Cloudy spots and cloth filters

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2006
      Dave is correct about the glass being etched. Whatever caused it,
      no amount of scrubbing, treating with chemicals, etc. will get rid
      of the cloudiness in the glass pots. (In fact, some of the treatments
      suggested may even make the problem worse!) Professional polishing of
      the glass would be the only solution and that's, of course, not
      practical on the inside of a coffee maker. Many glass collectors have
      tried just about everything to get rid of the cloudiness and there's
      really nothing you can do.

      Regarding cloth filters, we always wash the cloth filter in a baking
      soda solution--a teaspoon or two of baking soda in a cup of warm
      water--the mildly alkaline nature of baking soda neutralizes any acids
      retained in the filter), rinse thoroughly with clear water, and allow
      the filter to air dry. We use the filters repeatedly and do not detect
      any unpleasant taste in the brewed coffee.

      Ron
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2006
        Ron,

        Thanks for the tip on the Baking soda, I will give
        that a try. The glass pot seems to be impossible as
        you mention.

        Larry

        http://mail.yahoo.com