Re: [vacuumcoffeepotcollector] Yerba Mate

  • RICHARD HARVEY
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 15, 2006
      Thanks Larry for the info on "boiling". Happy to know I'm not boiling it. I do know that if I leave the pot on low with the tea in it, it starts to get a little "cooked"....I just bought a Knapp on Ebay and haven't used it yet. Yes I saw some of the photos of the glass pots and there are some real beauties. I do want to try a glass pot. I understand that all the Royal families use glass, so I guess there must be something to it....And if it's good enough for them, well,,,,,,,,so I'll get one soon. I do love those beautiful Ruby glass pots.....Mary

      Larry Hollenberg <larryhollenb@...> wrote:
      Mary,

      I believe what your equating with boiling is acutally
      the air coming up from the lower pot that makes the
      water, "boil". If you measure the temperature it it
      below boiling. One think thats some peoples opinion
      is that the sunbeam used a very hot burner, 1200 watts
      and it is said to cause a slight scorch to coffee when
      it drops back down into the bottom pot, which in the
      sunbeam is empty of all water when its working. The
      knapp monarch and the cory automatics both use
      considerably less electric and not quite to hot, or as
      fast. The corys are sometimes touchy about the
      automatic thermostats and may not shut off soon
      enough, or too soon. But then so can the Sunbeams. I
      think I disposed of several of them for coming up and
      then stopping without brewing. That would be one
      reason to have a manual glass model, you control the
      heat. You can add hot water at the start to the lower
      pot if it wants to raise to quickly and leave you with
      tepid water, which sometimes happens depending on the
      pot, and burner temperature. The metal pots are
      particulary bad about that, but then you probably want
      to avoid them? Both cory and farberware made
      stainless steel manual pots. Glad your having fun,
      enjoy hearing about it.

      Larry

      Do You Yahoo!?
      http://mail. yahoo.com