Sunbeam C30C use Filter or no?

  • Zack
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2013
      I've been playing with my C30c for a few days now with mixed results. One question I have is since it has the two stage filer, the perforated metal cap that drops down over the fine mesh screen, does it need a cloth or paper filter too?

      The unit cam with a cloth-like filter between the two metal pieces, is it supposed to be there? I tried a pot of coffee without it and I think it performed and tasted better. When it was time to release the coffee from the top pot, it went down much quicker also did not have the burned taste the first few pots I made had. I have not found any use directions pertaining to only the C30C units online, all seem to be for the C30a.

      This has got to be one of the fastest coffeemakers I've ever seen. 4-5 minutes to get the water into the upper pot, about 2 minutes sitting there, and then a fairly speedy return to the base, maybe 8 minutes total for a full pot. That brings up another question, fill with hot or cold water? In my drip pots I always use cold water, but in this case I see no downside to starting with hot. True?
    • Dave Bellware
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 3, 2013
        The C30C was designed with the permanent metal filter only, not with a
        cloth filter.
        I can imagine the C30C behaving differently if hot water was used, due
        to the heating element getting up to its cut-off temperature so much faster.
        There is C30C repair manual in the files section. It explains how the
        pot works and shows the parts.
        Dave B

        On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 6:28 PM, Zack <zack832@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > I've been playing with my C30c for a few days now with mixed results. One
        > question I have is since it has the two stage filer, the perforated metal
        > cap that drops down over the fine mesh screen, does it need a cloth or
        > paper filter too?
        >
        > The unit cam with a cloth-like filter between the two metal pieces, is it
        > supposed to be there? I tried a pot of coffee without it and I think it
        > performed and tasted better. When it was time to release the coffee from
        > the top pot, it went down much quicker also did not have the burned taste
        > the first few pots I made had. I have not found any use directions
        > pertaining to only the C30C units online, all seem to be for the C30a.
        >
        > This has got to be one of the fastest coffeemakers I've ever seen. 4-5
        > minutes to get the water into the upper pot, about 2 minutes sitting there,
        > and then a fairly speedy return to the base, maybe 8 minutes total for a
        > full pot. That brings up another question, fill with hot or cold water? In
        > my drip pots I always use cold water, but in this case I see no downside to
        > starting with hot. True?

      • Phil Warner
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 3, 2013
          “...since it has the two stage filer, the perforated metal cap that drops down over the fine mesh screen, does it need a cloth or paper filter too?”

          My understanding is that the metal cup is there to cause a swirling action as the coffee is drawn down to the lower chamber; I suppose it could be considered a filter for very course grinds, but I read in some early Sunbeam lit that the main function was to “stir” the coffee as it was drawn down. I don’t believe a paper filter is either necessary or desirable when you have the mesh filter that replaced the earlier cloth/paper ones.

          I bet some of the experts here can shed more light on the subject, though.

          Cheers, Phil Warner

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3, 2013
            You don't have to use a filter paper or cloth if you have the fine mesh screen.. Some people prefer their coffee filtered and some don't.. Its a matter of taste if you have the choice.