward a more humane society (outrage over dog
      > fighting) moves the ball in the right direction, or if it serves as a
    • veggoodness .
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 19, 2007
        Interesting. I always wish I could take part in conversations like this. I'm
        glad to hear that the radio host was rational and thoughtful.

        Me, I don't think hunting and dog fighting are anywhere near equivalent.
        Hunting is about as close to humane as a human carnivore can get. Animals
        eat other animals in nature, and arguably death by hunter's bullet is more
        humane than many of the other ways that a wild animal can die. (Wild animals
        don't die in their sleep of old age. It's starvation, disease, accident
        (e.g. getting hit by a car), injury/infection, predation, hypothermia, etc.)
        And hunting is also more humane than the way most farmed animals live and
        die. I have much less of a problem with hunting than I do with factory
        farming. Especially if the hunter actually uses the animal parts instead of
        just killing for fun.

        Dog fighting, on the other hand, forces animals to be extremely savage to
        each other in order to survive. There is no possibility of escape. It is
        slavery and torment from birth to death. At least a deer gets to be a deer
        for most of its life. These dogs never get a chance to be dogs.

        Laura

        >From: "Jack Norris" <jacknorris@...>
        >To: <valleyveg@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: Re: [valleyveg] NFL player
        >Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 10:49:32 -0700
        >
        >I was listening to KHTK sports talk radio yesterday afternoon and the local
        >Sacramento talk host, Grant Napier was discussing the Michael Vick
        >indictment. Someone called up and asked what the difference was between
        >what
        >Vick did and what Brad Miller does (Miller is a Kings player and a hunter).
        >Grant got huffy about it, defending Miller (and I don't fully disagree
        >given
        >that Miller isn't breaking any laws while Vick did) and then asked the guy
        >if he was a vegetarian. The caller said he wasn't a vegetarian but insisted
        >that there was no difference between Vick and Miller (and he was saying
        >that
        >what both of them do is bad). Napier told the caller that if he really felt
        >that way he should be a vegetarian. He also said he thought the caller was
        >crazy or something to that effect.
        >
        >Anyway, I thought it was a very interesting conversation and while Napier
        >defended Miller, he didn't disparage vegetarians either.
        >
        >Jack Norris
        >Vegan Outreach
        >www.veganoutreach.org
        >

        > > Rob, it's a good point you make. It raises the interesting question of
        > > whether making some steps toward a more humane society (outrage over dog
        > > fighting) moves the ball in the right direction, or if it serves as a

        Don't get caught with egg on your face. Play Chicktionary!�
        http://club.live.com/chicktionary.aspx?icid=chick_hotmailtextlink2