4e

  • Rod Heather
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 10, 2008
      Has anyone tried 4e yet? If so, what thinks are thought?
    • Zack, James
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 11, 2008
        I have run 8 sessions with 4E.  I am really enjoying the game from the DM perspective (a bit more complex to run at lower levels but looks like it will be not more complex at level 30 than level 1).  From a player perspective, it's easy to see where those used to many many options available in 3.5 might not totally like it, and the simulationists who want a rule for everything won't be satisfied.

        It reminds me a lot of 1st edition D&D in terms of a sense of wonder... you never know exactly what might happen thanks to monster abilities and the effects of traps and terrain.

        The last comment I have is that developing adventures for 4E is about as easy as I can ever recall.  I converted a 3.5 adventure from an old Dungeon magazine in about an hour, including several traps and a skill challenge (an encounter where you use your skills rather than combat to resolve it).  You only need the PHB to play, the DMG and Monster Manual are good addtions if you are writing adventures, but not needed for play at the table.  This to me is a boon as I think about the stack of books I lug with me if I am DMing outside my house.

        Has anyone tried 4e yet? If so, what thinks are thought?