Re: Why there are so few D&D games in the Valley

  • Jamallo Kreen
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 1, 2006
      I said it before and I'll say it again: you ran a darned fine game,
      Matt, but I understand "burnout," and I sympathize with YOU, too.

      --- In valley_area_gamers@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Harris"
      <matt_j_harris@...> wrote:

> [...]
      Kreen
      > > Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 2:34 PM
      > > To: valley_area_gamers@yahoogroups.com
      > > Subject: [valley_area_gamers] Why there are so few D&D games in
      the
      > > Valley

      (snip)

      > I can definitely say that one of the major factors in my burnout
      was the
      > fact that players would simply not show up without communicating it
      in
      > advance. Even when they did communicate it, it was often very
      difficult to
      > work their characters absence into the game.
      >
      > My sympathies, Christian.
      >
      > Matt Harris
      > matt_j_harris@...
      > www.launchpadzero.net
      > ICQ: 1656005

    • Jamallo Kreen
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 1, 2006
        We're playing THIS Saturday, June 3rd, John, 1:00. Ask for a chair
        and it shall be made available unto you, yea even the "comfy chair"
        in the corner, or a dining room chair or director's chair or desk
        chair or (although I wouldn't suggest it!) a canvas sling chair. (I
        have vowed that this place WILL be cleaned up by Saturday, and I MEAN
        IT this time.)

        Playing at the dining room table is not good for me (too many books
        and papers need consulting), but I can make the small end table
        available to you if you want something steady and within arm's reach.

        And I *DO* sympathize with you about your car. The amazing wonder
        Ford (the one which waited until I was actually IN my parking space
        to die) has been out-of-order for over a year, and I *just* bought a
        recharger for the battery. It will be many months before it's fully
        healed and street-legal again.

        Do please post messages for me at my campaign's group page, John:
        the "owner," I receive each post as an e-mail within seconds of
        posting.

        I am also thinking about running a side trip into the Hyborian Age of
        the Conan RPG (Mongoose Publishing). Please consider whether you
        want to do that. It's "sword and sorcery," so it will be even
        grittier than the "low fantasy" I usually run.

        Last Saturday, Glyph and I called you and John G but neither of you
        answered, so I figured that you were both at the con. (There WAS one
        last weekend, wasn't there?)

        Oh well, Saturday, 1:00. See ya then.

        --- In valley_area_gamers@yahoogroups.com, john woods
        <thumper111169@...> wrote:

        > hi all
        >
        > let me say this.
        > 1.) my computer is a @$#&&%!&%#@^
        > i tried 7 times to reply to your email.. 2 1/2 hour later I gave
        up.. my system keeps locking up on me.. so this is not easy for me..
        the phone is the best for me...

        > 2.) I am right now at my systers home writing this and I can't
        use there computer any time I want to.. so my option are vary
        limited with the use of the computer.

        > 3.) I need to have a chair to sit in... sitting on the floor is
        really not good for me.
        > I like to be at a table sitting. that is why i asked if any one
        would like to play at my place.

        > 4.) on any week-end that is a family type of week-end like last
        week-end.. I will be with my family... my sister just had her first
        kid and I want to be thier for her.. and I have not been with my
        family on holidays in over 10 years so I really miss it and want to
        be with them....

        > 5.) I can't play every weekend.
        >
        > 6.) and sometimes things come up my car keep breaking down on me.
        yes it is a pain in the arsssss.. but I can't get a new one so I
        have to do the best I can with what I have.

        > now are we playing this weekend? sat or sun? my mom is out of
        town and I can use her van.. so there is a good chance I will be
        thier...

        > sorry if this email sound a bit .... in your face but my computer
        and car thing has got me pissed off.

        > Matt Harris <matt_j_harris@...> wrote:

        DMs
        > > get tired of investing a lot of energy into a campaign only to
        have
        > > all of the effort go for naught. Me? I'll run for one person if
        he
        > > or she shows up regularly, but it's getting very annoying to those
        > > who DO attend regularly when their characters are pointlessly
        > > sidetracked for the sake of people who don't show up or RSVP in
        > > advance that they aren't coming.
        > >
        > > No names mentioned, but at least one player has only one more "no
        > > show" before it's "three strikes, yer out." Word to the wise, et
        > > cetera, et cetera....
        >
        > I can definitely say that one of the major factors in my burnout
        was the
        > fact that players would simply not show up without communicating it
        in
        > advance. Even when they did communicate it, it was often very
        difficult to
        > work their characters absence into the game.
        >
        > My sympathies, Christian.
        >
        > Matt Harris
        > matt_j_harris@...
        > www.launchpadzero.net
        > ICQ: 1656005

      • john woods
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 2, 2006
          sat at 1:00 at your place. ...k  CU
          I will thank about that too.

          <thumper111169@...> wrote:

          > hi all
          >
          >   let me say this.
          >   1.) my computer is a @$#&&%!&%#@^
          >   i tried 7 times to reply to your email.. 2 1/2 hour later I gave
          up.. my system keeps locking up on me.. so this is not easy for me..
          the phone is the best  for me...

          >   2.) I am right now at my systers home writing this and I can't
          use there computer  any time I want to..  so my option are vary
          limited with  the use of the computer.

          >   3.) I need to have a chair to sit in... sitting on the floor is
          really  not good for me.
          >   I like to be at a table sitting.  that is why i asked if any one
          would like to play at my place.

          >   4.) on any week-end that is a family type of week-end  like last
          week-end.. I will be with my family... my sister  just had her first
          kid and I want to be thier for  her.. and I have not  been with my
          family on holidays in over 10 years so I really miss it and want to
          be with them....

          >   5.) I can't play every weekend.
          >
          >   6.) and sometimes things come up my car keep breaking down on me.
          yes it is a  pain in the arsssss.. but I can't get a new one so I
          have to do the best I can with what I have.

          >    now are we playing this weekend? sat or sun?  my mom is out of
          town and I can use her van.. so there is a good chance I will be
          thier...

          >   sorry if this email sound a bit .... in your face but my computer
          and car thing has got me pissed off.

          > Matt Harris <matt_j_harris@...> wrote:

          if you can't be a good example for others then you will just have to be a wornning to them...

        • john woods
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 2, 2006
            matt:
            we are so sorry.... we will not miss a game again.. if and when you want to restart your game..

            what ever happen to that new guy? the one that I met at the last con?

            would he like to play in chris's game?

> [...]

          • Matt Harris
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 2, 2006
              Rick?

              He showed for 2 games and then I killed the game - the day after he joined the group.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 4, 2006
                yeah rick.. have you talk with him?

                HEY RICK  you out their?

                say Hi

                wouls you like to be  in a dif. game ?

                <matt_j_harris@...> wrote:

> [...]

                Do you Yahoo!?

              • Matt Harris
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 5, 2006
                  He has unsubscribed, so he is not getting these messages.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 7, 2006
                    oh ok