Re: [vacpot] Random thoughts on coffee pots.

    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 30, 2013
      Try Percolator Spout tube Brush on ebay.  There is a new one on that site that is the small type for the stems.

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 31, 2013
        There is also a fold-over paper insert specifically for percolator filter
        baskets It's not the same as the little disk filter that sits at the
        bottom. It is like a square napkin with a hole in the center that goes over
        the pump stem, then each of the 4 corners has a hole so you can fold them
        over and seal it. You may have to look around to find them but grocers
        often carry them, or you can get them online.

        Roland

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 31, 2013
          I've never heard about scalding cookware before use, but I have seen some factory instructions for aluminum-ware recommending a similar procedure to remove any cutting oils that might have been splashed onto it during the manufacturing process. Have not seen it as part of a recipe--

          What kind of cookware was used during the 1800's? I'm thinking mainly cast iron? Maybe the scalding was to clean out the remnants of the last food cooked in there before you made the coffee. Old timers/purists claim you don't need to wash it very often once it's seasoned, just brush out the crumbs and such.

          And I can confirm the paper perc filters, I have some here made by Melitta. They are square in shape with five pre-punched holes. They insert onto the stem in the perc basket, coffee is loaded, and then the flaps fold over and also attach to the stem before the top is put on.

          Still looking at grinders btw--

          Happy Easter.

          Paul

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 31, 2013
            I am considering a better grinder and I recall some discussions around a Meistro or something like that.. Is that still the best mid range grinder?

            I ended up having a issue that heavily suggest that I not drink much regular coffee, ( or they would prefer none) but I am hanging on to using 80% decaf beans to 20% regular which seems to not be effecting me negatively.

            I've never heard about scalding cookware before use, but I have seen some factory instructions for aluminum-ware recommending a similar procedure to remove any cutting oils that might have been splashed onto it during the manufacturing process. Have not seen it as part of a recipe--

            What kind of cookware was used during the 1800's? I'm thinking mainly cast iron? Maybe the scalding was to clean out the remnants of the last food cooked in there before you made the coffee. Old timers/purists claim you don't need to wash it very often once it's seasoned, just brush out the crumbs and such.

            And I can confirm the paper perc filters, I have some here made by Melitta. They are square in shape with five pre-punched holes. They insert onto the stem in the perc basket, coffee is loaded, and then the flaps fold over and also attach to the stem before the top is put on.

            Still looking at grinders btw--

            Happy Easter.

            Paul

            --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "larry h" <larryhollenb@...> wrote:

            > One thing I have wondered when reading many old cooking suggestions for coffee is to "Scald" the pot before pouring in the water.. What do you think that accomplishes? Does it perhaps eliminate the metallic taste that aluminum pots can have if not used regularly?
            >
            > The other thought is more of a tip.. In using various kinds of coffee makers I not having a running water system have always hated removing the grounds from coffee makers of various types. The deep recesses of the drip pots that don't use a separate basket under the water container are among the ones I fought with to remove grounds. Even the perk baskets can be a pain to remove grounds from without making a mess. What I finally hit on was when I got a small 5 quart pail with a handle. Now I simply add water about two thirds deep and drip the coffee maker parts with most of the grounds dumped out on some newspaper into it and a few simple twist around in the water an the grounds come quickly out without much fuss. I then toss the water and grounds on the grass or flower beds.
            >
            > Hope everyone has a great easter weekend.

          • iwillie_512
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 31, 2013
              Hey Larry!

              I've been using a Capresso Infinity conical burr grinder (Mod #560) for about 6 years now and it is absolutely great! I brush it out occasionally and have had zero problems. It was less than $100 back then.

              dave k

              --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hollenberg <larryhollenb@...> wrote:

              > I am considering a better grinder and I recall some discussions around a Meistro or something like that.. Is that still the best mid range grinder?
              >
              > I ended up having a issue that heavily suggest that I not drink much regular coffee, ( or they would prefer none) but I am hanging on to using 80% decaf beans to 20% regular which seems to not be effecting me negatively.
              >
              > Larry

            • Dave Bellware
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 31, 2013
                Baratza addressed a couple of issues, and ignored a couple of others, when
                they replaced their Maestro coffee grinder with the Encore, about a year
                ago.

                Many people say that the Encore is the lowest priced electric grinder that
                it capable of an even grind over a wide range of grind levels. I certainly
                noticed a huge difference in taste, due to improvement of grind
                consistency, in my drip-brewed and vacuum-brewed coffee once I got my
                Encore. The reason that the Encore does not produce fines, the powder that
                accompanies grinding done with less capable grinders, is because the burrs
                and mechanism are of sufficient quality to shave, rather than crush, the
                coffee beans.

                For true espresso made with non-pressurized portafilter espresso machines,
                the Encore cannot produce the very fine necessary grind according to most
                of those who make such espresso regularly, but it's significantly lower in
                price than those electric grinders that are agreed to be truly
                espresso-capable.

                It's hard to find the Encore for any more, or for any less, than $129, but
                free shipping is available from many sellers.

                My only personal experiences are with a Mr Coffee burr grinder which I
                replaced with an Encore almost a year ago. The difference is enormous.

                Dave Bellware

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 31, 2013
                  Dave,

                  Thanks that is the one I recall now that I see the name..  I too purchased the Mr. Coffee due to its low end price and didn't read the reviews on it.. I don't mind the grind do much as I do the total mess it makes due to the awful lid full of traps and made of vinyl.  I always have a mess to clean up when I use it.. Yes too the grind is surely not consistent by any means either but I am not quite to picky about that as some. But I do appreciate a decent design and recalled that one was not so prone to issues like the Mr. Coffee.

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 31, 2013
                    I also have heard good things about the Capresso Infinity and I believe
                    it's still under $100.

                    Larry: If neatness is a bigger priority than grind quality, I can't
                    recommend the Encore. No matter what you do, there are going to be grinds
                    that remain in the chute with each use. They will, I guarantee, fall out
                    into the base and onto your counter once you remove the plastic grounds
                    container. It makes a bit of a mess.

                    Another Encore user said he was able to greatly alleviate that problem by
                    folding a strip of aluminum foil all around the opening of the grounds
                    container. I haven't tried that yet but I'm about to.

                    Dave Bellware

                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 31, 2013
                      Thanks for that tip Dave, it would appear to be a rather common problem with a grinder. Our old wall grinder will hang onto some grounds and drop them if you bump the glass against the bottom when removing it.  The big problem with the Mr. Coffee is the side exit which throws a big build up of very fine grinds against the plastic container an all over the inside of the removable top which as I mentioned has a lot of design parts that cause it to hold the finer grinds and  they always want to go everywhere in simply removing the top.

                      Maybe someone has a design that works well but is not so prone to making messes?

                      I also have heard good things about the Capresso Infinity and I believe
                      it's still under $100.

                      Larry: If neatness is a bigger priority than grind quality, I can't
                      recommend the Encore. No matter what you do, there are going to be grinds
                      that remain in the chute with each use. They will, I guarantee, fall out
                      into the base and onto your counter once you remove the plastic grounds
                      container. It makes a bit of a mess.

                      Another Encore user said he was able to greatly alleviate that problem by
                      folding a strip of aluminum foil all around the opening of the grounds
                      container. I haven't tried that yet but I'm about to.

                      Dave Bellware

                      On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 5:18 PM, iwillie_512 <kast.iron@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > Hey Larry!
                      >
                      > I've been using a Capresso Infinity conical burr grinder (Mod #560) for
                      > about 6 years now and it is absolutely great! I brush it out occasionally
                      > and have had zero problems. It was less than $100 back then.
                      >
                      > dave k
                      >
                      > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hollenberg
                      > <larryhollenb@...> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > I am considering a better grinder and I recall some discussions around a
                      > Meistro or something like that.. Is that still the best mid range grinder?Â
                      > >
                      > > I ended up having a issue that heavily suggest that I not drink much
                      > regular coffee, ( or they would prefer none) but I am hanging on to using
                      > 80% decaf beans to 20% regular which seems to not be effecting me
                      > negatively.Â

                    • Ken Sann
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 31, 2013
                        Until recently I worked in the commercial coffee brewer industry, and we
                        found that this was actually caused by static electricity created when the
                        motors were running.
                        Not and easy problem to solve on the consumer end.
                        Use a small brush often.

                        ken

                        Ken Sann

                        On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Larry Hollenberg <larryhollenb@...>wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > Thanks for that tip Dave, it would appear to be a rather common problem
                        > with a grinder. Our old wall grinder will hang onto some grounds and drop
                        > them if you bump the glass against the bottom when removing it. The big
                        > problem with the Mr. Coffee is the side exit which throws a big build up of
                        > very fine grinds against the plastic container an all over the inside of
                        > the removable top which as I mentioned has a lot of design parts that cause
                        > it to hold the finer grinds and they always want to go everywhere in
                        > simply removing the top.
                        >
                        > Maybe someone has a design that works well but is not so prone to making
                        > messes?
                        >
                        > Larry,_._,___

                      • carol.vesperino
                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 1, 2013
                          Roland,
                          I used to buy those, but I get the large basket filters free from
                          work every time they change the style. Right now I have 4 large bags of them
                          here and it seems they will last quite some time. Free is always good and
                          they would throw the old style out.
                          Carol

                          Message 12 of 19 , Apr 1, 2013
                            Larry,
                            They look like the brushes in my gun cleaning kit. Maybe I should try
                            one of the smaller calibers to see if it'll work.
                            Carol

                            Message 13 of 19 , Apr 1, 2013
                              I did a little googling. It may be that scalding was merely to bring the pot
                              up to temperature before actually doing the cooking.

                              Roland

                              Message 14 of 19 , Apr 1, 2013
                                There was also copper and tinware. If I'm not mistaken, the word "tinker"
                                comes from this.

                                Roland

[...]

                                <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com> , "larry h"