Perceived and Real drawback to the major core classes

  • Matt Harris
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 18, 2007
      Grabbed this off a thread at Enworld
      (http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=204449):
      -------------------
      The typically perceived drawback to the major core classes, and REAL
      drawback to each.

      BARBARIAN:
      * Perceived: A warrior who isn't skilled (lack of feats), and is lightly
      armored that deals and takes punishment.
      * Real: A guided missile on legs that if it doesn't kill the enemy, it will
      take enough damage that ending its rage will kill it.

      BARD:
      * Perceived: Jack of all trades, master of none.
      * Real: You guys do your things, I'll just stand in the shadows and help you
      look cool.

      CLERIC:
      * Perceived: Spells focused on defense, so that the cleric can buff and
      fight as needed.
      * Real: Ok, who needs healing THIS round?

      DRUID
      * Perceived: Awesome natural powers held back by neutral ethic and limited
      armor.
      * Real: Ok, who needs healing THIS round?

      FIGHTER:
      * Perceived: I'm the best pure warrior and tank, but I have no special
      features beyond feats.
      * Real: I'm out damaged by the bbn, out tanked by the paladin, and all I can
      do is roll to hit each round.

      Monk:
      * Perceived: I'm a lightly armed skirmisher capable of delivering terrible
      blows, but relatively easy to hit.
      * Real: Flurry of Misses

      Paladin:
      * Perceived: Holy knight bound by a moral code, but gets divine powers.
      * Real: I'm not sure my code will allow me to do this, so you better find
      some way of convincing/fooling me or do it without me.

      Ranger:
      * Perceived: Lightly armed skirmisher and survivalist who is not a front
      line fighter.
      * Real: Paint a bullseye on your chest, since light-armor + d8 equals easy
      target.

      Rogue:
      * Perceived; Not a great combatant nor a caster, but I got mad skillz!
      * Real: Another undead attack? I'll sit back here and watch guys.

      Sorcerer:
      * Perceived: I know few spells, but I can cast them all day long!
      * Real: No, I don't know that spell. Or that one. Or that one either.

      Wizard:
      * Perceived: I have fewer spells, but I can learn them all!
      * Real: No, I don't have that spell memorized. Or that one. Or that one
      either.

      Of course each class has a weak spot, but many of them AREN'T the ones the
      designer assumed they were...

      Matt Harris
      matt_j_harris@...
      www.launchpadzero.net
      ICQ: 1656005
    • thumper111169
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2007
        --- In valley_area_gamers@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Harris"
        <matt_j_harris@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > * Real: Paint a bullseye on your chest, since light-armor + d8
        equals easy
        > target.
        >
        > Rogue:
        > * Perceived; Not a great combatant nor a caster, but I got mad
        skillz!
        > * Real: Another undead attack? I'll sit back here and watch guys.
        >
        > Sorcerer:
        > * Perceived: I know few spells, but I can cast them all day long!
        > * Real: No, I don't know that spell. Or that one. Or that one
        either.

        > Wizard:
        > * Perceived: I have fewer spells, but I can learn them all!
        > * Real: No, I don't have that spell memorized. Or that one. Or that
        one
        > either.
        >
        > Of course each class has a weak spot, but many of them AREN'T the

        how is every thing going ?
        on that friday night game.... do you need another player?
        is there room?

        if so what time is it.. and where is it at? please let me know
      • Jamallo Kreen
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 2, 2007
          John W, I sent you an e-mail suggesting that you and David roll up a character for my game on Friday night, November 2.  Check with him, please, to see if he can do that for you.

          http://mail.yahoo.com

        • john woods
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 2, 2007
            i did call him  I will email you with what ever he wants to do or not do. tonight

            if you can't be a good example for others then you will just have to be a wornning to them...

            John W, I sent you an e-mail suggesting that you and David roll up a character for my game on Friday night, November 2.  Check with him, please, to see if he can do that for you.

            Do You Yahoo!?
            http://mail. yahoo.com

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • john woods
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 14, 2007
              lol

              that is why lot of  people  have CHR. that take two class's

              but i see what you are saying...lol