Re: [vacpot] Hi.. New owner of a C30C that died after one use...

  • P. Wilhelm
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 4, 2013
      The C30C is the metal/chrome set with built-in 120vac heater.

      I am thinking the heater/base obviously has to be removed, but not sure what the bottom of the carafe looks like without the heater, and if it will then sit flat on a stovetop with some sort of mod.
    • carol.vesperino
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 4, 2013
        Maybe a wok base??
        Carol

        In a message dated 3/4/2013 9:03:50 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
        pawilh@... writes:

        The C30C is the metal/chrome set with built-in 120vac heater.

        I am thinking the heater/base obviously has to be removed, but not sure
        what the bottom of the carafe looks like without the heater, and if it will
        then sit flat on a stovetop with some sort of mod.

      • Roland
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 5, 2013
          Any idea why it died? Did it get wet during your cleaning? Is there
          perhaps a bad electrical connection that can be redone?

          Roland

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 5, 2013
            Thanks for all the responses. I was quite careful when cleaning it, so I do not believe it is a water issue. I checked the continuity of the heater coil and it appears to be open. I was hoping that I was missing something and that someone here could suggest a solution, but it does not look promising.

            Perhaps I will try and remove more of the base today and get a close up look at the element and proceed from there.
          • Robert Bennett II
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 5, 2013
              Good luck with it. I Googled your machine, and it really looks cool. I'm betting that somehow it will be fixable. The fact that you found someone's initials inside it usually means it's been serviced before. It was probably nothing you did, just coincidence....Hang in.

              Thanks for all the responses. I was quite careful when cleaning it, so I do not believe it is a water issue. I checked the continuity of the heater coil and it appears to be open. I was hoping that I was missing something and that someone here could suggest a solution, but it does not look promising.

              Perhaps I will try and remove more of the base today and get a close up look at the element and proceed from there.

            • Lou Pape, LMT
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 5, 2013
                Someone mentioned something about the electric prongs coming loose with use;
                if I remember correctly. They also explained how to fix this.

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 5, 2013
                  There is a Sunbeam C30B,C service manual posted here--look in "files".

                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 5, 2013
                    I have a VERY old flip-side toaster, and was told that occasionally the
                    wires burn through. Could something like that have happened to your pot? I
                    even had the electric element in my oven melt and burn through once, so it IS
                    a possibility.
                    Carol V___PA.

                    In a message dated 3/5/2013 1:36:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                    zack832@... writes:

                    Thanks for all the responses. I was quite careful when cleaning it, so I
                    do not believe it is a water issue. I checked the continuity of the heater
                    coil and it appears to be open. I was hoping that I was missing something
                    and that someone here could suggest a solution, but it does not look
                    promising.

                    Perhaps I will try and remove more of the base today and get a close up
                    look at the element and proceed from there.

                  • David Fiore
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 6, 2013
                      I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but according to the service manual for
                      the C30, the heating element is not repairable. That being said, if you
                      look on ebay, you will often find a lower pot for sale without the upper,
                      but the upper is seldom found by itself, so I would just go ahead and pick
                      up a new lower.

                      Cheers,
                      -dbf

                      On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 10:42 PM, <cvthedragonlady@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > I have a VERY old flip-side toaster, and was told that occasionally the
                      > wires burn through. Could something like that have happened to your pot? I
                      > even had the electric element in my oven melt and burn through once, so it
                      > IS
                      > a possibility.
                      > Carol V___PA.
                      >

                      > In a message dated 3/5/2013 1:36:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                      > zack832@... writes:
                      >
                      > Thanks for all the responses. I was quite careful when cleaning it, so I
                      > do not believe it is a water issue. I checked the continuity of the heater
                      > coil and it appears to be open. I was hoping that I was missing something
                      > and that someone here could suggest a solution, but it does not look
                      > promising.
                      >
                      > Perhaps I will try and remove more of the base today and get a close up
                      > look at the element and proceed from there.

                    • John A.
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 6, 2013
                        Hi, The only way to know for sure about the element is to disassemble the unit and check continuity directly at the element terminals themselves. I once had a similar experience, but the problem turned out to just be a faulty cord. Very odd that a machine in the condition you described would have a defunct element. At any rate, the copper scrap value for a stripped down Coffeemaster lower bowl is between $5 and $6. Good Luck.

                        John A.

                        --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, David Fiore <david@...> wrote:

                        > I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but according to the service manual for
                        > the C30, the heating element is not repairable. That being said, if you
                        > look on ebay, you will often find a lower pot for sale without the upper,
                        > but the upper is seldom found by itself, so I would just go ahead and pick
                        > up a new lower.
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        > -dbf
                        >
                        > On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 10:42 PM, <cvthedragonlady@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > **
                        > >

                        > > I have a VERY old flip-side toaster, and was told that occasionally the
                        > > wires burn through. Could something like that have happened to your pot? I
                        > > even had the electric element in my oven melt and burn through once, so it
                        > > IS
                        > > a possibility.
                        > > Carol V___PA.
                        > >

                        > > In a message dated 3/5/2013 1:36:03 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                        > > zack832@... writes:
                        > >
                        > > Thanks for all the responses. I was quite careful when cleaning it, so I
                        > > do not believe it is a water issue. I checked the continuity of the heater
                        > > coil and it appears to be open. I was hoping that I was missing something
                        > > and that someone here could suggest a solution, but it does not look
                        > > promising.
                        > >
                        > > Perhaps I will try and remove more of the base today and get a close up
                        > > look at the element and proceed from there.

                        > --

                      • P. Wilhelm
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 6, 2013
                          I agree, I'm hoping he finds something minor wrong with the thermostat, or something else repairable.

                          Heaters do periodically fail, but they generally make a hot-spot before they burn through. Resistive short--
                        • John A.
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 6, 2013
                            Yep, I'm betting that the old Coffeemaster is still functional, too. Actually, those initials on the lower metal clamp plate probably belong to the factory guy who did the final adjustments on the machine before it was packaged. He would record the pyrometer readings for HIGH and LOW temps in pencil. For example, something like 330 degrees for HIGH, and perhaps 210 degrees for LOW, and then make his initials. Of course, he never did it right, so we now go to great lengths to readjust these babies... ;-)

                            John A.

                            BTW, I have a pictorial breakdown of a C30C in my album here --
                            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vacuumcoffeepotcollector/photos/album/773096545/pic/list?mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc
                            and a link to my scanned original Sunbeam Service Bulletin here --
                            https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1jAt_aywEGn-B0LkwmtKbM4wcZ6E0-F1qQ4aPSk-Kp_U&pli=1

                            --- In vacuumcoffeepotcollector@yahoogroups.com, Robert Bennett II <rbennett47@...> wrote:

                            > Good luck with it. I Googled your machine, and it really looks cool. I'm betting that somehow it will be fixable. The fact that you found someone's initials inside it usually means it's been serviced before. It was probably nothing you did, just coincidence....Hang in.

                          • Zack
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 26, 2013
                              Well I finally tore the unit apart, the heater is definitely burned out. i disassembled the bottom as much as I could, took the thermostat and switch off and used it on the gas stove top. Made a pot of coffee, turned out quite well for the first try.

                              That encouraged me to buy a base on ebay, there was a newly listed C30C base and lid for $14.95 + shipping so I sprang for it. My upper bowl is fine but I am missing the lid, so this should work out well. Prices certainly seem high on ebay at the moment as someone else posted, opted for buy it now instead of bidding on the base as it could go much higher, seems the C30C bases are in very short supply.

                              Thanks for the help, I'll post again when I get the base.
                            • Lou Pape, LMT
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 27, 2013
                                Hi all!

                                I sold a c30c with the tray and sugar creamer a while back. Now I wish I'd
                                kept it. I have 3 c30a's and 2 c20's .. they all make great coffee.

                                Here is the one I sold : http://pinterest.com/pin/383157880766886007/

                                Here is some of my collection:
                                http://pinterest.com/loupape/my-vintage-coffee-pots/

                                I found my first vacuum pot in a yard sale in New Hampshire .. It's hard to
                                find them from that era here in Houston in thrift stores or yards sales -
                                not enough old neighborhoods.

                                I'm so glad I joined this group!

                                Lou

                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 27, 2013
                                  Neat collection. Hey, is that an auto-drip I see there? Lololol

                                  They seem to be scarse up north too, even in the antique shops. Some years ago--mid 90's--my wife and I went to an estate sale where the owner must have been a collector, mainly of the glass pots, and literally had shelves full of them. I picked my first brewer up there and somehow it was put away and never used until this year.

                                  I sure would like to run across another estate sale like that one--

                                  Paul

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 28, 2013
                                    Lou, that is a very nice collection, like the display. Anxious to get brewing when my base arrives. Hope this does not start me on another collection, I have a few others.
                                  • Dave
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 29, 2013
                                      Hi Zack,

                                      I'm the one that converted the C30 to stove-top use. I removed all electronics and plastic from the bottom (The heating element is welded on, so stays). The brass bolt in the center needs to be sawed off almost flush and maybe ground down. Then take a socket and place around the bolt stub and, using a hammer, tap the bottom so it is no longer bowled. The ends of the heating element need to be bent/hammered or cut off so the whole element is flat. This is to keep it from rocking. It wouldn't hurt to flatten the element with a hammer some, but may not be needed. I did it without trying it without first.
                                      The whole thing makes a dandy, nice looking and rugged stove-top brewer.

                                      Dave in Michigan