RE: [vacpot] Identifying a carafe

  • Cheryl Hicks
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 26, 2013
      I have this vacpot, and the original box that it came in. The label on the box says that it is a Cory small neck 12 cup The top is labeled C12U and the bottom is C12L. Hope that this helps. Cheryl :)

    • Cheryl Hicks
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 26, 2013
        On closer inspection of the pot pictured, this looks  different than my Cory pot. The Cory has a ribbed metal band and 2 screws that hold it on the small neck. This looks like the smaller, thinner glass vacpot that I have. No markings on it. Sorry about that. Cheryl

      • pawilh
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 26, 2013
          It's not really ribbed, it's just the way the light is catching the opacity of the glass. It probably has to do with the way it was made.

          But Silex, ok--

          So yes, there was this flea market I stopped at a few weeks ago where I found a couple of older coffee-related items, and way in the back of the place I saw one of these carafes, sitting on a shelf with some other odds/ends glassware. Having looked at a number of the older rigs on-line it struck me that it was for a vac-pot, but I could find no markings on it. It was definitely Pyrex though, with that same style of handle, and had about a 1-1/2" opening on top.

          I don't have any of the narrow-neck glass brewers myself so I thought I would ask. I've run across a few other orphaned vac-pot parts here and there in my travels, and can tell you that you just don't see the things for sale anyplace, even the newer Sunbeam electrics.

          And it's funny why that is-- You have to wonder if people are still using most of them, or if they have been discarded by a generation not familiar with what they were.

          To draw a modern analogy to that I think about how stove-top perculators can now (usually) only be found in the camping departments of most major retailers, and that most of the people in my age group probably wouldn't know how to use one, or even what parts fit inside-- The autodrip revolution has forever changed things.

          Paul

          --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Lou Pape, LMT" <loupape@...> wrote:

          > It looks like a silex except for the way the glass is ribbed.

        • Cheryl
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 26, 2013
            Could this be a Taste King? Cheryl

            --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "pawilh" <pawilh@...> wrote:

            > It's not really ribbed, it's just the way the light is catching the opacity of the glass. It probably has to do with the way it was made.
            >
            > But Silex, ok--
            >
            > So yes, there was this flea market I stopped at a few weeks ago where I found a couple of older coffee-related items, and way in the back of the place I saw one of these carafes, sitting on a shelf with some other odds/ends glassware. Having looked at a number of the older rigs on-line it struck me that it was for a vac-pot, but I could find no markings on it. It was definitely Pyrex though, with that same style of handle, and had about a 1-1/2" opening on top.
            >
            > I don't have any of the narrow-neck glass brewers myself so I thought I would ask. I've run across a few other orphaned vac-pot parts here and there in my travels, and can tell you that you just don't see the things for sale anyplace, even the newer Sunbeam electrics.
            >
            > And it's funny why that is-- You have to wonder if people are still using most of them, or if they have been discarded by a generation not familiar with what they were.
            >
            > To draw a modern analogy to that I think about how stove-top perculators can now (usually) only be found in the camping departments of most major retailers, and that most of the people in my age group probably wouldn't know how to use one, or even what parts fit inside-- The autodrip revolution has forever changed things.
            >
            > Paul
            >

            > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Lou Pape, LMT" <loupape@> wrote:
            > >
            > > It looks like a silex except for the way the glass is ribbed.

          • Greg Bohm
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 26, 2013
              Hi,

              I'm a long time frenchpress guy that wants to give vacuum pot coffee a try.

              I purchased a Nicro vacuum pot on eBay a while ago and am curious what model/size I have.

              The carafe is about 6 inches high by 5.5 inches across and will hold 9 cups of water right up to the brim.

              There is nothing to indicate a model number on the bottom like I've seen on other Nicro pots.  All it has is Nicro - Stainless Steel - Chicago - Pat. Pend. stamped on the bottom.

              Any ideas what model I have?  Also, what is the most 8 oz. cups of coffee I can make at a time?

              Regards,
              Greg

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 26, 2013
                Greg,

                I would say most likely you have a 6-8 cup pot. Perhaps you will find a pot like it in the photos section of albums.

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 26, 2013
                  Hi Greg-

                  Its hard to determine what model you have just by description as many of the Nicros were similar in size/appearance. Main differences being in styling (decorative rings), funnel shape, and the handle of the carafe. There are a number of good pics here in the gallery, or you could do a Google image search for Nicro Vacuum Coffee Maker and look at the descriptions of the images you find.

                  This sounds like a new type of brewer for you and as its a stovetop unit you'll have to be patient and play with heat and methodology until you get satisfactory results.

                  I was fortune enough to have started out with a glass Shaw-Hills unit that still had the factory directions with it. When I recently purchased my Nicro I was disappointed with my first several attempts to brew with it, and ultimately found I had to increase my stove temp. Since then its been great, I use it about twice a day.

                  Hope some of this helps-- Good luck, you made a great purchase.

                  Paul

                  --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Greg Bohm <greg@...> wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  >
                  > I'm a long time frenchpress guy that wants to give vacuum pot coffee a try.
                  >
                  > I purchased a Nicro vacuum pot on eBay a while ago and am curious what model/size I have.
                  >
                  > The carafe is about 6 inches high by 5.5 inches across and will hold 9 cups of water right up to the brim.
                  >
                  > There is nothing to indicate a model number on the bottom like I've seen on other Nicro pots.  All it has is Nicro - Stainless Steel - Chicago - Pat. Pend. stamped on the bottom.
                  >
                  > Any ideas what model I have?  Also, what is the most 8 oz. cups of coffee I can make at a time?
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Greg

                • astronut1001
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 7
                    9 cups or 72 ounces of water would be a 1512B size 12 cups nominal carafe.  I have a no model number one of that size too.  The upper unit should be the large one with most likely a 4" long vacuum tube I believe.  I would start with 60 ounces of water and see how things go.  Also start with about 3 ounces of coffee and adjust as necessart to your taste.  I like my coffee strong but basically the final product quantity will be decreased by about 2 ounces of water for each ounce of grounds used due to water absorption by the coffee grounds during brewing.

                    When the water starts rising cut back the fire so that you do not get boil over from the funnel unit when the steam starts through it and stir to mix the water and coffee grounds during the water rise in the funnel.  Experiment with brew time and coffee quantity to achieve what you like in the way of coffee strength and flavor.

                    I know this was an old post I am answering but it seemed like the only original answer was a bit inadequate.

                    Rich Wood