Re: [vacpot] Porcelain

  • pawilh
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 20, 2013
      I guess for producing tons of them Pyrex was probably a better choice of materials back in the day, but it's still odd that someone didn't make a few out of porcelain.

      I've only seen a few pics of the plastic funnel tops--if there was a stove-top safe Pyrex replacement carafe, say for a Mr. Coffee or similar, I'd bet someone could make a modern funnel top to fit it.

      --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hollenberg <larryhollenb@...> wrote:

      > Carol,
      >
      > The late versions of the vacuum pots came with a plastic type avocado upper bowl.
      >
      > Larry
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Roland
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 20, 2013
        If only Corning had made one of Pyroceram…

        Roland

        I guess for producing tons of them Pyrex was probably a better choice of
        materials back in the day, but it's still odd that someone didn't make a few
        out of porcelain.

        I've only seen a few pics of the plastic funnel tops--if there was a
        stove-top safe Pyrex replacement carafe, say for a Mr. Coffee or similar,
        I'd bet someone could make a modern funnel top to fit it.

        --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
        <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com> , Larry Hollenberg

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 20, 2013
          Seems like by the time most corning wear as the latter product was know vacuum coffee had hit the skids, so producing a pot for it might have been useless at the time. Besides I find that the corning pots stain terribly.

          <larryhollenb@...> wrote:

          > Carol,
          >
          > The late versions of the vacuum pots came with a plastic type avocado
          upper bowl.Â

          > Larry
          >

          > ________________________________

        • carol.vesperino
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 20, 2013
            Larry, then that's what I have. I even have the box, but it shows a glass
            top.
            Carol

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 20, 2013
              Broken or imperfect Pyrex could be melted down and remade. Porcelain
              couldn't. It was cheaper and easier.....at least that's what I think.
              Carol

              In a message dated 6/20/2013 1:12:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
              pawilh@... writes:

              I guess for producing tons of them Pyrex was probably a better choice of
              materials back in the day, but it's still odd that someone didn't make a few
              out of porcelain.

              I've only seen a few pics of the plastic funnel tops--if there was a
              stove-top safe Pyrex replacement carafe, say for a Mr. Coffee or similar, I'd
              bet someone could make a modern funnel top to fit it.

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • carol.vesperino
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 20, 2013
                Larry, Bleach added to soapy water and let it sit a few minutes.....I
                use it all the time in all my Corning ware, not just the coffee pots, of
                which I have quite a few.
                Carol

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 20, 2013
                  Its possible then that as you surmised the top might have broken an the owner opted for the vinyl top or perhaps they no longer made a glass top?  I have seen ads for the model with the plastic top and I also had a model with the box that showed the vinyl top.  There might be something in the photos section showing it?

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 20, 2013
                    Larry,
                    I bought it at the local thrift shop in the box for less than $10 and it
                    had new glass rods in the box inside as well as new cloth filters with the
                    spring holders.
                    Carol