Re: Gulmite Head Wrench

  • John A.
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2013
      No. The original Sunbeam tool was one piece and had a 90 degree bend so it could reach inside the pot to get at the handle screw. Those tools from your links are straight and for different size Gulmite screws. The Sunbeam Coffeemaster employed the use of #10 Gulmite screws to attach the top end of the handles to the upper and lower pots in models C30 & C30A. In models C30B & C30C, the handle on the lower pot is attached with a low-profile stainless steel hex head bolt -- low-profile so there is no interference with the rubber seal -- and it requires a 7/16" socket, but the upper handle still has the Gulmite fastener. The Gulmite system was invented in the 1930's by Arthur V. Gullborg, a Swedish inventor from Chicago. He must have been an associate and friend of Ivar Jepson, the Swedish head industrial engineer at Sunbeam, which is probably why the fasteners show up in the Toastmaster and the Coffeemaster. Some kind of Swedish cultural, technical cooperation deal is my guess. Anyway, I think the Gulmite screws go by head sizes in 32nds of an inch. So #10 Gulmite = 10/32", or 5/16" head size; #8 Gulmite = 8/32", or 1/4" head size; and so on. The socket David is offering would be an interesting and useful addition to the toolbox, but not something I would use very often. $50 is not an unfair price for custom work to make a tool nowadays, though. Thanks for the update.

      http://www.google.com/patents/US2103944?printsec=drawing&dq=2103944+gullborg#v=onepage&q&f=false

      John A.

      --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Helfrich" <bhelfric@...> wrote:

      > Are any of these the right size tool?
      >
      > http://www.edurepair.com/product_p/9030.htm
      >
      > http://www.deckerequipment.com/REPUBLIC-GULMITE-FASTENER-WRENCH/productinfo/LR606/
      >
      > http://www.ebay.com/itm/Maytag-38518-Gulmite-Wrench-Wringer-Washer-Power-Unit-Bolts-/140968791053?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d2650c0d
      >
      > http://www.chairglides.com/products//68692/BU-0118
      >

      > Brian

    • David Fiore
      Message 2 of 7 , May 4, 2013
        Yeah, I realize $50 is a lot for what is essentially a bit that goes on the
        end of a wratchet or shaft, but when you consider that it took him about 10
        hours to do each one, it's a bargain.

        Cheers,
        -dbf

      • Dave Bellware
        Message 3 of 7 , May 4, 2013
          I agree, but only if there was a more frequent need for it. Since the only
          need for the tool is replacement of the handle on an upper unit (which is
          the only location of the single Gulmite screw), I would: 1) get another
          upper unit or 2) remove the screw with a pair of needle-nosed pliers and
          deal with any scratching of the upper unit before replacing the screw with
          one that had a more conventional head or 3) send the upper unit to you and
          ask you to remove it for me.
          Dave B

        • Dave Bellware
          Message 4 of 7 , May 4, 2013
            Or: 4) remove the upper unit with a potholder.
            Dave B