Re: [vacpot] scalding pots

  • carol.vesperino
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1, 2013
      Larry,
      I always use coarser ground for perked coffee. The fine stuff is for
      drip makers. The local store where they have a commercial grinding machine
      has the grinding chart on it, and it says drip is finer than perked. I
      would imagine that boiled coffee would use the most coarse setting to avoid
      powerdery sludge. You used to be able to buy perked grind VS drip grind, but
      now everything is fine grind. That's why I grind my own --- awful taste when
      perked if you use store-bought ground coffee.
      Carol

      In a message dated 4/1/2013 4:55:38 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      larryhollenb@... writes:

      Roland got me to searching the internet.. The Word in Context site has the
      the first listed use as "For a quart of coffee allow four heaping
      tablespoons of coffee when ground. Scald the coffee-pot, mix the ground coffee with
      a little cold water and two or three egg-shells, which can be dried an
      kept for this purpose. Part of the fresh with the shell is still better. Put
      into the hot coffee-pot, and pour on one quart of boiling water..

      This quote is from Helen Campbell, "The easiest way in housekeeping and
      cooking adapted to domestic use".

      As a side note the CoffeeCafe site says to never use boiling water in
      coffee pots but to let it come off the boil as too hot a water will cause
      "scalding of the coffee". This site suggest for a coarse ground or medium grind
      which is suggested for infused boiled coffee be let to steep from 8 to 10
      minutes which is more in line with the old cookbooks I once had.

      The suggested recipe above is a variation of which there are many, I had
      not seen it suggested to add the cold water to the grounds before adding the
      hot water, the ones I am familiar with usually say pour the cold water in
      after the 30 second boil.

      Coffee brewing is so interesting and fun to explore.

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 3, 2013
        Looking at necessity and the evolution of technology, it strikes me that siphon/vac pots are the next step up from the scalding technique--

        Paul