Re: [vacpot] Sunbeam C30C use Filter or no?

  • Dave Bellware
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2013
      The C30C was designed with the permanent metal filter only, not with a
      cloth filter.
      I can imagine the C30C behaving differently if hot water was used, due
      to the heating element getting up to its cut-off temperature so much faster.
      There is C30C repair manual in the files section. It explains how the
      pot works and shows the parts.
      Dave B

      On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 6:28 PM, Zack <zack832@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I've been playing with my C30c for a few days now with mixed results. One
      > question I have is since it has the two stage filer, the perforated metal
      > cap that drops down over the fine mesh screen, does it need a cloth or
      > paper filter too?
      >
      > The unit cam with a cloth-like filter between the two metal pieces, is it
      > supposed to be there? I tried a pot of coffee without it and I think it
      > performed and tasted better. When it was time to release the coffee from
      > the top pot, it went down much quicker also did not have the burned taste
      > the first few pots I made had. I have not found any use directions
      > pertaining to only the C30C units online, all seem to be for the C30a.
      >
      > This has got to be one of the fastest coffeemakers I've ever seen. 4-5
      > minutes to get the water into the upper pot, about 2 minutes sitting there,
      > and then a fairly speedy return to the base, maybe 8 minutes total for a
      > full pot. That brings up another question, fill with hot or cold water? In
      > my drip pots I always use cold water, but in this case I see no downside to
      > starting with hot. True?

    • Phil Warner
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2013
        “...since it has the two stage filer, the perforated metal cap that drops down over the fine mesh screen, does it need a cloth or paper filter too?”

        My understanding is that the metal cup is there to cause a swirling action as the coffee is drawn down to the lower chamber; I suppose it could be considered a filter for very course grinds, but I read in some early Sunbeam lit that the main function was to “stir” the coffee as it was drawn down. I don’t believe a paper filter is either necessary or desirable when you have the mesh filter that replaced the earlier cloth/paper ones.

        I bet some of the experts here can shed more light on the subject, though.

        Cheers, Phil Warner

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2013
          You don't have to use a filter paper or cloth if you have the fine mesh screen.. Some people prefer their coffee filtered and some don't.. Its a matter of taste if you have the choice.