Status of group

  • Matt Harris
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 4, 2004
      Greetings all - how is everyone? I am hoping y'all had a Merry Christmas
      (Kwanzaa, or whatever) and a Happy New Year. Just thought I'd check in and
      see what the status of the group is.

      IIRC, when last we spoke, we were planning to meet sometime after the first
      of the year to discuss our plan for the future. A couple of things I wanted
      to bring up:

      1) I am interested in running a campaign, but considering the prep time
      would only be able to run about 1x a month. It would be 3.0 migrating to 3.5
      as soon as I get the SRD appropriately formatted.

      2) I am slowly in the process (i.e. have barely gotten started) in
      converting the 3.5 System Resource Document into a useable format (Open
      Office & PDF) as I have no intention of shelling out the money for the books

      3) I have been contacted by a gentleman named Joe Vierra who has an interest
      in joining our group/or putting a group together. He will be joining our
      mailing list, so you all might want to say hi.

      4) Saw the Monster House makeover of Tony's place. It was wonderful - the
      expression on Tony's face when he first saw the place was priceless. ;-)

      Opinions - ideas - thoughts?

      Matt Harris
      matt_j_harris@...
      http://www.launchpadzero.net
      ICQ: 1656005
    • Kevin Walsh
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 8, 2004
        Hey, Matt and the gang --

        Let me echo Matt's holiday sentiments. Just got back from back East myself
        and am just now catching up on the email backlog.

        > 1) I am interested in running a campaign, but considering the prep time
        > would only be able to run about 1x a month. It would be 3.0 migrating to 3.5
        > as soon as I get the SRD appropriately formatted.

        Do you see this as a new, discrete campaign or as sort of the next iteration
        of the current "on hiatus" campaign? Or perhaps as a replacement for said
        campaign? As far as I'm concerned, they all seem equally viable (despite
        lingering personal issues with 3.5).

        In any event, once per month is an appealing schedule.

        > 3) I have been contacted by a gentleman named Joe Vierra who has an interest
        > in joining our group/or putting a group together. He will be joining our
        > mailing list, so you all might want to say hi.

        Hello to Joe. And while I'm at it, hello to Ken, as well. :)

        > 4) Saw the Monster House makeover of Tony's place. It was wonderful - the
        > expression on Tony's face when he first saw the place was priceless. ;-)

        Sadly, I missed the Tony 'n' Kim monster house broadcast (but ironically, it
        turns out one of my friends saw it and was most amused). :)

        > Opinions - ideas - thoughts?

        I think we can probably get our feet somewhat under us via email to get a
        general idea of what we're doing in the near future.

        - kw

        kev@... / Licensed to Think
        Universal Philosopher of Absolute Reality

        Painting is very easy when you don't know
        how, but very difficult when you do.

        -- Edgar Degas
      • Matt Harris
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 8, 2004
          Replying to Kevin's response:

          <snip>

          >> 1) I am interested in running a campaign, but considering the prep time
          >> would only be able to run about 1x a month. It would be 3.0 migrating to
          3.5
          >> as soon as I get the SRD appropriately formatted.

          > Do you see this as a new, discrete campaign or as sort of the next
          iteration
          > of the current "on hiatus" campaign? Or perhaps as a replacement for said
          > campaign? As far as I'm concerned, they all seem equally viable (despite
          >lingering personal issues with 3.5).

          As a new, discrete campaign in a new campaign world.

          >> 3) I have been contacted by a gentleman named Joe Vierra who has an
          interest
          >> in joining our group/or putting a group together. He will be joining our
          >> mailing list, so you all might want to say hi.

          > Hello to Joe. And while I'm at it, hello to Ken, as well. :)

          It doesn't look like Joe has subscribed to the list yet. My welcome to Ken
          as well.

          >> Opinions - ideas - thoughts?

          >I think we can probably get our feet somewhat under us via email to get a
          >general idea of what we're doing in the near future.

          Fair enough. I do prefer Friday evenings to Saturday but can do either.
          Would not prefer Sunday - I actually try and get some housework done on that
          day.
        • Richard Tawney
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 9, 2004
            Message
            Matt & Kevin,

            It looks as if the three of us need to talk about a little more than just Matt DMing one night a month. I do not know about you guys but I would like to play/dm every other weekend (Fri.,Sat., Sun.). Even if this means we are in two different campaigns with two different characters.

            When we were first organizing VAG, I brought up the idea that each dm/gm organize and run his own game. With the players running different PCs in each game. I would like to bring this point up again at this time. Hell, I'm even willing to agree that each gm organize a different genre/system so that we mix up the style of role playing.

            What say say you guys one this idea? Or would you rather have a meeting and talk about it over diner? Speaking of which, we need to decide when we are going to meet next (time, day, place, etc.)

            Let me know! I'm anxious to begin playing/GMing again.

            Ric
[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Matt Harris
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 10, 2004
              Message

              Kind of what I meant - I want to DM my campaign once a month (i.e. every other meeting) and then do something else (play in a different campaign) etc. on the other.

              PS - Anyone heard from Ron?

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 10, 2004
                northridge is a lot farther then I would want to drive. I am looking for
                somthing in the san Gabriel valley

                Joe Vierra
                Sanackranib@...

              • Richard Tawney
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 10, 2004
                  Message
                  Sorry to hear that Joe. We (the group) really need a couple of new players to replace ones who have left. I hope you have success in San Gabriel.

                  Ric

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 10, 2004
                    i have found 2 other guys and waiting to hear back from 2 more . . . . so
                    we'll see

                    Joe Vierra
                    Sanackranib@...

                    >From: "Richard Tawney" <rangerric@...>
                    >To: <valley_area_gamers@yahoogroups.com>
                    >Subject: RE: [valley_area_gamers] Status of group
                    >Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 13:56:24 -0800
                    >
                    >Sorry to hear that Joe. We (the group) really need a couple of new players
                    >to replace ones who have left. I hope you have success in San Gabriel.
                    >
                    >Ric

                    Scope out the new MSN Plus Internet Software � optimizes dial-up to the max!
                  • Matt Harris
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 10, 2004
                      Message
                      I personally would prefer something a little more central than Northridge or San Gabriel.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 10, 2004
                        I like the dual-campaign idea in principle. My only issue is that I'm not
                        100% on my ability to commit to a bi-weekly schedule.

                        If we're able to attain a critical mass of players, then hopefully the group
                        will be able to absorb the occasional absence.

                        As to the "where" of it all, my preference is the Burbank/NoHo area, but it
                        is a weak preference and after Tony's place, I'm game for most commutes.

                        - kw

                        Suck the coffin mushroom now.

                        -- "The Ultimate Vampire"
                      • Richard Tawney
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 10, 2004
                          Message
                          I don't mind commuting a little if the game is going to be more than once a month. Once a month for me is not worth my commute. Basically it boils down to "Does someone have a place in mind?"; their apartment, condo, house, meeting hall, etc.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 11, 2004
                            Message
                            We could use my place (North Hollywood) - I definitely have the room.  Just 3 caveats:

                            1) I have no chairs to spare, so it would be floor sitting.

                            2) There is no street parking right next to my place (it is always filled up), so it could be a little walk.  Worse case - there is a 7-11 around the corner which has tons of parking.

                            3) I have about 2 weeks worth of cleaning to do before I will have anyone over.  Lately the roaches have gone on strike, protesting "unfair living conditions" and Pig Weekly voted my place "Sty of the Year"  ;-)

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 12, 2004
                              Message
                              Well guys,

                              What do we want to do?

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 12, 2004
                                Message
                                Well - I would like to hear from Ron ....

                                If we decide to use my place, it couldn't be until next weekend.