Re: [vacpot] Nicro brewing--

  • pawilh
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 22, 2013
      Thanks for the info. I had been looking at the lox filters actually as I am thinking something like that would disperse the water/air into the grounds better than the stock disk, which seems to only bubble right in the center during brewing.

      I also have a theory that the siphon tube on the Nicros is a bit large in bore size, compared to other working pots I have here. Optimal brewing seems like it is suppose to start with a bit of an eruption, and then some rather vigorous bubbling. Not seeing that with the Nicro-- A glass rod may help with that as well by reducing bore size, so appreciate the confirmation on that.

      I am still very curious as to what the OEM instructions are for using the pot, and whether there was some trick, or methodology I'm missing.

      --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Roland" <rsburritt@...> wrote:

      > BTW, the nicro filter is not very good, IMO. I have one, but just for
      > posterity. What IMO works best in a Nicro pot is either the Silex Lox-In
      > rod, or the Sunbeam Coffeemaster filter apparatus--the latest design with
      > the metal grid over the fine mesh filter. A third choice is the spring
      > filters that are designed to have a cloth over them. I use a basket shaped
      > paper filter and wrap it over the spring, then tuck it down inside the tube.
      > I know that in Vacpot brewing many people want the oils. I tend to enjoy the
      > coffee more when it's less oily, which the use of the paper filter over the
      > spring holder seems to accomplish.
      >

      > Roland

    • pawilh
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 22, 2013
        Ok, finally nailed a batch! It looks like the issue may be stove temperature. Instead of brewing at MED this time I increased by one notch, now between MED and MED HI.
        Once the water in the carafe began to boil I attached the the topworks, and got the eruption and rapid boiling I'm used to seeing, despite using the Nicro disk filter. I brewed for about 2min with 1.25tbs coffee/cup (and a SS pot lid) before removing from heat, and it was actually a bit on the strong side this time, but very close.

        Looks like I'm on the right track--

        Paul

        --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Roland" <rsburritt@...> wrote:

        > BTW, the nicro filter is not very good, IMO. I have one, but just for
        > posterity. What IMO works best in a Nicro pot is either the Silex Lox-In
        > rod, or the Sunbeam Coffeemaster filter apparatus--the latest design with
        > the metal grid over the fine mesh filter. A third choice is the spring
        > filters that are designed to have a cloth over them. I use a basket shaped
        > paper filter and wrap it over the spring, then tuck it down inside the tube.
        > I know that in Vacpot brewing many people want the oils. I tend to enjoy the
        > coffee more when it's less oily, which the use of the paper filter over the
        > spring holder seems to accomplish.
        >

        > Roland

      • Brian Helfrich
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 22, 2013
          And that is one of the two main reasons that French Press coffee is not as
          good as vac pot coffee.

          Brian

          > Ok, finally nailed a batch! It looks like the issue may be stove
          > temperature. Instead of brewing at MED this time I increased by one
          > notch, now between MED and MED HI.
          > Once the water in the carafe began to boil I attached the the topworks,
          > and got the eruption and rapid boiling I'm used to seeing, despite using
          > the Nicro disk filter. I brewed for about 2min with 1.25tbs coffee/cup
          > (and a SS pot lid) before removing from heat, and it was actually a bit on
          > the strong side this time, but very close.
          >
          > Looks like I'm on the right track--
          >
          > Paul
          >

          > --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, "Roland" <rsburritt@...>
          > wrote:
          >>
          >> BTW, the nicro filter is not very good, IMO. I have one, but just for
          >> posterity. What IMO works best in a Nicro pot is either the Silex Lox-In
          >> rod, or the Sunbeam Coffeemaster filter apparatus--the latest design with
          >> the metal grid over the fine mesh filter. A third choice is the spring
          >> filters that are designed to have a cloth over them. I use a basket
          >> shaped
          >> paper filter and wrap it over the spring, then tuck it down inside the
          >> tube.
          >> I know that in Vacpot brewing many people want the oils. I tend to enjoy
          >> the
          >> coffee more when it's less oily, which the use of the paper filter over
          >> the
          >> spring holder seems to accomplish.
          >>

          >> Roland

        • Roland
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 22, 2013
            That's an interesting theory. One thing that comes to mind, though, is that
            Kent pots have a wide bore funnel and make excellent coffee.

            Roland

            Thanks for the info. I had been looking at the lox filters actually as I am
            thinking something like that would disperse the water/air into the grounds
            better than the stock disk, which seems to only bubble right in the center
            during brewing.

            I also have a theory that the siphon tube on the Nicros is a bit large in
            bore size, compared to other working pots I have here. Optimal brewing seems
            like it is suppose to start with a bit of an eruption, and then some rather
            vigorous bubbling. Not seeing that with the Nicro-- A glass rod may help
            with that as well by reducing bore size, so appreciate the confirmation on
            that.

            I am still very curious as to what the OEM instructions are for using the
            pot, and whether there was some trick, or methodology I'm missing.

            --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
            <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com> , "Roland"
            <rsburritt@...> wrote:

            > BTW, the nicro filter is not very good, IMO. I have one, but just for
            > posterity. What IMO works best in a Nicro pot is either the Silex Lox-In
            > rod, or the Sunbeam Coffeemaster filter apparatus--the latest design with
            > the metal grid over the fine mesh filter. A third choice is the spring
            > filters that are designed to have a cloth over them. I use a basket shaped
            > paper filter and wrap it over the spring, then tuck it down inside the
            tube.
            > I know that in Vacpot brewing many people want the oils. I tend to enjoy
            the
            > coffee more when it's less oily, which the use of the paper filter over
            the
            > spring holder seems to accomplish.
            >

            > Roland
            >

            > From: vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com
            <mailto:vacuumcoffeepotcollector%40yahoogroups.com>
            > Subject: [vacpot] Nicro brewing--
            >

            > Well, been playing on/off with my Nicro stovetop brewer and not satisfied
            > with my results.
            >
            > Tried bringing water to boil before inserting the topworks, then reducing
            > heat and brewing for 5min--ended up with weak, over-cooked tasting batch.
            >
            > Biggest problem I have is with the weakness of the brew, using the same
            > amount of coffee (1tbs/cup) as my other two brewers. The priciples are the
            > same, same amount of water/coffee, but cannot duplicate the brewing
            strength
            > with the Nicro.
            >
            > Any thoughts? Been through the photo gallery here, and have done some
            > earnest looking, but cannot locate the factory instructions for this pot?
            > Does anyone have the manual?
            >
            > Thanks! Paul

          • pawilh
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 22, 2013
              Yeah, I've been playing with the cooking/brewing temperature on my stove and am finding that the Nicro needs more heat to duplicate the brewing action of my glass vac pot.

              It would be nice to have the original instructions!

              Paul

            • pawilh
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 29, 2013
                Well, found the OEM directions for my pot, which is a Cory Flavorseal 18-8. Looks like I was fairly close in how I was using it. Will list same below, and try to upload the actual jpeg of the booklet I am taking them from.

                Note: (1) "coffee" cup = 6oz = 3/4 std cup

                1.Measure water into server
                2.Be sure filter is in place with hook secured on stem of upper bowl
                3.To upper bowl, add 1 tablespoon of vacuum or drip grind coffee for each cup. (After using your FLAVOR-SEAL brewer a few times, you will soon determine the preferred amount of coffee to suit your taste.)
                4.When water in server comes to a boil, turn heat low and place UPPER BOWL on server; twist slightly to insure tight seal.
                5.When water has risen into upper bowl, stir with a spoon and allow to brew for about 3 minutes over low heat.
                6.Remove from heat, when Coffee maker cools, brew will return to lower bowl
                7.Remove upper bowl . . . your FLAVOR-SEAL server is now full of delicious Coffee made the FLAVOR-SEAL way . . . ready to be served.

                Paul