[vacpot] Re: What to do with a hard gasket

  • zyxy34
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 31, 2013
      The Dayseal site has gaskets for several wide-mouth pots,
      including Cory, Silex, Sunbeam, and the Coffee Robot 500.
      http://www.dayseal.com/services.html

      The site for the narrow-neck Silex is
      http://www.siliconegear.com/silex-small-mouth-gaskets.html

      I found the links on the baharris site.
      http://baharris.org/coffee/Links.htm

      Jenny

      --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hollenberg <larryhollenb@...> wrote:

      > Jenny,
      >
      > Thanks for that link. Frankly I was no up on the items they now made. To the best I recall it started with the narrow neck silex but that might have been a different source?  I think the owner was a member here and may still be. I am happy to see all the choices they now offer.. I might even want one my self.
      >
      > Let us know how it works out.
      >
      > Larry
      >

      > ________________________________

    • zyxy34
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 31, 2013
        The problem isn't that it falls off so much as that
        it's too dry to seal. It's not much like rubber at all.

        I ordered the gasket from Dayseal earlier today.

        Ehow claims you can restore old rubber using ammonia,
        glycerine, or lye.
        http://www.ehow.com/how_7593605_restore-natural-rubber-products.html

        Ammonia sounds stinky and lye sounds worse.
        I might try the glycerine treatment, though I don't
        have much hope for it. If I have any success with it,
        I'll let you know.

        Jenny

        --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hollenberg <larryhollenb@...> wrote:

        > Jenny,
        >
        > I should have mentioned on the silicone that I only put a few dabs of it a couple places and left it dry a 24 hour period. That way should you have to remove the seal it should be possible. If one were to glue the entire surface I doubt if you could get it to come loose without a lot of effort.
        >
        > My seal would work except that it always wanted to stay stuck in the lower container when I took off the top, but if its not sealing at all then it might be a different situation.
        >
        > And yes one of the messages did end up in spam, I think they have a lot of work to do to fix this mess, but I hope they will return to the old system.
        >
        > Larry
        >

        > ________________________________

      • zyxy34
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 3, 2013
          Hi all,

          So far I'm not having much luck with the glycerine method.
          The gasket seems a little softer on the outside layer,
          but inside it's still a brick.

          It looks like Yahoo is still putting some of my messages
          into the Spam folder.

          Jenny

          --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "zyxy34" <zyxy34@...> wrote:

          > The problem isn't that it falls off so much as that
          > it's too dry to seal. It's not much like rubber at all.
          >
          > I ordered the gasket from Dayseal earlier today.
          >
          > Ehow claims you can restore old rubber using ammonia,
          > glycerine, or lye.
          > http://www.ehow.com/how_7593605_restore-natural-rubber-products.html
          >
          > Ammonia sounds stinky and lye sounds worse.
          > I might try the glycerine treatment, though I don't
          > have much hope for it. If I have any success with it,
          > I'll let you know.
          >
          > Jenny
          >

          > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hollenberg <larryhollenb@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Jenny,
          > >
          > > I should have mentioned on the silicone that I only put a few dabs of it a couple places and left it dry a 24 hour period. That way should you have to remove the seal it should be possible. If one were to glue the entire surface I doubt if you could get it to come loose without a lot of effort.
          > >
          > > My seal would work except that it always wanted to stay stuck in the lower container when I took off the top, but if its not sealing at all then it might be a different situation.
          > >
          > > And yes one of the messages did end up in spam, I think they have a lot of work to do to fix this mess, but I hope they will return to the old system.
          > >
          > > Larry
          > >

          > > ________________________________

        • pawilh
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 5, 2013
            I've tried boiling a couple of hardened Nicro R101 gaskets I had, one to help deodorize it, with no luck in softnening either one of them. I did end up soaking one in some "sweet oil" for about 7-days with limited success. It seemed to stay soft for a few uses, then eventually turned hard again. (Sweet Oil is a pharmaceutical grade of olive oil, which can be found at any drug store in small quantities.)

            Best thing to do would be to buy a small tube of "food grade" RTV (do not use standard/hobby RTV) from eBay and coat the old seal with a very thin layer.

            The only concern in doing this though is that since the OEM seal has become hard you are going to be putting more stress on the glass at the joint when you connect the upper and lower together. The gasket was originally meant to give a bit--

            I have a small Duralux I purchased earlier this year which is borderline "unusable" due to the seal being very stiff. It softens up a bit if I run it under hot water before I connect the upper/lower, but I am likely going to have to try making a replacement for it, or just shelve it.

            Anyway, hope you find workable solution!

            Paul

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 5, 2013
              Paul,

              I used to find those Duralux pots to make very good coffee. However as you mentioned the seals which are sort of an odd shape and almost always hard, simply don't hold the seal.  It seemed like every time I would get the brew up to the agitating point it would turn loose the vacuum and the water would return to the lower pot.. If they would work right that sort of odd duckling looking pot would be a good one to have.

              I never found anything that really made the seals work once they were shot.

              Larry