Re: [vacpot] Random thoughts on coffee pots.

  • Dave Leonard
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 30, 2013
      Excellent idea, Larry!

      Dave in Michigan

      ________________________________
      From: larry h <larryhollenb@...>
      To: vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, March 30, 2013 11:42 AM
      Subject: [vacpot] Random thoughts on coffee pots.

      One thing I have wondered when reading many old cooking suggestions for coffee is to "Scald" the pot before pouring in the water.. What do you think that accomplishes? Does it perhaps eliminate the metallic taste that aluminum pots can have if not used regularly?

      The other thought is more of a tip.. In using various kinds of coffee makers I not having a running water system have always hated removing the grounds from coffee makers of various types. The deep recesses of the drip pots that don't use a separate basket under the water container are among the ones I fought with to remove grounds. Even the perk baskets can be a pain to remove grounds from without making a mess. What I finally hit on was when I got a small 5 quart pail with a handle. Now I simply add water about two thirds deep and drip the coffee maker parts with most of the grounds dumped out on some newspaper into it and a few simple twist around in the water an the grounds come quickly out without much fuss. I then toss the water and grounds on the grass or flower beds.

      Hope everyone has a great easter weekend.

    • carol.vesperino
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 30, 2013
        I use a dish brush on my perc baskets. They used to make brushes to clean
        the inside of the stems, but no more. If you use large filters and fold the
        edges over the top before brewing, the whole thing comes out in the trash
        with a snap of the wrist. I cut a hole in the center for the stem, put in my
        coffee, fold the top edges over, put on the metal grid and make coffee. It
        keeps the grounds from going everywhere, not like the small circular disc
        filters that just sit in the bottom of the basket.

        Happy Easter!!!!!
        Carol

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 30, 2013
          Carol,

          I think if you look around you can find a coffee stem brush. I have one an I know others that have them.. You might try Ebay an see if someone has them listed or a coffee speciality dealer.  And its possible they don't call them coffee pot brushes.. any very short bristle brush will work as well as Pipe cleaners if they are doubled up and inserted in the stems..

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 30, 2013
            Larry,
            Now I use chopsticks to clean the stems. The pipe cleaners I use for
            the stems on my old pressure cookers. Old shoe laces work if you can thread
            them, too, but they are a PAIN.
            My perc pots are all Corning in various sizes, with metal baskets,
            lids and stems. No electric, though, just stove top models.
            Carol

            In a message dated 3/30/2013 9:51:14 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            larryhollenb@... writes:

            Carol,

            I think if you look around you can find a coffee stem brush. I have one an
            I know others that have them.. You might try Ebay an see if someone has
            them listed or a coffee speciality dealer. And its possible they don't call
            them coffee pot brushes.. any very short bristle brush will work as well as
            Pipe cleaners if they are doubled up and inserted in the stems..

            Larry

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 30, 2013
              Try Percolator Spout tube Brush on ebay.  There is a new one on that site that is the small type for the stems.

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 31, 2013
                There is also a fold-over paper insert specifically for percolator filter
                baskets It's not the same as the little disk filter that sits at the
                bottom. It is like a square napkin with a hole in the center that goes over
                the pump stem, then each of the 4 corners has a hole so you can fold them
                over and seal it. You may have to look around to find them but grocers
                often carry them, or you can get them online.

                Roland

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 31, 2013
                  I've never heard about scalding cookware before use, but I have seen some factory instructions for aluminum-ware recommending a similar procedure to remove any cutting oils that might have been splashed onto it during the manufacturing process. Have not seen it as part of a recipe--

                  What kind of cookware was used during the 1800's? I'm thinking mainly cast iron? Maybe the scalding was to clean out the remnants of the last food cooked in there before you made the coffee. Old timers/purists claim you don't need to wash it very often once it's seasoned, just brush out the crumbs and such.

                  And I can confirm the paper perc filters, I have some here made by Melitta. They are square in shape with five pre-punched holes. They insert onto the stem in the perc basket, coffee is loaded, and then the flaps fold over and also attach to the stem before the top is put on.

                  Still looking at grinders btw--

                  Happy Easter.

                  Paul

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 31, 2013
                    I am considering a better grinder and I recall some discussions around a Meistro or something like that.. Is that still the best mid range grinder?

                    I ended up having a issue that heavily suggest that I not drink much regular coffee, ( or they would prefer none) but I am hanging on to using 80% decaf beans to 20% regular which seems to not be effecting me negatively.

                    I've never heard about scalding cookware before use, but I have seen some factory instructions for aluminum-ware recommending a similar procedure to remove any cutting oils that might have been splashed onto it during the manufacturing process. Have not seen it as part of a recipe--

                    What kind of cookware was used during the 1800's? I'm thinking mainly cast iron? Maybe the scalding was to clean out the remnants of the last food cooked in there before you made the coffee. Old timers/purists claim you don't need to wash it very often once it's seasoned, just brush out the crumbs and such.

                    And I can confirm the paper perc filters, I have some here made by Melitta. They are square in shape with five pre-punched holes. They insert onto the stem in the perc basket, coffee is loaded, and then the flaps fold over and also attach to the stem before the top is put on.

                    Still looking at grinders btw--

                    Happy Easter.

                    Paul

                    --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "larry h" <larryhollenb@...> wrote:

                    > One thing I have wondered when reading many old cooking suggestions for coffee is to "Scald" the pot before pouring in the water.. What do you think that accomplishes? Does it perhaps eliminate the metallic taste that aluminum pots can have if not used regularly?
                    >
                    > The other thought is more of a tip.. In using various kinds of coffee makers I not having a running water system have always hated removing the grounds from coffee makers of various types. The deep recesses of the drip pots that don't use a separate basket under the water container are among the ones I fought with to remove grounds. Even the perk baskets can be a pain to remove grounds from without making a mess. What I finally hit on was when I got a small 5 quart pail with a handle. Now I simply add water about two thirds deep and drip the coffee maker parts with most of the grounds dumped out on some newspaper into it and a few simple twist around in the water an the grounds come quickly out without much fuss. I then toss the water and grounds on the grass or flower beds.
                    >
                    > Hope everyone has a great easter weekend.

                  • iwillie_512
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 31, 2013
                      Hey Larry!

                      I've been using a Capresso Infinity conical burr grinder (Mod #560) for about 6 years now and it is absolutely great! I brush it out occasionally and have had zero problems. It was less than $100 back then.

                      dave k

                      --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hollenberg <larryhollenb@...> wrote:

                      > I am considering a better grinder and I recall some discussions around a Meistro or something like that.. Is that still the best mid range grinder?
                      >
                      > I ended up having a issue that heavily suggest that I not drink much regular coffee, ( or they would prefer none) but I am hanging on to using 80% decaf beans to 20% regular which seems to not be effecting me negatively.
                      >
                      > Larry

                    • Dave Bellware
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 31, 2013
                        Baratza addressed a couple of issues, and ignored a couple of others, when
                        they replaced their Maestro coffee grinder with the Encore, about a year
                        ago.

                        Many people say that the Encore is the lowest priced electric grinder that
                        it capable of an even grind over a wide range of grind levels. I certainly
                        noticed a huge difference in taste, due to improvement of grind
                        consistency, in my drip-brewed and vacuum-brewed coffee once I got my
                        Encore. The reason that the Encore does not produce fines, the powder that
                        accompanies grinding done with less capable grinders, is because the burrs
                        and mechanism are of sufficient quality to shave, rather than crush, the
                        coffee beans.

                        For true espresso made with non-pressurized portafilter espresso machines,
                        the Encore cannot produce the very fine necessary grind according to most
                        of those who make such espresso regularly, but it's significantly lower in
                        price than those electric grinders that are agreed to be truly
                        espresso-capable.

                        It's hard to find the Encore for any more, or for any less, than $129, but
                        free shipping is available from many sellers.

                        My only personal experiences are with a Mr Coffee burr grinder which I
                        replaced with an Encore almost a year ago. The difference is enormous.

                        Dave Bellware

                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 31, 2013
                          Dave,

                          Thanks that is the one I recall now that I see the name..  I too purchased the Mr. Coffee due to its low end price and didn't read the reviews on it.. I don't mind the grind do much as I do the total mess it makes due to the awful lid full of traps and made of vinyl.  I always have a mess to clean up when I use it.. Yes too the grind is surely not consistent by any means either but I am not quite to picky about that as some. But I do appreciate a decent design and recalled that one was not so prone to issues like the Mr. Coffee.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 31, 2013
                            I also have heard good things about the Capresso Infinity and I believe
                            it's still under $100.

                            Larry: If neatness is a bigger priority than grind quality, I can't
                            recommend the Encore. No matter what you do, there are going to be grinds
                            that remain in the chute with each use. They will, I guarantee, fall out
                            into the base and onto your counter once you remove the plastic grounds
                            container. It makes a bit of a mess.

                            Another Encore user said he was able to greatly alleviate that problem by
                            folding a strip of aluminum foil all around the opening of the grounds
                            container. I haven't tried that yet but I'm about to.

                            Dave Bellware

                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 31, 2013
                              Thanks for that tip Dave, it would appear to be a rather common problem with a grinder. Our old wall grinder will hang onto some grounds and drop them if you bump the glass against the bottom when removing it.  The big problem with the Mr. Coffee is the side exit which throws a big build up of very fine grinds against the plastic container an all over the inside of the removable top which as I mentioned has a lot of design parts that cause it to hold the finer grinds and  they always want to go everywhere in simply removing the top.

                              Maybe someone has a design that works well but is not so prone to making messes?

                              I also have heard good things about the Capresso Infinity and I believe
                              it's still under $100.

                              Larry: If neatness is a bigger priority than grind quality, I can't
                              recommend the Encore. No matter what you do, there are going to be grinds
                              that remain in the chute with each use. They will, I guarantee, fall out
                              into the base and onto your counter once you remove the plastic grounds
                              container. It makes a bit of a mess.

                              Another Encore user said he was able to greatly alleviate that problem by
                              folding a strip of aluminum foil all around the opening of the grounds
                              container. I haven't tried that yet but I'm about to.

                              Dave Bellware

                              On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 5:18 PM, iwillie_512 <kast.iron@...> wrote:

                              > **
                              >

                              > Hey Larry!
                              >
                              > I've been using a Capresso Infinity conical burr grinder (Mod #560) for
                              > about 6 years now and it is absolutely great! I brush it out occasionally
                              > and have had zero problems. It was less than $100 back then.
                              >
                              > dave k
                              >
                              > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Larry Hollenberg
                              > <larryhollenb@...> wrote:
                              > >

                              > > I am considering a better grinder and I recall some discussions around a
                              > Meistro or something like that.. Is that still the best mid range grinder?Â
                              > >
                              > > I ended up having a issue that heavily suggest that I not drink much
                              > regular coffee, ( or they would prefer none) but I am hanging on to using
                              > 80% decaf beans to 20% regular which seems to not be effecting me
                              > negatively.Â

                            • Ken Sann
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 31, 2013
                                Until recently I worked in the commercial coffee brewer industry, and we
                                found that this was actually caused by static electricity created when the
                                motors were running.
                                Not and easy problem to solve on the consumer end.
                                Use a small brush often.

                                ken

                                Ken Sann

                                On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 5:10 PM, Larry Hollenberg <larryhollenb@...>wrote:

                                > **
                                >

                                > Thanks for that tip Dave, it would appear to be a rather common problem
                                > with a grinder. Our old wall grinder will hang onto some grounds and drop
                                > them if you bump the glass against the bottom when removing it. The big
                                > problem with the Mr. Coffee is the side exit which throws a big build up of
                                > very fine grinds against the plastic container an all over the inside of
                                > the removable top which as I mentioned has a lot of design parts that cause
                                > it to hold the finer grinds and they always want to go everywhere in
                                > simply removing the top.
                                >
                                > Maybe someone has a design that works well but is not so prone to making
                                > messes?
                                >
                                > Larry,_._,___

                              • carol.vesperino
                                Message 15 of 19 , Apr 1, 2013
                                  Roland,
                                  I used to buy those, but I get the large basket filters free from
                                  work every time they change the style. Right now I have 4 large bags of them
                                  here and it seems they will last quite some time. Free is always good and
                                  they would throw the old style out.
                                  Carol

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Apr 1, 2013
                                    Larry,
                                    They look like the brushes in my gun cleaning kit. Maybe I should try
                                    one of the smaller calibers to see if it'll work.
                                    Carol

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Apr 1, 2013
                                      I did a little googling. It may be that scalding was merely to bring the pot
                                      up to temperature before actually doing the cooking.

                                      Roland

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Apr 1, 2013
                                        There was also copper and tinware. If I'm not mistaken, the word "tinker"
                                        comes from this.

                                        Roland

[...]

                                        <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com> , "larry h"