Silex Semi Automatic Stove

  • Brian
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 26, 2013
      I just got a Silex Semi Automatic stove - Model SAB.

      So what makes it Semi Automatic? It has a toggle switch on the front to switch between high, off and low. It's more convenient that switching plug locations like the Cory stove I have, but automatic?

      Brian
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 26, 2013
        I think if you read some early silex instructions they suggested leaving the stoves on the burner after unplugging them and letting the coffee brew and return on its own.   The two speed stove is really nothing more than a way to flip the heat to a keep warm setting and allows the coffee to return on its own. Trouble is often the cycle is way longer than most people today seem to want their coffee to brew.  The name was a bit misleading and probably today couldn't be worded the way it was.

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 28, 2013
          6 inch water absorbent stringettes.

          The low setting of the Silex stove is controlled by a thermostat - if you
          turn it to the warm setting when the stove is cold the element lights up
          cherry red for a bit before it starts to cycle. As opposed to the Cory that
          uses a separate smaller element for the warm setting.

          When I tested the stove with an 8 cup Cory glass pot with water only (no
          coffee grounds), the water stayed in the top pot for 3 minutes after I
          switched to warm. I know that it would take longer if I used coffee.