Re: Adventure Prep Bluff, Sense Motive, MoveSilent checks

  • LordJulius42 <lordjulius42@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 1, 2003
      Balthazar is +0 Bluff, +3 Sense Motive and -8 Move Silent unless he
      dumps his armor in shich case he is +1. Also I may have a +0 Bluff
      but I do have a +6 Diplomacy. (Part of Balthazar's clerical duties
      include working as a marriage counselor.)

      Ron

      > In addition to the info there, I'd appreciate it if I could grab
      your skill
      > checks for Bluff, Sense Motive and Move Silently, as well.
    • Patrick Havert
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 1, 2003
        Augustus is -1 Bluff, +1 Sense Motive, +10 Move Silently
      • lordjulius42
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 17, 2003
          Rick,
          How goes the adventure building? Hopefully you're ready for us
          Friday. Is there anything in particular we should be planning for?

          Balthazar has made 4th level. I decided against the donating the cup
          to the church idea. The idea of incorporating Kalaan's cup into
          sacred Helius rituals seemed kind of wrong. Perhaps going on a quest
          to find some sort of Helius relics would be more appropriate.

          Balthazar is getting himself some new armor (+1 Plate and Shield) and
          since it looks like we'll be doing a lot of overland travel I decided
          it would be worth learning how to propperly ride a horse. I let some
          other skills lapse this level but I'll need to get some levels in
          Ride if I want to keep "Conflagration" under the saddle. Now that I
          think of it. "Faltherin. Arent't you calling your special
          warhorse? If you want to sell me your old Heavy Warhorse you won't
          have to feel like you abbandoned him. As long as you don't mind my
          renaming him Conflagration.") I checked into casting while riding and
          it is rather difficult but it will give me something to use my
          Concentation skills on.

          I'm looking forward to blazing a trail accross the coutryside
          tomorrow.

          Ron
        • Matt Harris
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 17, 2003
            There are a couple of people who have not updated the stat summary. Unless
            I have something incredibly wrong, Faltherin and Fher-Bron should both be
            4th level by now.

            If you haven't updated your character's stats, please do so now. Here is the
            url -

            http://www.launchpadzero.net/DND/party_list.php

            I will print out the latest list and bring it to the game tomorrow.

            For those of you who did update your stats, thanks!

            Matt
          • Spazweez
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 17, 2003
              By way of a similar FYI update on behalf of Varros:

              He has acquired the following items from the last adventure (paid out of his
              share):

              Heavy Flail (masterwork)
              Golembane Scarab (flesh)
              Large Steel Shield
              1 Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds

              Upon review of his dwindling finances, he has opted NOT to take the Light
              Flail (masterwork) from the spoils.

              In addition, he's bought some more rations and feed for his animals and
              replaced sundries like torches used to combat mummies. The mule is still
              called Stemple and the warhorse has finally been christened Samirath
              ("Lightning Hoof"). Sadly, he will not now be able to claim to have been
              through Ric's desert on a horse with no name.

              Finally, he's had his masterwork plate enchanted to +1 (1000 GP) and has
              purchased a Ring of Protection +1 (2000 GP), which pretty much wipes out his
              savings. But then again, saving for what?

              Our 3000 GP spending cap means it's impossible to ever enchant a weapon to
              +2 (costs 8000 GP outright or 6000 GP if the weapon is already +1) and armor
              can only be enchanted to +2 if it's first enchanted to +1 anyway (can't
              spend 4000 GP outright, but can spend 1000 GP and then upgrade for 3000 GP;
              out of respect for the spending cap, Varros figures to leave an adventure,
              or at least a session, between such upgrades). Besides, Varros' AC was
              being eclipsed in the party -- not a good thing for one of the tanks, he
              figured. So with no +2 weapon possible, he spent on defense. :)

              See y'all tomorrow night. :)

              - kw

              On 4/17/03 11:30 AM, "lordjulius42" <lordjulius42@...> wrote:

              > Rick,
              > How goes the adventure building? Hopefully you're ready for us
              > Friday. Is there anything in particular we should be planning for?
              >
              > Balthazar has made 4th level. I decided against the donating the cup
              > to the church idea. The idea of incorporating Kalaan's cup into
              > sacred Helius rituals seemed kind of wrong. Perhaps going on a quest
              > to find some sort of Helius relics would be more appropriate.
              >
              > Balthazar is getting himself some new armor (+1 Plate and Shield) and
              > since it looks like we'll be doing a lot of overland travel I decided
              > it would be worth learning how to propperly ride a horse. I let some
              > other skills lapse this level but I'll need to get some levels in
              > Ride if I want to keep "Conflagration" under the saddle. Now that I
              > think of it. "Faltherin. Arent't you calling your special
              > warhorse? If you want to sell me your old Heavy Warhorse you won't
              > have to feel like you abbandoned him. As long as you don't mind my
              > renaming him Conflagration.") I checked into casting while riding and
              > it is rather difficult but it will give me something to use my
              > Concentation skills on.
              >
              > I'm looking forward to blazing a trail accross the coutryside
              > tomorrow.
              >
              > Ron

              kev@... / Licensed to Think
              Universal Philosopher of Absolute Reality

              Why can I never set my heart on a
              possible thing?

              -- Therem Harth
              "The Left Hand of Darkness"
              Ursula K. Le Guin
            • Richard Tawney
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 17, 2003
                Message
                Adventure building goes fine. The first part of the adventure is finished. I am putting the final figures on non-player characters and monsters.

                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 17, 2003
                  Kevin,

                  I thought the spending limit was on the item not the amount, so spending
                  another 3000 to make armor +2 should not be possible.

                  Patrick

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  > kev@... / Licensed to Think
                  > Universal Philosopher of Absolute Reality
                  >
                  > Why can I never set my heart on a
                  > possible thing?
                  >
                  > -- Therem Harth
                  > "The Left Hand of Darkness"
                  > Ursula K. Le Guin

                • Anthony Rosten
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 17, 2003
                    Fher Bron's stats have been updated in the summary. Sorry for any
                    inconvenience.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 29, 2003
                      Yes I know my game is still a long ways off but I thought I'd give
                      you some time to plan.

                      We'll be going into some dangerous territory and I don't think Cedric
                      banging pots together is going to be enough to keep the horses safe.
                      We'll have to throw a few gold to some apprentice horse watchers.
                      Perhaps, even hire a few swordsmen to chase off the mountain lions
                      and scare away the bands of horse stealing orcs.

                      If anyone wants to make a first level character, who doesn't mind
                      watching horses, feel free. You'll get at least one encounter while
                      the big boys are busy dealing with the hordes of giants, demons, mind
                      flayers and dracoliches.

                      Ron
                    • Richard Tawney
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 29, 2003
                        Message
                        What, no Tarrasques!

                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 29, 2003
                          Message
                          I don't know who's next, but I fairly sure that the next session will wrap it up for mine (unless you guys can do some leap of faith stuff).

                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 29, 2003
                            As long as we're talking about ancillary characters who do more than scrub
                            pots and fill the feed bags, does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on
                            the Leadership feat outlined in the DMG? Or cohorts and comrades in
                            general?

                            I think squires and apprentices and younger relatives who've taken up
                            adventuring can be amusing, but it depends on the group vibe.

                            - kw

                            PS I can imagine one or two 1st lvl Warriors being employed as guards, but I
                            really hope we're not going to need another party just to watch the camp. :)

                            > Yes I know my game is still a long ways off but I thought I'd give
                            > you some time to plan.
                            >
                            > We'll be going into some dangerous territory and I don't think Cedric
                            > banging pots together is going to be enough to keep the horses safe.
                            > We'll have to throw a few gold to some apprentice horse watchers.
                            > Perhaps, even hire a few swordsmen to chase off the mountain lions
                            > and scare away the bands of horse stealing orcs.
                            >
                            > If anyone wants to make a first level character, who doesn't mind
                            > watching horses, feel free. You'll get at least one encounter while
                            > the big boys are busy dealing with the hordes of giants, demons, mind
                            > flayers and dracoliches.
                            >
                            > Ron

                            kev@... / Licensed to Think
                            Universal Philosopher of Absolute Reality

                            I am damn unsatisfied to be killed in
                            this way.

                            -- "Holy Weapon"
                          • Matt Harris
                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 29, 2003
                              No particular objection - I think Leadership is a fine feat.

                              Cohorts do increase bookkeeping and dilute the amount of XP gained as they
                              get a share. I don't want us to become a PC group of 7 with 35 attendants,
                              bodyguards etc...

                              Regarding guards for the camp - is this something we as characters would
                              know we need? Don't want to metagame anything.

                            • Spazweez
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 30, 2003
                                On 4/29/03 10:36 PM, "Matt Harris" <matt_j_harris@...> wrote:

                                > No particular objection - I think Leadership is a fine feat.
                                >
                                > Cohorts do increase bookkeeping and dilute the amount of XP gained as they
                                > get a share. I don't want us to become a PC group of 7 with 35 attendants,
                                > bodyguards etc...

                                Ditto. Although the layout of Leadership and the fact that you have to burn
                                a feat on it seem like they'd help to self-regulate.

                                > Regarding guards for the camp - is this something we as characters would
                                > know we need? Don't want to metagame anything.

                                Is it metagaming when the DM tells you to do it? ;) Seriously, I got the
                                impression that part of the hook and prelim info for the party would be some
                                kind of blanket warning that the area is treacherous. Or we could just go
                                in with Cedric on his own and then avenge his noble death and recover our
                                horses by obliterating the orcish horse thieves. Or we could preemptively
                                kill the orcish horse thieves. They're all cool by me... :)

                                - kw

                                I am not the weenie!
                                YOU are the weenie!

                                -- Guitierrez (Ricardo Montalban) from
                                "The Wrath of Guitierrez"
                                "Freakazoid"
                              • lordjulius42
                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 30, 2003
                                  I also am fine with Leadership. As long as no-one insists on
                                  bringing his enire entourage just because he has one. Of course if
                                  we ever wanted to get into some large scale combat it would be a good
                                  way to put together a small army.

                                  As far as my game is concerned the first level guys are strictly
                                  optional. If you see a need to hire some guards you can always find
                                  some npc types. But, if you're thinking of maybe wanting a break
                                  from your usual character in the future for any reason, this could be
                                  a chance to warm a replacement up.

                                  Ron

                                  --- In valley_area_gamers@yahoogroups.com, Spazweez <spazweez@e...>

                                • lordjulius42
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Apr 30, 2003
                                    I'm also fine with Leadership, as long as people don't see the need
                                    to bring theire entire entourage everywhere they go. Though, If we
                                    ever wanted to get into some large scale combat that would be a good
                                    way to put together a small army.

                                    As for my game the first level guys are strictly optional. If the
                                    party feels the need to hire some guards they could always grab some
                                    npc types. But, if anyone is considering runnning another character
                                    in the future for any reason this would be a good chance to warm one