RE: [vacpot] The 1930's Sunbeam Maxwelton Braes Pot

  • loupape
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 18, 2013
      Ive seen instructions for both. I have this with the basket, but my stove has a dial for the heat as opposed to the two prong system.  I think the first model came with the basket aroung 1934 or 35, then the vacuum top came around 36 or 37.  Here is a page regarding the latter.
      http://www.oldcoffeeroasters.com/sunbeam.htm

      Sent from Samsung tabletpawilh <pawilh@...> wrote:
      In regards to this pot, I've seen images of it both with a long-handled manual infuser, and with a vacuum siphon top-works.

      Looking at the directions for infuser model (link below) I have to ask if the vac pot components were a later add-on kit for the existing carafe, or if the vac pot was a separate model.

      http://www.oldcoffeeroasters.com/images/vac%20pots/Sunbeam/Braes.jpg

      Thanks--Paul

    • pawilh
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 20, 2013
        Lou-

        Appreciate the info, thank you. One last question: Do you know if the same base/pot was used in all of the variations? Meaning it was offered as a server, coffee/tea brewer via infuser basket, and then as a vacpot. Were there any manufacturing differences in the bases/pots, like height, or cutouts on the lid that you're aware of?

        Reason I ask is that I periodically see the servers and infuser models, but rarely the vacpot. It would be nice to have one of the latter, and I'm not adverse to assembling one out of parts as I find them. If the bases are all identical then at least I have a good starting point--

        Thanks--Paul

        --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, loupape <loupape@...> wrote:

        > Ive seen instructions for both. I have this with the basket, but my stove has a dial for the heat as opposed to the two prong system.  I think the first model came with the basket aroung 1934 or 35, then the vacuum top came around 36 or 37.  Here is a page regarding the latter.
        > http://www.oldcoffeeroasters.com/sunbeam.htm
        >

        > Sent from Samsung tabletpawilh <pawilh@...> wrote:
        > In regards to this pot, I've seen images of it both with a long-handled manual infuser, and with a vacuum siphon top-works.
        >
        > Looking at the directions for infuser model (link below) I have to ask if the vac pot components were a later add-on kit for the existing carafe, or if the vac pot was a separate model.
        >
        > http://www.oldcoffeeroasters.com/images/vac%20pots/Sunbeam/Braes.jpg
        >
        > Thanks--Paul

      • loupape
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 21, 2013
          Paul,
          I don't think they differed in size and shape, but I have seen on the carafe and creamer the 'sunbeam' stamp on either the bottom or the lid. Also, if you find one missing the stripes you can purchase pintstriping from an auto paint store that will fit the grooves. I have only seen the one vac pot that someone referenced on here. Therenis a carafe on ebay right now with a diffuser http://www.ebay.com/itm/360634371889?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648
          Keep us posted as to what you find.
          Lou

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 21, 2013
            The Carafe has at least two variations.  One has around a quarter inch thick bottom, the other is much lighter with only the metal skin like the sides for the bottom..  I was only guessing but two things seemed possible. One is that the one without the extra weight is somewhat "tipsy" when empty for sure.  The other is that perhaps the models for use on the adjustable heat burner were made thinner to heat quicker and they didn't need the bulk to help keep the coffee warm.

            If anyone has the precise reasons for those variations I would be interested to know.

            Something else I ran into with them is that when they are used for a bit they tended to get an odor to the metal that tainted the coffee. I don't know what that was about but no matter if you dried them well, soaked them in baking soda water or stored the parts separately they still tended to develop that odd smell.

            I don't think they differed in size and shape, but I have seen on the carafe and creamer the 'sunbeam' stamp on either the bottom or the lid. Also, if you find one missing the stripes you can purchase pintstriping from an auto paint store that will fit the grooves. I have only seen the one vac pot that someone referenced on here. Therenis a carafe on ebay right now with a diffuser http://www.ebay.com/itm/360634371889?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648
            Keep us posted as to what you find.
            Lou

            Sent from Samsung tabletpawilh <pawilh@...> wrote:
            Lou-

            Appreciate the info, thank you. One last question: Do you know if the same base/pot was used in all of the variations? Meaning it was offered as a server, coffee/tea brewer via infuser basket, and then as a vacpot. Were there any manufacturing differences in the bases/pots, like height, or cutouts on the lid that you're aware of?

            Reason I ask is that I periodically see the servers and infuser models, but rarely the vacpot. It would be nice to have one of the latter, and I'm not adverse to assembling one out of parts as I find them. If the bases are all identical then at least I have a good starting point--

            Thanks--Paul

            --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, loupape <loupape@...> wrote:

            > Ive seen instructions for both. I have this with the basket, but my stove has a dial for the heat as opposed to the two prong system.  I think the first model came with the basket aroung 1934 or 35, then the vacuum top came around 36 or 37.  Here is a page regarding the latter.
            > http://www.oldcoffeeroasters.com/sunbeam.htm
            >

            > Sent from Samsung tabletpawilh <pawilh@...> wrote:
            > In regards to this pot, I've seen images of it both with a long-handled manual infuser, and with a vacuum siphon top-works.
            >
            > Looking at the directions for infuser model (link below) I have to ask if the vac pot components were a later add-on kit for the existing carafe, or if the vac pot was a separate model.
            >
            > http://www.oldcoffeeroasters.com/images/vac%20pots/Sunbeam/Braes.jpg
            >
            > Thanks--Paul

          • pawilh
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 21, 2013
              That's interesting you mention that--I'm now thinking that the heavier/thicker-bottomed bases were made specifically for the vacpot variation, so as to offset the weight of the topworks being full of water during the brewing cycle. Hmmm--

              Also checked out the infuser model on eBay. Hard to tell by the pictures the seller posted, and it's been awhile since I've seen one, but I'm thinking the lid was notched for the handle.

              Will have to keep looking. Thanks for the info!

              Paul