Re: [vacpot] Re: Filtron cold water coffee extractor

  • Dave Bellware
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 1, 2013
      A laboratory approved by whom? SCAA does not use a Sensory Scale in its
      Gold Cup Standard, so any and all such references are irrelevant as far as
      meeting the Standard. The measurements made for Gold Cup relate solely to
      the amount of coffee extracted, from a mandated amount which you did not
      meet to begin with. I can extract the approved percentage using 90% less
      coffee, but I wouldn't like the taste of it. SCAA does not approve coffees,
      it approves preparation methods. I think the lab has hoodwinked somebody.

      Dave Bellware

    • Ian Bersten
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 2, 2013
        By the terms of my contract with the laboratory I am unable to name
        them. I will pass your comments to them to see if they can respond.

        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 2, 2013
          Here is a link to the SCAA Gold Standard certification, which you'll see
          contains zero references to sensory evaluation, and which contains the
          minimum and maximum amounts of coffee that are permitted. 35% less is well
          outside of what is permitted to qualify.

          http://www.scaa.org/PDF/2010/Golden%20Cup%20Informaton%20and%20Application_April2010_v2.pdf

        • Philip
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 2, 2013
            Well, this discussion has become a bit too lively I'm afraid. Time for a deep breath. Let's remember that we are all entitled to share our opinions and to differ on any topic, but we draw a line when ANY person's integrity is questioned. As a moderator I must insist that we all adhere to this policy.

            Dave, your views are most welcome in this group and your contributions are very much appreciated. That said, I hope you truly appreciate who Ian is, his impeccable credentials with regards to the subject of coffee and the brewing of coffee and his many years of kind assistance to all of us in this group. Google Ian if you need to. Ian's lifetime of achievements and international standing as a genuine authority on these subjects cannot be overstated. Most of all, Ian has a proven lifetime of personal and professional integrity which I must insist that you respect along with the integrity of all members of the group. Naturally all must respect your integrity as well. Ian has NEVER sought to sell anything to this group or even ask for the recognition he deserves. His humility in his posts is a matter of record you can look up for yourself in the archives.

            Feel free to carry on your discussion and be as passionate as you like about your view Dave, but please limit the discussion to the topic and not the participants.

            Thank you all for your participation in this group.

            Philip

            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 2, 2013
              Hello Ian

              Thank you for forwarding your inquiry, we are happy to help answer these
              questions.

              Our laboratory is certified by the Specialty Coffee Association of
              America as a teaching laboratory and confirmed to follow all SCAA
              standards and protocols. Our staff is made up of experienced and
              educated coffee industry professionals who each have earned coffee
              industry certifications and licenses. The laboratory does not certify
              products on behalf of the SCAA.

              The Golden Cup Standard, which is used by the SCAA to measure the brew
              solids and extraction percentages is a measurement calculated by the
              specific details and measurements of the water, coffee grind, dosage and
              brewing process. Golden Cups is a measured relationship between the
              coffee dosage, grind particle size, and water quantity producing a
              beverage between 18% and 22% extraction from the coffee and 1150 TDS to
              1350 TDS in the beverage. The recipe for brewing (brewing ration) is
              flexible and can be increased or decreased based on the brewing
              equipment or beverage preparation size.

              Sensory evaluations are not part of the SCAA Golden Cup Standards; these
              tests are independent and were conducted by a trained sensory panel.

              The report provided showed both the extraction details and sensory scores.

              The writer is correct that coffee items can be manipulated to perform
              well using Golden Cup Standards; however this does not mean that the
              coffee will be enjoyed for flavor and aroma attributes. This is the
              reason why both tests were completed.

              Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

              Spencer Turer

              Coffee Analysts

              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 4, 2013
                -- I would like to suggest that you all make a simple scientific experiment in your kitchen

                Grind some coffee coarsely
                Put the grounds into a large hole kitchen sieve and sift the smallest pieces out.
                Take an amount of the coarse grounds into a glass cup and pour boiling water over them. Leave for as long as you like.
                Sift out the wet grounds and put into another glass cup.
                Pour boling water over them and leave for hours, days or weeks.
                The result of the first brew will be a clear see through weak brew and the result of the second will be a clear straw coloured beverage proving that most of the extraction comes out in the first brew and hardly anything afterwards i.e. time is a minor factor.

                I did not bother to use cold water but the results will be mch weaker.

                For fun you should take the small particles and do the same experiment and compare.

                I am confident you will understand a lot more about coffee brewing.

                My thanks to Philip for his encouragement and supporting words.

[...]

                <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>, Dave Bellware