Diabetic wants to become vegetarian.Help!!

  • trublueforever88
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 21, 2006
      Hello everybody i'm new to the group and I need help slowly
      becoming a vegetarian. I'm a diabetic and i have peanut butter/tree
      nut allergy.Where do i start? I'm interested in vegetarian meat
      alternatives like seitan,veggie BBQ ribs by Harvest Direct,Meatloaf by
      Dixie Diner.Has anybody tried these products and also tried a
      portabella sandwich?
      Is Traders Joe or Whole Food Market a good place to go vegetarian
      food shopping?
    • Jack Norris
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 21, 2006
        trublue,

        Here is an article that should be able to help you and lead you to other
        resources:

        http://www.vrg.org/journal/diabetes.htm

        > Is Traders Joe or Whole Food Market a good place to go vegetarian
        food shopping?

        Yes! The Sacramento Natural Foods Co-op at S and Alhambra is also a good
        place.

        Good luck,

        Jack Norris, Registered Dietitian
        Vegan Outreach
        www.veganoutreach.org

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 28, 2006
          If you're interested in a comprehensive introduction to how to eat healthfully and the health benefits of vegetarianism, the Coronary Health Improvement Project (CHIP) is a great program and you get nightly meals and tips on how to prepare them.  It's a four week class with a health screen (including blood test - glucose levels, cholesterol, triglycerides, etc.) at the beginning and end so that you can see what progress you've made.  They tell you how to eat healthfully without meat or dairy and give you tons of recipes - and the best part is they make you dinner for four nights a week!  I've attached a schedule for anyone interested.

          Lisa